General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Electric engine sport car chit chat

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009 | 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Default Electric engine sport car chit chat

Well, I think we can certainly see in 10 years or less that will have electric sports cars under 35k maybe even as low as 25k as R&D phases out.

1.) How would we modify an electric car for more hp and tq? Would we buy a stronger battery? Enlarge the cables that transfer the current?

2.) We all know electricity is instant so hp and torq will be instant. Will GM F Chysler build cars in a way that we can open up how instant that power is given? Example at such rpm a car has 200 lbs of torq. But we know the car has the ability but is to do 400 lbs of torq but it has a limitor on it. Governering amount of power it produces.

I always though it hybrid cars could run without the battery. Why not build the car so we can take the 300 lb battery out. AKA lets say the Mustang has a hybrid model so it gets 300 hp 320 torq and 40 mpg. But I want to take it to the track, so I simply remove the battery for weightloss. Something being so heavy would have to be under the car so a jack could lower it and raise it to install like a rear end since one would cherry pic such a thing.
Old 02-17-2009 | 12:46 PM
Launching!

You might post this up in the lounge , it'll probably get moved there since it isn't LSX related
Old 02-17-2009 | 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

1. The amplifiers/power converters/Drive controls could be beefed up with heavier duty units. Drive motors could be swapped out for higher rated motors. I'm sure in time, they will be offered.

2. Actually electric motors are not instant. They do have torque/bandwidth curves, like gas operated motors do.

If you took the battery out of a hybrid, then it would be running in gas (non hybrid) mode, which is usually a tiny engine which is just used to charge the battery.
Old 02-17-2009 | 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is worthless, we will not be moving toward the public using electric cars anytime in the near future. Cost of production is through the roof, and contrary to what tree huggers want to believe producing all those batteries is actually a very messy, not environmentally friendly process. Not to mention when charging your car, it takes the use of fossil fuels to make that electricity If anything we will be moving toward a different fuel source, but the internal combustion engine will not die. Mark my words :-p
Old 02-17-2009 | 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 406malibu
This thread is worthless, we will not be moving toward the public using electric cars anytime in the near future. Cost of production is through the roof, and contrary to what tree huggers want to believe producing all those batteries is actually a very messy, not environmentally friendly process. Not to mention when charging your car, it takes the use of fossil fuels to make that electricity If anything we will be moving toward a different fuel source, but the internal combustion engine will not die. Mark my words :-p
I personally, think Hydrogen cars is the smartest long term investment. The Earth is 3/4's water, its a no brainer. And the fact we can have water filling stations.
Old 02-17-2009 | 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I personally, think Hydrogen cars is the smartest long term investment. The Earth is 3/4's water, its a no brainer. And the fact we can have water filling stations.
while its not my fuel of choice, i think this is a viable option. Much more so than electricity. Only problem with hydrogen is that it takes a lot of energy to extract the hydrogen from water. Again the most cost effective way to get hydrogen is through the use of fossil fuels. Once they find a more efficient way to get hydrogen, then i think it will really take off. Oh, and about water filling stations, what were you saying? water is the product of a hydrogen car, not the input?
Old 02-17-2009 | 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

while its not my fuel of choice, i think this is a viable option. Much more so than electricity. Only problem with hydrogen is that it takes a lot of energy to extract the hydrogen from water. Again the most cost effective way to get hydrogen is through the use of fossil fuels. Once they find a more efficient way to get hydrogen, then i think it will really take off. Oh, and about water filling stations, what were you saying? water is the product of a hydrogen car, not the input?
From what I understand the hydrogen that's in test hydrogen test cars is so (can't think of a word) that you have to latch the hose on your car sealing all air pockets etc so hydrogen doesn't just excape into the air. I guess the hydrogen its self would have to be delivered to the fuel station not water. What was I thinking lol.
Old 02-17-2009 | 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I understand the hydrogen that's in test hydrogen test cars is so (can't think of a word) that you have to latch the hose on your car sealing all air pockets etc so hydrogen doesn't just excape into the air. I guess the hydrogen its self would have to be delivered to the fuel station not water. What was I thinking lol.
lol its alright, i kinda figured it was a typo. and word you cant think of, is it pressurized? haha its like playing charades online.
Old 02-17-2009 | 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

What if we had hydrogen powered boats that swallowed the water, converted it to hydrogen and used it. You'd never run out of fuel while out on the water, it would be (can't think of the word). lol

Large cargo ships could use this technology saving tons of fuel. Barges up and down rivers would be more useful and earth friendly. Don't get me wrong I don't buy into this man made global warming bs. The sun and ocean control that, not some **** ant race of people. During the Industrial revolution when American and countries abroad built polluting factories of mass scale the worlds climates cooled till the late 80's. And from 80's till now its been getting warmer. And it will cool again. It was hot during the dark ages of Europe. And in the 1400 to 1600 American experienced rather cold climate shifts, HUMANS have no impact on it. /rant off
sorry bout the rant.
Old 02-17-2009 | 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

i agree completely. ******** want you to believe that electric cars are so clean.....where did the electricity come from........coal.
Old 02-17-2009 | 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ironically enough hydrogen is not any more "clean" in the sense that water vapor (the by product of hydrogen) is a greenhouse gas...