General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO or Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Debated many times and all of them I went w/ the f-body and my opinion has not changed
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have both. my GTO is a much better DD but my SS is a car ill never sell. its just better looking and more fun to drive. id get an SS.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If payments are the issue, I assume you are financing this car, almost entirely at 380/month rate. Remember, the f-bodys are 7 years old. It will be VERY hard finding a bank to finance a car older than 2002 much less with mileage above 70K. They may accept the car but put you on a 24 month term jacking up your payment back to that 400/month range. I just tried to purchase a 2000 WS6 with 93K for 8 grand, bank shot it down b/c of old age, high miles and too much monthly note at 24 months. This is with me paying for no extra bills too.

I did find a low mileage 02 T/A for 11 the bank did take for 48 months and it puts my payments around 250/month and add 20 a month for payment insurance which they most likely will require for such an old car.

Good luck with your decision, I would go with f-body if you can find the right one at the right bank. BTW I bank at a credit union
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with the GTO. Better interior, better DD, and newer. Remember, while they don't seem that old, the newest 4th gen Camaro is now 7 years old. It bugs me out that my car is now NINE years old. I sometimes think I was crazy for buying it, that I should have bought something newer.

I'm in love with 'Birds though, that's the reason I got it. Although, if I could have afforded it, I'd have gone '05+ GTO. I looked, but I couldn't afford one. I still have hope ofgetting one someday though.

As far as financing an older car, try Capital One. I did mine through them, it was very simple, and they didn't give me any trouble of the year of the car ('00, bought in '07). I was going to go through my bank, but they wanted paperwork that I couldn't easily get, as the seller was 1.5 hours away, so I went with Capital One since they were less of a hassle and aved me alot of running around. You can apply right online, and you hear back within a few hours.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

test drive is the only answer... 06 gto is an amazing car, great build quality and ls2 power. good luck, hope you find the car you are looking for.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

I love GTO's interiors...BUT I would definitely go with the SS ... Look around for a good deal... I picked up my 98 SLP Optioned SS w/ 99,000 for $6500
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Prices on both have plummeted recently. They have the exact same engine (ls2 is too similar to count) so I would choose over what is most comfortable to drive in.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I'd go with the GTO. Better interior, better DD, and newer. Remember, while they don't seem that old, the newest 4th gen Camaro is now 7 years old. It bugs me out that my car is now NINE years old. I sometimes think I was crazy for buying it, that I should have bought something newer.

I'm in love with 'Birds though, that's the reason I got it. Although, if I could have afforded it, I'd have gone '05+ GTO. I looked, but I couldn't afford one. I still have hope ofgetting one someday though.

As far as financing an older car, try Capital One. I did mine through them, it was very simple, and they didn't give me any trouble of the year of the car ('00, bought in '07). I was going to go through my bank, but they wanted paperwork that I couldn't easily get, as the seller was 1.5 hours away, so I went with Capital One since they were less of a hassle and aved me alot of running around. You can apply right online, and you hear back within a few hours.
It is 2 years later and that 2 years on a car changes alot of things, as I tried to purchase a 2000 and got declined.

Although a bank may be different than a credit union as far as auto lending. I always was told credit unions were easier to get loans, I may be wrong.

Either way I would still go with an fbody if you can get financing. Modding is the only reason I would buy a sports car. If I was just going to drive it stock, I would pick up a fuel saver or something. I drive mine everyday and from past experiences these interior is lacking and cheap, but I must have gotten lucky, no rattles, no weird noise, nothing out of the ordinary, in fact its nicer than my old mustang which is SUPPOSEDLY a step up.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

I'd go with the SS as well. IMO they can look as good as or better than the goat. But i'd have to say if I was in your shoes when I was looking at my SS and there was a GTO that I could get as well, I'd probably say GTO. I'd probably still have as many mods as I do right now since I didn't have any mod money when i got my car, but I'd probably be faster with the GTO.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Go with the SS and mod it up. The SS will look WAY better than the gto. IMO gtos don't even look sporty. hell, people that don't know about cars would probably see a gto drive by and think its a grand prix bred with a cavalier. However, the interior is much more up do date. Go with the SS and have money for plenty of mods. Mods and parts are also more available and "typically" more simple to install on f-bodys.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow

GTO's are not cheap to maintain, they eat tires, synthetic oil changes, ect.

I love my GTO, and reccomend them to everybody, but if cost is a factor, they're not cheap cars to own.

Ryan

never have truer words been typed.

i vote goat if you can afford it.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:00 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe it's because I'm in the military, but I had no problem getting a loan for a car that was 8 years old, took maybe 10 minutes to get approved through my credit union. I sold my 94 Trans Am and picked up this 00 last year. Wanting to keep this one forever pretty much. I was in the same boat, trying to decide between an F-Body or a 05/06 GTO, after driving the GTO, I decided to stick with F-Bodies. No regrets here. I highly recommend taking both for a decent test drive.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Goats look like family wagons

SS > GTO
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Goats look like family wagons

SS > GTO
A family wagon that could kick your ***!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I vote is for the camaro.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS all the way. GTO's are too expensive right now and even if price weren't an issue I'd still say the SS. It's all in what you want out of a car. If you want to go fast out of the box with plenty of potential, they're both good cars, but the weight difference and styling made it an easy decision for me....3 times, lol.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

i had a camaro and now i have a gto

gto all the way
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the GTO. I can't wait till I have a better job so I can afford one. Orange with black interior and a 6speed. LS2 of course. Don't get me wrong I love my Camaro, not a SS but still I would never sell it. If your looking for a cheaper way to go faster then the Fbody is probably your better choice.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

Go with the SS a GTO is a grand prix with rear wheel drive and a V8 its good for your wife.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll need to spend over a grand on the GTO just to get the suspension correct. In stock form they trash tires every 10-15k. Plus they have IRS. Not the best if you want to drag race.

Quick Reply: GTO or Camaro SS