General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Almost at the 3 month anniversary of my crash (news for you)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good thing that you 2 are still alive...
Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you "9000th01ss" for putting the pictures up, but you don't know how the roads are over here, pretty much everyone that has a car with power drives like that. I was on the Autobahn with my dad and he was going 155mph (the limiter) in his car and we had to move over to the right lane so a Porsche could over take us. And yes I'm American, my dad works for the American military that is stationed over here. I'm just going to the American High School here. The problem with German drivers is that they go through this big expensive program, and yet they think they own the road. The guy that cut me off was doing two things that a lot of Germans do, no signal or a flash of one as they are already half way over the line, and then the "law" is you have to let someone in if they are in front of you and have their signal on, so they do that regardless of the amount of space there is and if there is someone coming up quickly.

Anyways, thanks for the support guys. I went to go see my friend today and for the first time we got him to go out of the rehab center and into a proper restaurant with proper beer, he was quite happy about that!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, Glad everyone survived.. wish you and your friend the best and hope your friend has a speedy recovery.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

For those of you who think driving that fast is so stupid, you can't imagine how nice it is to drive on the autobahn as compared to the interstate. Over here, 95% of the drivers will do what they are supposed to do. I normally don't cruise anywhere near that speed, but I have. I have spent over half an hour with the cruise control set on 130MPH. My normal cruising speed is 100, even just going to work. I very seldom see an accident that doesn't involve at least one American. I'd give anything to have the quality of drivers in the States that they have in Germany.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Teching In

glad to hear you're alright. i can't imagine driving on the autobahn with my car, at 80 mph my tach is at 4 grand in top gear. i don't drive an f-body by the way
Old 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well 9000th01ss, I've had plenty experience driving at those speeds, i cant remember how many times I've had the spedo over the 155 thing on it, you really just don't know until you do drive over here. Oh and BigSmoke, i know the feeling, I'm driving my sisters car right now, 95 horsepower, top speed of actually 120mph, takes A LONG time to get there although it has one of if not the the best Drag Coefficient of GM vehicles produced! 2 liter 8 valve 4 cylinder! It takes a while to get used to that and I'm still not, every time I get on the autobahn, I have to take it to red line in every gear, and do some nice power shifting. The head gasket, the exhaust, the transmission, and the clutch are on its way out. Yeah for German made GM cars!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Yes in traffic, and like I said before, when I had my wreck, it was a German holiday so there were barely any cars on the road. I remember only seeing about 5-10 cars in the time it took me to get up to that speed.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Like 9000th01SS stated, driving 144 on the Autobahn is not NORMAL. How do I know? I lived in Heidelberg for 8 years; graduated from HHS (go Lions!)in 93'. I lived on PHV and know the roads all around that area. The autobahn has this "urban legend" that you can drive as fast as your car can go, and that simply isn't true. For every car going 144 mph, there are 50,000 driving responsibly and following the posted limits. I'm not trying to come of "high and mighty", and I'm really happy that they are both recovering, but to drive those speeds using the fact that it was a German holiday is reckless. Believe it or not, it is RARE for cars to drive those speeds on the autobahn, especially on the A5. Trust me, I've been there and drove that autobahn HUNDREDS of times.

BTW, I PCS to Germany in May....and don't plan on taking the SS anywhere close to 144 unless it's under controlled conditions on a track. The margin of error is too close on the autobahn at those speeds and I don't plan on endangering any other motorists.

To the OP and his passenger, get well soon! Aufwiedersehn.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Ovechin~Monk, as I stated before, it is normal as far as I have lived over here, Maybe it was different for the time you were here, but every time i'm on there and there is space to go, everyone does. Good to see a former HHS grad on here

I hope to maybe get another chevy over here and see you germany guys over here (fbodyeurope.org)

Last edited by Darksolder; 02-05-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darksolder
Ovechin~Monk, as I stated before, it is normal as far as I have lived over here, Maybe it was different for the time you were here, but every time i'm on there and there is space to go, everyone does. Good to see a former HHS grad on here

I hope to maybe get another chevy over here and see you germany guys over here (fbodyeurope.org)
I'm just happy that you and your buddy are o.k. Maybe I'll come across you sometime on the A5, just don't go blowing by me at 150! lol

Take care man and be safe.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man i hope to meet up with the europe fbody people, You be safe as well
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Sorry for interrupting the arguing, but what's the Facebook link to the pictures ?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
yea well it was one post vs his several, now the pm's are coming in.
he's pissed because I posted the thing about the speed limit and someone backed me up on it.
PM's coming in, really? the only PM I sent was that one that you shared to everyone. And no I'm not getting pissed about that, sure, people in the states will think that speed is really too fast, but after living here for over 8 years, pretty much growing up over here, you quickly find out how people drive.

Well ok I never said it, I think it's obvious I am glad you guys made it. I wouldn't want anyone to die in what you went through.
But sometimes people need their ***** busted for how do I say it , coming close to getting killed in a wreck.
You DO need to be more careful as you now know.
Would you have wrecked this bad going 90?
It doesn't seem obvious that you are glad, you never said anything about it, all you did was bitch at me. Maybe it's because I'm drunk right now, I have no idea, but that's just my opinion. And people getting their ***** busted for wrecking? Excuse me but hello it wasn't my fault? Yes I know to be more careful now, does that mean I will slow way the **** down when the roads are really clear? No! I love speed, I love power, and I will abuse the **** out of both of them. But I will keep an extra eye out for those idiots in the right lane. And actually yes, I really could have easily have wrecked worse going 90. I can count A LOT of times where things could have gone bad, as the roads can be packed going to school in the morning and coming back in the afternoon. A lot of the times, mostly in the afternoons, there is one lane going about 60mph, and the other going around 110-120mph.

Last edited by Darksolder; 02-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help sparky, I'm not here to start any arguments, just to share what happened to me. Just like I didn't see anyone bitching to that dude on here that was telling people about how he wrecked his f-bod that he just built by opening it up and seriously injuring his girlfriend/fiance/wife, I expected the same respect, maturity, and understanding.

TA-Swede, No problem with interrupting the arguing, good for the thread anyways! The link is HERE Will try to get photos up on photobucket tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 588 Likes on 466 Posts

God damn... as LS1Tech turns...
Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn you guys are like a married couple. I've had the ss up to around 140-145 a few times over here but I slow the **** down when I come up to a group of cars. Even if they are in the right lane you never know what they are going to do. I've been thinking about selling the camaro since it got here. You should make an offer.

Last edited by bradl1982; 02-04-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: a horse is a horse of course of course
Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

lota gay in this thread
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Well you need to slow down, at least when theres traffic around, even if it is one car.
I'm not going to say what the last 10 guys have said, get better, you're going to no doubt. I just wish there was a way to prevent you from getting in this situation again. It sounds like you might.
So what if I'm thinking of ways to bust your ***** about it, I guess no one makes sense of it. Maybe it doesn't make sense.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Teching In

So what your saying is, is that youd risk your life, the lives of others, and not too mention the most important part, f'n up a nice F-bod, all for the sake of going fast cuz its the autobahn? Save that **** for the track man, what you proving to everyone that you pass on the autobahn? You god damn right everybody gon give you **** for doin that crap. Just cuz theres no "Speed Limit" persay, doesnt mean you just blast up and down the damn road like an impotent jerk. Calm down man, just go to the damn track, thats why they build em, you know.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to see you and your buddy are alive. best wishes on his recovery.

disregard anyone's opinions on your speed. i'm betting you're the only one who has wrecked an fbody at 144mph on the autobahn and lived to tell about it.
as far as the pictures go, why not make an album on ls1tech? just click on photo gallery on the bar that runs across the top. you won't have to worry about some dramatic *** deciding not to host them for whatever bullshit reason.

if you want, i could put bigger photos up somewhere too - just pm me.

Last edited by BobDoLe; 02-04-2009 at 01:42 PM.