General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Thoughts on redlining a semi-warmed car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlag
7,000,000 is a lot of RPMs, did you use ARP rod bolts?
no i never used arp rod bolts. I ran her like that for about 3 yrs.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I beat mine like that bitch owes me money. That's not to say that as soon as I crank it I'm going to hit the rev limiter while reversing and roasting the tires as I pull out the driveway. There's a difference between use and abuse. I drive it like it should be driven, but not in an unnecessarily abusive manner.
Picturing someone doing that is hilarious . Also i agree
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

I built a mild 355 for my old 85 C10 a couple years ago. I cranked the motor up for the first time, adjusted the valves and set the timing by ear while letting it run for a few. Once I had it the way I wanted it I backed out the driveway and laid it to the floor roasting the tires off. I don't have a tach but I had the 4bll opened up wide open, perfect way to break in a motor. Since then I've been driving it daily to work and back, pulling a trailer, hauling ****, etc.. without one issue. Motors are tough, especially LS1's but I wouldn't go slamming the throttle on a cold motor because something could let go. I always let my SS warm up before I go beating on it, although once it's warmed up I drive it like I stole it. lol
Old 02-05-2009, 06:08 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GrimReaper
Why baby something that is meant to be driven? I dont mean that in a rude way, when i had my h/c 346 i used to pound that car like she was a hooker. never once did that motor have any signs of a problem. 7000k is where they wanna be!
So I see that reading comprehension skills are way down in America, these days.

Dude go back and read the original post-this isn't about whether you should baby your car or not...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya i never open mine up to WOT till shes all warmed up. not good to do on a cold motor
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nemss1
ya i never open mine up to WOT till shes all warmed up. not good to do on a cold motor
Agreed, I always let it warm up.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That went way over your head, 7 Million RPM
Old 02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FAIL, you have never ran your car like that.. nobody has..
Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somebody please explain to me how a cold engine will bend PR's

The issue is that until your oil has reached the optimum 190*-210* range it does not have it's full lubricating properties. This means much greater engine wear especially on bearings.

Think about. When the oil is thick it doesn't flow as well so less effective lubrication. More oil pressure does not mean you are actually flowing more VOLUME but many people don't understand this. The higher PSI of cold oil is actually caused by more RESISTANCE to flow.

The oil doesn't heat up as fast as coolant either. I have witnessed this watching oil temp guages. It usually takes a few minuites after the coolant has actually reached operating temps for the oil temp to catch up.....
Old 02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I beat mine like that bitch owes me money. That's not to say that as soon as I crank it I'm going to hit the rev limiter while reversing and roasting the tires as I pull out the driveway. There's a difference between use and abuse. I drive it like it should be driven, but not in an unnecessarily abusive manner.
Agreed just use common sense but they are made to take a beating, mine sees the redline daily and never missed a beat but i take damn good care of it.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree with all the warm up comments here...just like my bike, always let it warm up before I approach anything close to 15 000 rpms.

The one detail to highlight here is it was running for 3 - 5 minutes already. Depending on ambient temperature, that is quite a bit of time for the motor and oil to warm up. I doubt any damage was incurred at all.

In fact, SOMbitch states it properly in regards to oil pressure...and the spike in oil pressure that was seen probably did more damage to the oil pump itself (notoriously bad LS1 pumps) than a pushrod.

Most here like to drive our cars, myself included! The best way to keep it running strong is to look after it. Proper warm up times included in regular maintenance and good fluids.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

One time i hadn't moved my SS in 2 days... then my girlfriend passed out at her work and i jumped in the car and had my foot to the floor the entire... at least 5 minutes to her work... like braking to a screeching halt at every red light... i hit 120+ like 5 times...... I normally baby it until its 160+ and the oil pressure drops to 45. Then i drive it normal... but i took the car to the strip yesterday and w/ a race weight of 3610 pounds and street tires i pulled a 13.41 at 105... in a 98 drop top... So im pretty sure you should wise up to the fact that your driving a GM product... and not a ford.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

oh my car is bone stock A4 btw.