General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What have you done that should've been done at the Factory?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 406malibu
I stand corrected
The hump is a cary over from the 3rd gen unibody. The underside of my buddies '86 looked just like my '91, '97 and '02. By the time it wasn't used anymore I think the nail was in the coffin for the Camaro.

I agree with upgraded lighting. My black SS was constantly getting run off the road at night until I put silverstar bulbs in.

My delco battery sprung a leak and the rear main seal was installed backwards from the factory. So I guess I wish I hadn't have had to fix those.
Old 06-02-2009 | 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91RS383
The hump is a cary over from the 3rd gen unibody. The underside of my buddies '86 looked just like my '91, '97 and '02. By the time it wasn't used anymore I think the nail was in the coffin for the Camaro.

I agree with upgraded lighting. My black SS was constantly getting run off the road at night until I put silverstar bulbs in.

My delco battery sprung a leak and the rear main seal was installed backwards from the factory. So I guess I wish I hadn't have had to fix those.
why didnt you get a dealership to fix that. If it was installed wrong from the factory they should be responsible... unless you just discovered it like 6 months ago LOL
Old 06-02-2009 | 04:07 PM
Launching!

Better shocks, lid, cb.

Though, all addressed with the 02 firehawk.
Old 06-02-2009 | 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 406malibu
why didnt you get a dealership to fix that. If it was installed wrong from the factory they should be responsible... unless you just discovered it like 6 months ago LOL
I had the dealership replace the rear main twice. The third time the car had become a garage queeen so it took much longer to leak. I thought the crank must be bent or something as quickly as I was going through rear mains. When I went to replace it during the converter swap I noticed the tiny words "this side faces out" on the inside of the seal. The new one said the same thing. I installed it corectly and hasn't leaked since.

If I wasn't paying attention or the lighting wasn't as good I would have installed the seal like the past tech did, backwards. I just assume that since it hasn't leaked again that the techs simply put a new seal on the car just like they found the old one and that's why my leak was never fixed.
Old 06-02-2009 | 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91RS383
I had the dealership replace the rear main twice. The third time the car had become a garage queeen so it took much longer to leak. I thought the crank must be bent or something as quickly as I was going through rear mains. When I went to replace it during the converter swap I noticed the tiny words "this side faces out" on the inside of the seal. The new one said the same thing. I installed it corectly and hasn't leaked since.

If I wasn't paying attention or the lighting wasn't as good I would have installed the seal like the past tech did, backwards. I just assume that since it hasn't leaked again that the techs simply put a new seal on the car just like they found the old one and that's why my leak was never fixed.
Now that would **** me off! if you cant trust a GM tech who can ya? lol
Old 06-02-2009 | 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Love the subrames and 12 bolt. But drag radials?

I could just see someone buying a car with Mickey Thompsons on them and driving it home from the dealership. It starts to pour rain while they are on the highway. They spin out of control, cause a 10 car pileup and create a multi million dollar lawsuit against GM.

Who would then turn around and file bankruptcy
well maybe not mickeys lol, but as someone has posted earlier, STIs came with some pretty sticky tires for a stock vehicle, i believe they're a type of potenzas.
Old 06-02-2009 | 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

12 bolt.
Old 06-02-2009 | 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
12 bolt.
you skipped a lot didnt you?
Old 06-02-2009 | 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

i would totally suggest a brembo brake system with 6 piston calipers in front and 4 in the back, with upgraded a kby shock combo...
Old 06-02-2009 | 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroB4C
i would totally suggest a brembo brake system with 6 piston calipers in front and 4 in the back, with upgraded a kby shock combo...
another one that skipped most of the thread.. im nailing you suckers left and right..
Old 06-02-2009 | 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
another one that skipped most of the thread.. im nailing you suckers left and right..

DM
Old 06-02-2009 | 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

some kind of dark gray as a color option.. C'mon 2010 they wisened up and added it back!
Old 06-02-2009 | 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GOOD!!! I'm sorry to be a dick, but read the title folks.

"What have YOU done that GM SHOULD'VE done to your car". It isn't 'how come my SS didn't come with a magnacharger option!'

The whole point of this thread was to find out what stuff I can up grade to make the car work better. I was inspired after my windows have both been re-wired to work off a full 12V so they don't burn out every 18 months. So I was curious what other stuff can be done to fix what GM didn't.
Old 06-02-2009 | 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor

DM

nice, i wish someone would make my name green..
Old 06-03-2009 | 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lotus289
The whole point of this thread was to find out what stuff I can up grade to make the car work better. So I was curious what other stuff can be done to fix what GM didn't.
Allong those lines... I replaced the factory monsoon speakers with Sonys. I had to rewire the speakers to work with the car wiring. I wish GM had made the car compatable with aftermarket speakers.
Old 06-03-2009 | 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

all autos come with Yank SS3600s.
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lotus289
I was thinking about some of the upgrades I've done and curious about what others have done. So what have you fixed that should've been done from the factory.

Me:
- T-Tops! (Every 4th gen F-Body should've come with them)
- Upgraded the DRL Sockets due to weak factory wiring
- Upgraded Fog Light Sockets due to weak factory wiring
- Installed an On/Off switch for the automatic headlight sensor
- Re-wired the Passenger Door Window so it gets a full 12V direct from the battery, not through the Drivers Door Switch
- Whistler Headlights (just my opinion but all the Camaro's should have these)

I think that's it. Right now I'm working on a way to get a full 12V to the Drivers Side Window motor and still retain the Auto-Down feature.
(And in all wiring upgrades "I" = my friend who's and electrical genius) Thanx! Lol
I agree with most of what you said...but I looked for a LONG time to find an M6 Hard Top Z28...and I'm still looking for an M6 hard top SS to add to the garage. I have driven cars with t-tops...and they're cool...but I prefer the look of the hard top cars.

Only way I'd want a removable roof is if it were a targa (single panel) so there'd be no seam up the middle.
Old 06-08-2009 | 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

...and what exactly are you nailing us for... for posting our opinion???
Old 06-08-2009 | 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
...and what exactly are you nailing us for... for posting our opinion???
for not reading what the hell the thread is about...

"o look heres a thread.... hmm whats the op saying...... ahhhhh, the hell with it... i feel like posting this here....."

Old 06-08-2009 | 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

for not reading what the hell the thread is about...

"o look heres a thread.... hmm whats the op saying...... ahhhhh, the hell with it... i feel like posting this here....."

How many times have you posted in this thread? How many upgrades have you recommended? I rest my case.

I changed out my 10 bolt for a 12, I don't think anyone would argue our cars should not have come with a better rear. Stop post whoring and move on.