General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Winter Protection for F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Protection for F-Body?

So I am thinking about getting an ls1 f-body but the only thing is I can only have one car becuase of space. I am not to worried about driving a rear wheel drive car in the winter becuase I will just put sand bags in the trunk.

The main reason I didnt want to get an ls1 was becuase if I drove one in the winter i would feel like I was slaping the car gods across the face. So is their anytype of "Rust Preventive" or anything like that? What do you guys think of undercoasting?

Its either an ls1 or a SRT-four becuase after all it is just a Neon i could care less about rust as much.

Last edited by 408firebird; 01-12-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly i winter drive mine. I spray it with simple rust proofing spray on the steel sections underneath and give it a good wash in the spring. 3 winters on it and no significant accumulations of rust on anything really (I've seen texas cars with near rust colored rear end).

I don't sand bag it either. Just a good set of winter tires. The suspension is meant to hug the road, and it will do that as long as you a) keep off the throttle b) have tires for the situation.

The LS1's "lack" of low end torque is a blessing really as it makes it perfect to get around in deep snow, not too much torque to break traction, but plenty to get the car moving.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Well thats good to hear is there anyone else driving theirs during the winter and have any tips?
What do you guys think about undercoating?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had my car through 5 winters. Granted not an LS1, but still a Camaro. I make sure to have a good heavy coat of wax as late in the season as possible, just before the snow hits, to keep the paint protected. I've never undercoated it before, but I was just under the car a few weeks ago and noticed some pretty big chunks of surface rust. It's nothing too bad being surface rust, but I want to take care of it asap.

I'm going to strip the bottom of the car as best I can of all rust and any parts that can be easily taken off and replaced to under coat it. I'm not certain what I'll use to do this, but it'll probably be something like a roll on rhino liner, lizard skin, etc.

If your car is going to be a winter DD for quite a few years and you expect snow and especially salt, I'd definitely suggest under coating it. I wish I had when I first bought my car. I would've saved me a lot of work coming this spring.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm using my F-body this winter as well, sadly. To get myself set up for the winter, I've done the rustproofing, nice set of rubber floor mats (done want to ruin the carpet) and four 'good' snow tires. I don't put anything in the back though. You'd actually be suprised with how well these cars handle the snow. The only issue you could run into is ground clearance in really heavy snow, but that doesn't happen to often. I'm quite fortunate to have one of those do-it-yourself coin car washes about 2 minutes from my house and I use it daily. I would make sure to give it a good spray down at least once a week. I've given that darn car wash too much money, ha, ha!!! You'll be fine though!! Just use some commen sense, and good judgement....just like winter driving any other car for that matter really! Unfortunetly, it's the other drivers we have too look out for.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Snow tires
2. Rinse as often as possible when salt accumulates
3. Use POR-15 on the parts that do rust...

I've only had to drive my Camaro through one bad winter, and it made it just fine. Thankfully, I was able to get my truck for a DD, so the Camaro stays in a garage now. MUCH easier to keep clean now.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I forgot to mention that too. A good set of snow tires are a MUST. I suggest having to full sets if possible; winter / summer. Not that all season crap. Also run as skinny as you can on whatever rim you're running. I'm on the stock 16" snowflakes for the winter and running 225/60/16 (stock is 235). The skinnier tires help bite / dig through the snow.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Ok sweet well I am glad you guys said that. I have been really wanting an LS1 since seeing them on the car lots when i was a lil'kid.