General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which body would you get '01 SS, or '01 B4C?
'01 SS w/salvage title
18.92%
'01 B4C shell w/clean title
67.57%
Fix the '01 Z28 donor
13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Saving an F Body, what would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lower control arm's,panhard bar and a torque arm if you need them.How is the converter working out.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the B4C and the Z28, swap all Z28 parts onto the B4C. You would have a complete car with a clear title after all of this. The Z28 looks like it was kept nice before the damage, so there's your donor.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
How is the converter working out.
Great. It went just as planned, I took the box out of the UPS guys hands, put some fluid in the converter, had it in the trans ready to jack up 10-15 minutes later.
It's a lot quicker obviously, but it just kills the tires down low.
I had to do a bit of tuning too, but thats mostly for regular driving.
Shift points, idle, etc. I got it about 98% done.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
Buy the B4C and the Z28, swap all Z28 parts onto the B4C. You would have a complete car with a clear title after all of this. The Z28 looks like it was kept nice before the damage, so there's your donor.
Thats exactly the plan. I haven't seen either car in person so if the Z28 has a straight frame I think I'll just fix it.

It's a tough decision though because the B4C is a 2002 with 36,xxx miles. But it's literally a shell, theres not one thing on the firewall, zero wiring, etc.
I'm the type of person that, if I did get the B4C, it would end up looking like it was never apart when I got it done.

I'm undecided, at this point it all comes down to the lady taking my offer for the Z28. She said $3000 for the engine and trans via email, but when I got her on the phone (3 times) she seemed to be considering the offer of $2000 for the whole car.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

if you can afford it id go with the B4C. sounds like an awesome build if you have the time. should be worth it IMO.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

B4C fo sho
Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

Well the lady doesn't know what the hell she wants to do. She's got over 20 emails she has to get to, she knows she can part it out for more, blah, blah.... I said look I got cash, a truck and a trailer, WHATS IT GOING TO TAKE FOR ME TO BUY THE WHOLE CAR TONIGHT?!! (apparently being polite gets me nowhere) Without hesitation she said $3000 and she keeps the seats. Oh and to make matters worse she had the car towed from the storage lot that was 15 minutes away from me to her house which is an hour away.
And I did forget one relavent pic now attached.

Please help, should I get this car?
If I do, this leaves me with two options, part it out or fix it, I can't afford an other body now.
And I need to rent a $60 trailer by 4:00, call the lady to see if the deal is still good after 5, and if it is go up there and see what her two sons stripped off it between now and then.
At the worst I'll be out about $100 in gas and the trailer if I go and don't buy it. At best I'll have either a car I can fix and drive or a pile of spare parts for my 2 black camaros.
What should I do?

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The attachment pic shows to me that the axle has suffered a hard blow. THe way it is sitting in the wheel well would lead me to belive that the "frame" is either bent or really twisted. Not my first choice. Next is the SS with a slavage title. Bad idea. Hard to get insurance and just all around a pain in the a$$ to deal with. I would go with the B4C with the clean title. IMHO
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RsSean
The attachment pic shows to me that the axle has suffered a hard blow. THe way it is sitting in the wheel well would lead me to belive that the "frame" is either bent or really twisted. Not my first choice. Next is the SS with a slavage title. Bad idea. Hard to get insurance and just all around a pain in the a$$ to deal with. I would go with the B4C with the clean title. IMHO
But thats not the plan. The SS and the B4C are rollers, and the B4C doesn't even roll, it's literally a shell.

This Z28 was going to provide the parts for either the SS or B4C.

I'm not sure if the frame is beyond repair, I've seen minor hits that when they tweak the frame it wrinkles the lower front of the 1/4 on the opposite side.

I think the car can be fixed, if not I should be able to part it out to get my money back. I just like doing this kind of thing. But I'm always unsure of price and never talk anyone down on it.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Clean title > *
Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Just build the B4C shell. You dont want to mess with getting that Z28 right again (it probably will be next to impossible based on the position of the rear axle. Try and work on getting the complete car and just swap everything over. 36,000 on the B4C body means its probably still very rigid and won't squeak as much.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
Just build the B4C shell. You dont want to mess with getting that Z28 right again (it probably will be next to impossible based on the position of the rear axle. Try and work on getting the complete car and just swap everything over. 36,000 on the B4C body means its probably still very rigid and won't squeak as much.
Now you guys are getting lost. Edit: no you're not lost you know what I had planned.

The Z28 is the complete car/parts car, the SS and B4C are the bodies that I'm looking at putting all the Z28 stuff into.

Z28=bad body otherwise complete
SS and B4C= Good bodies, need parts from the Z28.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 02-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B

No sense fixing something witha salvage title, if you can avoid it.

Also, the Z28 will likely have a COD not a rebuildable title, if it went through insurance when she bought it back.

Ryan
Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

It's got a rebuildable title. I went and looked at it.
I guarantee you could put one LCA on it, cut the wheel well opening out, air up the tire and drive it for a good while. I mean years.

Now I got the wrong impression, I thought this car was purchased early on, the older lady(late 40's) that owns it is now driving a V6 camaro and says she hates it and misses the V8.
Problem is she bought it a year ago, the rear calipers are ground down, it's got some weird shop made exhaust on it. It's got a lid on it thats cracked, mismatched bolts here and there. The black and tan leather interior is perfect. It started right up, good oil pressure.
I know she wants to keep it and fix it, I told her to have someone put an LCA on it and everything else and drive it to a body shop to see if the frame is straight, if it is have them r&r the 1/4 and door.

She said $3000, I said $2400. Thats not enough and I'm not paying more than that for it.
It would be a perfect donor for that B4C car.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

B4C. More rare and clean title wins hands down
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

I personally think the B4C idea sucks since it's nothing but a unibody and glass. Then again, it's extremely low on the miles and could be worth something when complete. When's the last time you saw a government issue Camaro that wasn't well into the 100,000s?

It all depends on how much you want to put into it. A 32k shell built with 66k parts looks good on paper, but isn't what it seems. Relatively low, but twice as much as titled.

I guess I can't see paying that much for a 4th-gen skeleton when running V6s, LT1s and third-gens are so dirt cheap. Hell, I found a complete '81 for $500 that'd make an awesome ride with a few thousand put into it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I guess I can't see paying that much for a 4th-gen skeleton when running V6s, LT1s and third-gens are so dirt cheap. Hell, I found a complete '81 for $500 that'd make an awesome ride with a few thousand put into it.
$700 is the asking price on the B4C shell, and it's been for sale a while. I'd give $500 for it, what the hell good is a low mileage body, it's not like they wear out.

The Z28 I just found, it has a damaged body, everything else is good.

But thats why I put a price limit on the Z28, because I don't want to end up paying $5000+ for a 33k mile body with no speedo to prove it when the car was complete, plus like you said it would have all 66k parts, plus the 66k speedo.

The bottom line is, this lady with the Z28 put a for sale ad on craigslist, now she's not even sure she wants to sell it. She'll take $3000 for it, but she has owned it for a year and it's very obvious someone beat on it and didn't use proper repair procedures before she got it. On top of that it's wrecked.

I was thinking she bought the car new, it kind of sounded like it during the first phone call. I was picturing the typical older lady f body owner, all work being done by a shop, etc.

So it's a beat down Z28 for sale for too much.

Even though if a junkyard had it I'd bet there'd be more than a few people more than willing to pay $3000 for the engine and trans in this car.

So the deals not happening.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

B4C, Clean title says it all. Not worth the Ag with the salvage esp. re-sale. Try and buy the Z for $2k and the b4c for $500 and you'll have almost enough to make a nice car.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

Man I am ******* pissed

I talked to this guy with the B4C roller at least five times on the phone asking very specific questions.
It's advertised as a 2002 B4C ROLLER with 4x,xxx miles on it.
One time he even said he was looking at the title and it has 45,673 miles on it. In fact heres copy and pasted from the ad
Its an old FHP car. Has 46,xxx miles on it, and has no engine/trans/drivetrain. Doesnt have the following:
Headliner
Half the dash
Carpet
steering column
Passanger/Driver side kick panels
Has:
All seats
Seat Belts
Wheels/tires
Front/Rear brakes
Front struts
Windshield wipers/resevour
Two black plastic pieces that go under the wipers
Misc panels like door panels, rear speaker panels, middle speaker panels
Small ding on the hood, and passanger running board.
Ok I wasted all today filling my dually with gas, renting a trailer and going to get it IF IT WAS DESCRIBED PROPERLY.

HERES WHAT I SEEN.
Title said Mileage: 9999999 not actual mileage
Then the guy says he'll throw the K member in if I want it.
So what the ****? We lift the hood off NOTHING.
IT HAS ******* LT1 STRUTS, SPINDLES, ETC JUST HANGING THERE, A 2002 WITH LT1 PARTS. IN FACT THE DRIVERS DOOR USED TO BE RED, IT WON'T OPEN BECAUSE THE FRONT WHEELS ARE JUST FLOPPING AROUND.

Now lets talk about the rear, well I look through the wheel and see a brake cylinder on a backing plate, thats right folks not only does it not have back brakes, it has a 3rd gen rear with NO BRAKES.

Guess what else, the rear isn't attached to the car, not a cable, wire, hose, not even a ******* spider web.
I was gone 7 hours for this ****, I told the guy I'm already out $100 at least for gas and the trailer.
I asked how much he wanted for the rear interior panels (the B4C type with no speakers, one goes over the spare and the other one)
**** if I just cost someone $100 to look at an poorly described pile of **** I'd tell them to take the damn panels, instead I paid him $10 for them.

Now i don't know if they're going to see this or not, but I'm not mad at him, even though he said he paid $800 for it and a post on this site says he paid $600 for it. His girlfriend was nice, young and willing to learn about cars so that was cool.

But this situation is ******* BULLSHIT.
And I'll do a huge favor and NOT post their names here, a huge favor to them, but a potential headache if someone else goes to look at this pile.

He said $500 is the lowest he'd go. I didn't buy it purely for the fact that he didn't give me those panels, lied to me about the mileage on the title, and lied about the description of the car, AND i DIDN'T FEEL LIKE DRAGGING IT ONTO the trailer with the rear rolling around under it and the front tires tearing the **** out of the front fenders.

It might be worth $500 but whoever buys it better bring a forklift to load it.
I guarantee that car is going to sit and rot until a junkyard pays $50 for it.
**** I'm pissed off, mainly at the situation, the people weren't bad, but I wonder. It's either a shady deal, a dumbass, or extreme ignorance.
How the hell do you advertise a roller with no K member, no torque arm, no rear springs, no lca's, give an exact mileage when it's not on the title?

F**K I GUESS I NEED TO STOP TYPING SOMETIME.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 02-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.