General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hows the ride in an F-Body with lowering springs and otherwise stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After doing mine a few weeks ago, I would save up for some shocks as well. You really don't want to be doing the same job twice anyhow.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

There's almost unanimous agreement that lowering springs with stock shocks is going to provide a horrible ride.

Sure, if you have $1100 or so to spend, Koni's with Strano or BMR springs will make for nice setup. But it will ride stiffer than with stock springs.

It also depends on how low you want to go. Front Koni's on the lower perch and the heater hose mod in the rear will give you a 3/4" drop all around. The Koni's will be about $850. This will give you a very nice ride but it doesn't really have the "lowered look."

The cheapest way to go and still preserve a very nice ride, would be to get a set of Bilstein shocks (about $425), do the heater hose mod in the rear, and cut the front springs 3/4 to 1". I did this on my M6 car and it worked great and rides beautifully. But like the above, it might not be enough drop for you.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly, i dont have $1,000 bucks to spend on shocks/springs. im looking into getting some 18" rims/tires soon and i would definitely like to get rid of that 4x4 look.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So its safe to say its a bad idea to just get springs and nothing else?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
So its safe to say its a bad idea to just get springs and nothing else?
You need to at least get some KYB AGX shocks or the shocks will FAIL and ride like A$$...But some guys do it anyway.....
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
You need to at least get some KYB AGX shocks or the shocks will FAIL and ride like A$$...But some guys do it anyway.....
Yes im deff. not looking to be one of those guys, I want the ride to be decent and the car too look good aswell.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Yes im deff. not looking to be one of those guys, I want the ride to be decent and the car too look good aswell.
With the price of Koni's pretty damn cheap thanks to the sale its well worth it to get it. If you think about it the warranty just shows how much confidence they have in their product.

I think you said it yourself. KYBs or Koni's are the only shocks for you thatll work and give you a decent ride.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

i got adjustable kyb agx shocks and struts, i cant remember what kinda springs(think eibach) with ground control.. i can change the ride height.. right now its dropped about an inch and a half, and im on 18's ride isnt bad at all for being lowered.. my only prob is i hit my headers if im not careful.. i got some pics in my link
Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni's are on sale right now, save up and get them before the sale is over, never down grade on something as important as shocks. Its worth it to save up, I know its painful to have to wait and save for something when you could half *** it and give in and buy right now cause you can't wait.

I'm a very impatient person, ask my wife, LOL, but I knew I had to wait to get koni's, then the sale came and I ordered Koni's and sam's springs. When everything is installed it will be more gratifying then if I just bought half hearted shocks cause I didn't want to have to wait.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Cool

I'm running H&R springs and Bilstein shocks on a 3rd gen IROC.
It rides a lot better than stock, it's lower & it handles better.
I found most of the harshness coming from the tires that came
stock on the car (Goodyear Gatorbacks)

Quick Reply: Hows the ride in an F-Body with lowering springs and otherwise stock suspension?