General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Almost at the 3 month anniversary of my crash (news for you)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who has driven on the Autobahn in Germany I can tell you what happened to him is common. The right lane is full of trucks that are limited by law to around 60mph. Idiot drivers not planning ahead get caught behind them all the time, and sometimes they pull out in front of faster cars in the left lane. In my case I was doing about 120mph in a VW Eurovan with 5 people and our luggage, I was in the left lane overtaking another VW van that was following a truck. The truck was probably doing about 60 ish. Without looking (I guess) the van pulled in front of me. I had just enough time and space to nail the brakes and pass him on what there was of the sholder. We were all fine but I could have easily gone the other way.

Why was I going 120mph in a VW van?? Because it wouldn't go any faster. Every single one of you getting on this kid for driving that fast would give anything to be able to drive on roads like that legally.

I wish you and your friend the best of luck in your recoveries and take a page from my years of ridding motorcycles. Always have a way out, and ALWAYS assume that every idiot on the road does NOT see you. After all, if you can't see a VW bus gaining on you at double your speed, your probably not alert to much of anything at all.

Re'
Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

^^thank you for not being a blabbering idiot like the others

Last edited by wowsers; 02-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wowsers
^^thank you for not being a blabbering idiot like the others
I have my monents

Re'
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

i wanna see the said pics of the wreck.......god speed to a full recovery
Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man that's not too bad for 144mph. It stayed together alot better then expected. Glad you guys made it out alive
Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)

Thank you guy's for backing me up and for the support again. When the argument really started up and the insults were flying, It was Superbowl time and I was wasted. Sorry about that, and I'll correct my self, YES I will drive fast like that again, but I will be %100 more carefull. I already am even with the 95 hp beater i'm driving, I slow WAY the **** down when I come to cars in the right lane, I don't want to repeat my mistake.

I'll post the pics up in a few minutes.

Oh and bradl1982, want 7700? My insurance money
Old 02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)

Pics are up https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7428
Old 02-05-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Why was I going 120mph in a VW van?? Because it wouldn't go any faster. Every single one of you getting on this kid for driving that fast would give anything to be able to drive on roads like that legally.

I wish you and your friend the best of luck in your recoveries and take a page from my years of ridding motorcycles. Always have a way out, and ALWAYS assume that every idiot on the road does NOT see you. After all, if you can't see a VW bus gaining on you at double your speed, your probably not alert to much of anything at all.

Re'
I agree with you. I know i would. I was on the autobahn when i was like 2 so i dont really remember anything about europe.

I just saw the pics. It looks pretty bad, but not as bad as i thought it would be. Which is a plus for Fbodys. Good luck to you and your friend.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

I just looked at the PICs....you are very lucky, your car is history. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

144MPH... wow I feel a bit safer at the lower speeds I drive knowing it'll look like that after losing it at that speed.

Also this typical "we don't drive that fast in america, so we're right" bs is pathetic. Just because another part of the world has different laws and rules doesn't make the american system necessarily the right one. Look at all the accidents that occur EVERYDAY near or in a major metropolis. The stats are mind boggling. Now look at what happens everywhere else in the world.

It's not speed, its drivers who cause accidents. The situation he described happens here all the time AND at slower speeds, heck sometimes at the damn speed limit too.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand why anyone would start insulting someone after a car accident. He was driving fast, on a road with no speed limit. So where did he do something that was wrong or dangerous. People in their Audi's, Porsche's, Lamborghini's etc all go 200 mph on the Autobahn, that's why it is there.

80 + percent of the Autobahn is now speed limit enforced because of high traffic volume, which leads to these sorts of accidents when someone isn't paying any attention and just moves over.

The Autobahn was the first highway, and is why we have highways in our country. However that's the only area these two roads have in common. The Autobahn has a far better traffic incident rate and mortality rate than any U.S. highway.

Next time look up some information before you go and talk trash to some poor guy who got stuck in a bad position and almost lost his own life.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I agree with this. Doesn't germany require you to take 6 months of lessons before you get a license? I would imagine they are better drivers than us. And something I notice EVERYDAY here is people just don't pay attention, they could care less.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

im really surprised it turned out as good as it did...i would have guess that at those speeds the car would look like a crushed pepsi can...consider yourself very lucky...good luck with everything man!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^ I agree with this. Doesn't germany require you to take 6 months of lessons before you get a license? I would imagine they are better drivers than us. And something I notice EVERYDAY here is people just don't pay attention, they couldn't care less.
^fixt^
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not grow up, quit being a jerk about the subject, and stop posting....as I am going to do now......
Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

this pic it kinda looks like a viper in a way. i may just be drunk.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stdjsw311

this pic it kinda looks like a viper in a way. i may just be drunk.
ya u must be hammered
Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Not to beat a dead horse but at 18 I had been driving camaros since I was 15... was it enough experiance that I felt at 18 I could go over 100mph??? NO WAY!!

First time I did 100 I think I was 21... only times I have done it since were at the track.

People don't realize that on the Bahn 99% of the cars that can go really fast are not american, the are mostly German built cars made to keep you alive in speeds that fast, the cars are near 50/50 in weight distribution so that when you jump on the brake you don't take most of the weight off the rear.

Granted a lot of people over there don't flash or use turn signals but there are just as many people who "think" they can drive at high speeds and stay safe. Its just as much knowing how to watch people as it is being a good driver.

Im sorry but an F-body is the last thing I would drive at high speed on any public road...

The back end does look like an first gen viper in a way hahaha.

Im not bashing anyone just stating what I have seen and experianced over the years.

P.S. My dad has a Turbo Porsche and hase been driving them for over 30 years... If you asked him to take it out on the Bahn he would say no..... to many idiots out there that don't know what they are doing and driving at 100+ is completley different from driving at 75.

Why do you think Ruf test drives their cars on the Bahn at night???? Its a million times safer. Driving at high speeds during the day is dumb. Driving at speeds when there is much slower traffic in the lane next to you tends to result in what happend to this guy.

Not a flame post in any way. Keep in mind that I was almost killed a few years back and almost trashed my car, my car and I both drove away with out a scratch, I grew up really quick then.... know what happend? I did pretty much the same thing you did but there was no other car that cut me off.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

how is your friend doing? you plan on getting another fbody?

Last edited by jrob56; 02-07-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man bro, u are lucky to be alive with the car looking like that. wish u all a speedy recovery