General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is GM getting rid of Pontiac ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is GM getting rid of Pontiac ????

What do you think ? I have heard talk about but do you think they will. I'm trying to sell my 01 WS6 to get into a vette and I'm thinking maybe I should wait and see what happens because if they do the Trans Am WS6 model might be the one to go up a little in value or at the least hold its value better then the Camaro SS model even though they have the same drive train.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know it is hard to believe because Pontiac has had so many nice car's and the GTO started the muscle car era but it is possible and if so your car will be worth more in the future.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Personally I believe it is going to go (I dont like the thought). But I also think several of there cars started to look similar to there own cars.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

It wouldnt suprise me if GM got rid of certain brands like pontiac b/c of there strugle to stay in business, but if pontiac does go down the drain you will probable have to wait a LONG TIME before you see any noticable increase in your cars value and that is only if it is a low miles mint car. So I would say if you want a vette sell it now and get a vette, F- bodies are great cars but not when it comes to holding value
Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

I couldn`t see them getting rid of Pontiac. I could however see them getting rid of 1 of there smaller brand names. (ie- Saturn or something)
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know I think GM is trying to sell hummer and maybe Saturn. But I do not see GM closing another brand like they did Olds. It cost GM a ton of $$$$ to close olds because they had to buy the dealers out of the franchise. If anything GM will just be limiting the number of cars that the Name carries in order to keep cost down.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought they just made an announcement saying no more saturn and hummer?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

People need to stop thinking about F-bodies as piggy banks just waiting to explode. These cars are completely worthless as of now, and assuming the planet is still around in the next 20 years you just MIGHT see an increase in value. These are musclecars, not fine exotics from Europe. Drive it and forget about it.

In regards to GM selling Pontiac? I couldn't care less; I've got mine and they could go by the way of the dinosaur for all I care...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

will the t/a hold its value over the ss? absolutely. there's another camaro coming out, there wont be a new t/a for a LONG time either way so ours really are last of the breed. but unless you have a low mileage garage queen thats in excellent form and have all stock parts, i wouldn't think it will be worth but so much since so many were made (i dont know anything about classic car values though).

if you have always wanted a corvette, get one imo.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No pontiac will still be around. Hummer is going to close and I want to say saturn, other than those two the apply to the most of use, then Opel maybe closing as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

There's already a thread kind of about this here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...rn-hummer.html

And I'd say the writing is on the wall for Pontiac. Bye bye.

Automotive News [sub] reports that Bob Lutz has admitted that GM is trimming Pontiac’s line-up to five vehicles– if you count the Solstice hardtop as a separate model. Which we don’t. That leaves Pontiac with four vehicles: the doomed Australian-sourced G8, the G5, the Toyota co-production Vibe and the dead-in-the-water “we don’t need no stinkin’ trunk space” Solstice.
That's not enough vehicles to support a separate brand.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

I know these cars are not going to be the next 69 Z28. I'm usually the poster that say that when someone else make a topic what will my car be worth in 10 years. I know they made a boat load of them. I just thought since the camaro will be in production and no firebird/trans am will be made to go up against it the value or should I say interest might go up,thats all I'm saying. Heck I dont have to sell it to buy the vette. It is the garage space that is hurting me and also insurance on 2 cars I dont like.
Garage Queen
Stress reliever
Show Car

Last edited by 01WS6A4; 01-19-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

hell you never know in 2060 barratt jackson auctions these things will probably sell for as much as 69 camaros do now, im sure people didnt think that in 1968 there cars would be selling for 100+k in 40 years ya know, but that is a long long time from now lol. and no i dont think pontiac is gonig anywhere.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Launching!

GM has way too many brands and overlap between them. Hummer is for sale and nobody wants it. Saturn will probably go away because a lot of their cars are not unique. Pontiac will be a unique product within Buick dealerships. This is what the GM brass was saying when they were in from of Congress looking for some bailout money.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
People need to stop thinking about F-bodies as piggy banks just waiting to explode. These cars are completely worthless as of now, and assuming the planet is still around in the next 20 years you just MIGHT see an increase in value. These are musclecars, not fine exotics from Europe. Drive it and forget about it.

In regards to GM selling Pontiac? I couldn't care less; I've got mine and they could go by the way of the dinosaur for all I care...
my thoughts exactly
Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
As far as I know I think GM is trying to sell hummer and maybe Saturn. But I do not see GM closing another brand like they did Olds. It cost GM a ton of $$$$ to close olds because they had to buy the dealers out of the franchise. If anything GM will just be limiting the number of cars that the Name carries in order to keep cost down.
Bingo.
Unless GM takes out bankruptcy to get out of its dealership agreements, they will get hosed by the
franchisees due to lopsided state franchise laws. Pontiac will be a shadow of its former self.

It would be interesting to see how many dealers of each brand GM has.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Something was mentioned during the afore mentioned Barrett Jackson auction about the future of Pontiac.dum It pertained to two points; the Pontiac sport truck based off the holden ute is now dead, and that Pontiac itself will be moving more toward being a "specialty" brand then it currently is.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

This wasn't posted as an opinion poll, but here is my opinion:

Yes, Pontiac is going away. Not to come back.

Even the new Camaro has a life span of only 3-4 production years.

We are going to see a new/recycle of the Jimmy Carter years where we are expected to buy the 'correct' car for our times. Put on a sweater for the good of the planet.

When you hear Chevy Volt, remember 'Vega'.

This is the end of the 'second' muscle car era. First one ended in 1970. Perhaps in 40 years you will get a 3rd chance.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
This wasn't posted as an opinion poll, but here is my opinion:

Yes, Pontiac is going away. Not to come back.

Even the new Camaro has a life span of only 3-4 production years.

We are going to see a new/recycle of the Jimmy Carter years where we are expected to buy the 'correct' car for our times. Put on a sweater for the good of the planet.

When you hear Chevy Volt, remember 'Vega'.

This is the end of the 'second' muscle car era. First one ended in 1970. Perhaps in 40 years you will get a 3rd chance.

^^^ I agree...I am afraid we are nearing the end of the second musclecar renaissance in the not too distant future....... Lets play hard now boys & girls while we still have this opportunty

Last edited by SOMbitch; 01-19-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

If you really think about it...The muscle cars never left, the performance cars did, Cars like the Camaro, Mustang and stuff stayed around, they just lost HP numbers, but always kept fighting for the Top spot, heck the late 70's wars where a great time for the muscle cars, they sold incredibly well!

Cars like the Z28, T/a and Mustang where fighting along side cars like the Dodge Polara R/T ( i think) and Charger and stuff like that.

The 80's came around and even the Challenger made a return (yeah a little Mitsubishi car) but the name was back. The Charger was around...Well i guess my point is not too valid lol.