General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is throttle body bypass worth it on ls1

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidadavila
funny thing is that i did the air injection mod
Whats the air injection mod?

You mean you took the air injection pump off that pumps cool air into the hot exhaust for 90 seconds after start up?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

i think he is talking about removing EGR, cuz it injects exhaust back in the intake
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i have taken my TB off several times in the last year and im glad i can do it easily without getting coolant everywhere. for that its worth it.
Thats the number one reason I did it. I did it when I put on a ported TB. 6 months later when I bought an LS6 intake and swapped it on it was one less mess I had to worry about. And if I ever swap to a FAST intake and bigger TB, its already done and out of the way.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For any newbie's...I got my Ported throttle body back from Spartan performance, I went ahead and did the throttle body coolant bypass. I was scared to do it at first but I jumped in and it was cake! I went to Kragen and bought 2ft of 5/16" coolant tubing, two worm clamps, and zip ties. I ran the tubing along where you see in the last pic and clamped each end to the corresponding place it needed to go. At first I didn't have the zip tie, but the tubing was a little close to the pulleys for me so I used one zip tie to hold it back a bit. It cost about $5.33 for the parts and took me roughly 6-7min. Hope this helps anyone who had questions about how to do this or where to run the tubing. You'll see in the last pic there is a little protective sheath on the middle of the tubing. I just put that there from the old tubing, thought it couldn't hurt! The red line shows where the tubing is routed, and the red circle is where I used the one zip tie.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I plan on doing it to my Truck when I take the TB off to clean it.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^^very good job, looks like factory.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it depends how much 15 minutes of your time is worth for free horsepower.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
For any newbie's...I got my Ported throttle body back from Spartan performance, I went ahead and did the throttle body coolant bypass. I was scared to do it at first but I jumped in and it was cake! I went to Kragen and bought 2ft of 5/16" coolant tubing, two worm clamps, and zip ties. I ran the tubing along where you see in the last pic and clamped each end to the corresponding place it needed to go. At first I didn't have the zip tie, but the tubing was a little close to the pulleys for me so I used one zip tie to hold it back a bit. It cost about $5.33 for the parts and took me roughly 6-7min. Hope this helps anyone who had questions about how to do this or where to run the tubing. You'll see in the last pic there is a little protective sheath on the middle of the tubing. I just put that there from the old tubing, thought it couldn't hurt! The red line shows where the tubing is routed, and the red circle is where I used the one zip tie.
very clean install, good work!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Whats the air injection mod?

You mean you took the air injection pump off that pumps cool air into the hot exhaust for 90 seconds after start up?

yea that and the tubes that come off the exhaust, it feels better for sure....or im just crazy
Old 01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ maybe your egr was stuck open so it was always putting hot air in the system causing a rough idle
Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

maybe could be......i still dont see how this mod would give up to 6 hp
Old 01-31-2019, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Default Stuck throttle blade

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Wow, the only educated answer as to why GM added it in the first place.

As said, it is on there for extreme cold conditions where the throttle body blade will freeze over and potentially stay frozen open. This is a very hazzardous condition, and it will not necessarily happen in snow conditions. It can happen at a race track (test and tune) and the throttle body will freeze open. Because the general public is stupid (and lawyers want money), GM put that in place to prevent such a thing, or being sued.

The colder the ambient air, the more power you will experience. The coolant will keep the throttle body near coolant temperature if left stock. Touch the throttle body on a factory stock setup, and let us know if it is hot.
carb throttle blades never stuck and they never had coolant run to them.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
carb throttle blades never stuck and they never had coolant run to them.
Reviving a 10 year old post to show that you don't know about the heat riser?

Quick Reply: Is throttle body bypass worth it on ls1