General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Drop the Motor or Leave in car and drop tranny for stall?
Drop the motor!
40.91%
Drop the tranny and leave motor in car!
59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Drop the motor or not????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS199CAMAROZ28
buy a k member if you pull it and do it all at once
One more vote for the K member.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
I've pulled two engines, one from the top and one from the bottom. Switched heads multiple times, both with the engine in and out of the bay. I really don't see the benefit for the h/c swap, there's plenty of room in the engine bay. the added difficulty of having the engine in the bay sure wouldnt make up for the 4 hrs to pull the motor and tranny. i'll give you lining up the transmission is easier with motor out though, lol
I agree with you for just a H/C swap leave it in the car. I guess I went this way mainly for the trany removal and installation. I've removed my heads in the car too, with studs to boot, and its not that bad. I also have a lift so that will also sway me to just drop every thing and do something that major out side the car.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 287 Likes on 216 Posts

It takes me an hour to drop my Engine.. drop it and it will be alot easier.

I'm installing a T56 when I get back and I have to replace some Coolant Lines and flush the Coolant out of the engine, so it might just drop mine cause it'll be easier to do it with it on the ground and do all the other stuff I have to do. Then again all I'll have to do is unbolt the Sway Bay and the Brakes, then it's pretty much on the ground.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say drop it, it's a learning experience right? Plus it'd be easier imo. I'd even give ya a hand so i could learn a little bit, but you are pretty far away.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped my motor with a lift and it nearly took me all day. Then I was doing something else and left it in the car, turned out to me easier leaving the motor in the car. YOu will not have to worry about aligning the car if you leave the motor in it.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend with a camaro that I helped with heads, cam, headers, and such and we left the motor in the car. It wasn't too bad, but really I would just drop the whole thing with the tranny because those tranny bolts are a bitch to get to. Not to mention headers, especially LT's suck to try and fit with the motor in there. In the long run I think you'll be happy you did. Good luck with the project though.

Kyle
Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these motors ar easy to take out. last motor I swaped for someone. Took me about 6 hours granted that was 2 people working. but still as much stuff as you are doing personally I would just drop the motor. At home on the floor I can have the motor out of my car in 3 hours. At work with a lift 1.5 hours. To me the stress on the body of leaning over the nose of the car doing a head and cam swap when I would be doing headers and pulling the tranny too I would take the extra time to drop the motor to make the head/cam sway easier.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a lot more work to pull the engine and not neccessary for the amount of work your doing. I've swapped heads ,headers, clutch without pullin the motor. It gets easier after the first time. Just take ur time !
Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I'd say drop it, it's a learning experience right? Plus it'd be easier imo. I'd even give ya a hand so i could learn a little bit, but you are pretty far away.

Ya that would be a long drive lol
Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

both are going to take some taking apart and putting back together but it probably would save you some busted knuckles if you dropped the motor.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My good friend who works on this cars, says he cna get the motor an trans out from the top with the hood still on. Trick is to put the car on jackstands so its off the ground some giving you some wiggle room to pull it all out
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RsSean
I dropped my motor with a lift and it nearly took me all day. Then I was doing something else and left it in the car, turned out to me easier leaving the motor in the car. YOu will not have to worry about aligning the car if you leave the motor in it.

I have never had to realign one of these after taking the the motor out. The cradle has alignment pins so it only goes in in one postiion and the front shocks go into round holes on the towers. I have had many checked afterwards always right on so I don't worry about that anymore.

+1 for taking the motor out. I have dropped them out as quick as 1 hour without a lift. They are pretty easy once you have done it a time or 2.