General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Horror story from AutoZone

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99LS6SS
O'Reilly's all the way!
I agree, Oreilly's and NAPA actually hire people that seem to know SOMETHING about vehicles.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Even if these places DO hire people that know the difference between a differential and doorknob it doesn't matter. I've got friends who work at other parts stores and Management always makes sure there's a minimum of staff working even during busy times, to make sure a customer's experience is as miserable as possible. It's a no-win situation...
Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember one time I was at autozone. I walked up to the guy at the parts counter, an older guy(30ish). I told him "I need a thermostat for my 1991 Cadillac Brougham, its a 350 Chevy motor". He looked at me funny and said, no you have the 307 Olds motor. My brother has an 89, I've worked on it a lot. I got really pissed at this point and told him "Well that's great, the 350 Chevy was optional from 1990-92, do you want me to pop my hood and show you?"

He kept saying I had the 307 V8. I told him he could either type up the part in the computer, I could walk out the door, or he could stick his head under my hood and have me slam it shut on him. He said he was going to get his manager, I told him to eat sand and walked out the door.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to work at Advance Auto Parts. I was one of the few people I have ever seen there that understood people modded cars. If you came in looking for those axle seals I would have found them no problem. Others would have told you we only carried OE parts and they needed this and that yadda yadda yadda.

I got tired of idiots looking for a water pump for a 350 or something and telling me "they were all the same". Just to be a dick I would sell them a water pump for a newer 350...usually an lt1. Which would not work.

I do have sympathy for most parts store workers. A lot of them don't know anything about cars. They are just some 18 year old kid that mades 7$ an hour. It is a surprisingly hard job too. The rigors of working with dumbass redneck retard customers wears you down after awhile. Plus most of the time it is extremely busy.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
I got tired of idiots looking for a water pump for a 350 or something and telling me "they were all the same". Just to be a dick I would sell them a water pump for a newer 350...usually an lt1. Which would not work.
You didn't even have to go that new. Chevy had two different water pumps back in the day, and it depended on what car or truck the motor was in or came out of. It effected all of the accessories on the motor. They had a short and a long water pump.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank God I dont work at autozone anymore!

I got my *** out of there when the wanted to promote me to a manager at $7.90 and hour, two years later I make almost double what my store manager was making.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Ya I think in 69 or 70 or something they started with the long style water pump. Before that it was short. That's still funny. I've always wanted to work there just part time on weekends for some extra money (O'Rielly's) But i don't know if I could deal with people getting pissed off at me. I have a bad enough temper as it is.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I get sick of these threads. What do you expect from teenagers out of high school, making barely minimum wage? Why do you think the parts are not the most expensive in the industry? If you want expert knowledge, go to NAPA, but you're also going to pay a premium.

And I hate the people who walk in and say "I need a seal for a 9". How the hell would some kid who drives a Cavalier or Honda know WTF a 9" is, or what it came out of? If you're so good, you should know what the rearend came out of. Like my 58 Edsel... I can tell you the 9" in there came out of a 76 Lincoln. Give these guys a break if ya can. The customer service you get is often just as good as the attitude you show them. I still work there on Sundays for a few extra $$, I enjoy it for the most part. If you're a dick to me, I'll be a dick to you. If you come in with a good attitude, I'll do everything to my ability to help you. If I can't help you, I'll call someone who can. I'll even give you a discount for the hell of it.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

There's teenagers that work at the NAPA in my town. They're too overpriced anyways. Parts stores don't usually carry anything aftermarket anyways. Just stock oem replacement. I think orielly's here carry's flowmasters and that's probably the only thing. Why would I want to buy something as a stock oem replacement thats more expensive than it is anywhere else. Why would anyone. Just my $.02
Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,689 Likes on 1,210 Posts

In the future, please post threads like this in the lounge. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Horror story from AutoZone