General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

For those of us who have cut access holes for fuel pumps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the hundreds of people here who cut the access door with a cut off wheel, who has blown themselves up? I've never heard of anyone. I know if you blew yourself up and are dead you can't answer this question, but take a little care and don't cut the plastic tank or fuel lines. I used a 1" dremel cut-off wheel, people do way dumber things than this, most notably crawling under a car only supported by a jack.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this conversation was beat to death on camaroz28.com many years ago when people first started doing this. i think the whole thing comes down to the risk you want to take for the time you save in dropping the rear end to get to the gas tank.

the pros are clear, you have super fast access to your fuel pump which is awesome.

IIRC, the arguments were primarily of sparking more of an empty fuel tank than a full one, since the more empty tank has a lot more area for the fumes and it's the fumes that blow up, not the gasoline.

also - some of the guys were saying that in case of a crash, you now have created an easy access for a fire into the cabin with you in it, so there is another risk.

if i need to do it, my buddy has a lift now, so I think I'd drop the rear end and the tank and do it the right way. that rear end comes out pretty quickly once you disconnect the driveshaft and the torque arm.

if I didn't have the buddy with a lift, I would still drop it, but i would then cut an access hole and figure out some way to have it sealed, yet still be accessible while minimizing my risk (although it is increased)
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it like merim123 says. He is right, also since you cut the piece out, why not have a nice panel made and have DZUS buttons holding it down. It's a simple fix and will look nice too.
Just be careful out there. I would never wish anyone to be burned like I was! Different scenario but same outcome.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats happened to this site? I don't remember so many people concerned about fire entering the cabin. Next there will be a warning in the nitrous posts that add a disclaimer that you can blow your car up by hooking up laughing gas the wrong way...

I guess its ironic to me as I am a auto tech and I work in a small shop with one other guy. He's in his 60's and smokes all the time. I've watched him smoke as he drops tanks out of cars all the time. Granted it is literally "playing with fire" but seriously. Just seems like a lot of mothering. Maybe its just me. There was a time we didn't worry about drinking from a garden hose and children didn't need to be in a car seat in the back until they were 12 too. I think the access hole is a great idea and G.M. should have done it from the factory. The metal fill tube on the older cars is a bitch to deal with.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i had to do it all over again, i would cut the hole, the first time i did it , was on a 96 fbird, i couldnt get the tank all the way out cause of the filler neck, would an 02 hawk be any diff
Old 06-28-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Tara
Whats happened to this site? I don't remember so many people concerned about fire entering the cabin. Next there will be a warning in the nitrous posts that add a disclaimer that you can blow your car up by hooking up laughing gas the wrong way...

I guess its ironic to me as I am a auto tech and I work in a small shop with one other guy. He's in his 60's and smokes all the time. I've watched him smoke as he drops tanks out of cars all the time. Granted it is literally "playing with fire" but seriously. Just seems like a lot of mothering. Maybe its just me. There was a time we didn't worry about drinking from a garden hose and children didn't need to be in a car seat in the back until they were 12 too. I think the access hole is a great idea and G.M. should have done it from the factory. The metal fill tube on the older cars is a bitch to deal with.
ill bet that guy talks on his cell phone while pumping gas too, im a helicopter mechanic, i use to smoke all day all over the aircraft, i quit smoking though, they say its not good for u.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

i helped a buddy do it to his t/a and we just cut it on 3 sides and folded it up, once we were done we just bent it back down layed the dynomat and carpet over it and you cant even tell
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Tara

i agree ive always smoked while doin anything with a motor, its good luck to drop ashes into the valvetrain j/k. but i always like the looks on peoples faces when they see me smoking at the gas pump lol
Old 07-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

If I ever have to change my fuel pump this is exactly how I'll do it! Although I wouldn't use a cut off wheel or anything that made sparks. Just drill a couple holes and use a jigsaw or tin snips.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

What about a Sawzall and a metal blade. Working carefully you could easily cut that out.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by araber89
What about a Sawzall and a metal blade. Working carefully you could easily cut that out.
I'd end up cutting up the tank and lines.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
ill bet that guy talks on his cell phone while pumping gas too
??? That can't do anything.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ch-diet-8.html
Post #154 and some more pics at the bottem.

my buddy made me a nice alum cover, with a outer lip and bead rolled. Go around the lower bend, adds a ton of work room. And make the pannel a lot stiff, I still carry my 4 drag wheels to the track back there. I got some stock type body clips and used 10-32 screws Im happy with the setup, easy to removed and not going to wear out or anything sharp sticking down like with sheet metal screws.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss69
I just cut 3 sides of it and folded it up. When I got done I just layed it back down. I'll do something with it eventually.
same here...'fixed' a latch, taped all the edges to keep dust,etc out....
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a lift, and honestly I think im going to cut it like everyone else. Just looks so much easier to do it that way.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, if you're so concerned about sparks starting a fire, put a big fan to circulate the air. It's been done a million times and I know of no one who has blown themselves up or started a fire.

Basically, there's such a huge are to disperse the fumes over, you would have to be sitting in the car with the hatch closed and the windows up, and even then it's unlikely. Do you smell strong gas fumes every time you lift your car? No.

The only way this is really dangerous is if you try something stupid like using a giant cutting wheel (5" plus) and plunging it all the way down in there or you use a big honkin' sawzall.

20 minutes to cut a hole and have permanent access to the fuel pump versus dropping the rear, draining the tank, and then dropping the tank too? Not a tough choice.

[/rant] sorry...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Just did mine! No issues except the pump i bought off of a member is missing parts! Not happy!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002ws-6
Of the hundreds of people here who cut the access door with a cut off wheel, who has blown themselves up? I've never heard of anyone. I know if you blew yourself up and are dead you can't answer this question, but take a little care and don't cut the plastic tank or fuel lines. I used a 1" dremel cut-off wheel, people do way dumber things than this, most notably crawling under a car only supported by a jack.
I would never use a cutoff wheel, I would use an air saw instead. Much cleaner & safer, no sparks.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Dropping the tank is not that hard. And you don't have to drop the rear end to do it. It's more work than most would want to do, but it's the proper way to do it. Cutting the access hole just seems like a bad idea. There isn't much securing the pump into the tank. In a serious rear end collision, where the tank is ruptured, chances of fuel getting into the passenger compartment is very likely. Add a spark to that scenario, and you have a bad day to anyone sitting in the car. Extreme yes, but it can happen.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA
Dropping the tank is not that hard. And you don't have to drop the rear end to do it. It's more work than most would want to do, but it's the proper way to do it. Cutting the access hole just seems like a bad idea. There isn't much securing the pump into the tank. In a serious rear end collision, where the tank is ruptured, chances of fuel getting into the passenger compartment is very likely. Add a spark to that scenario, and you have a bad day to anyone sitting in the car. Extreme yes, but it can happen.

Dropping the tank in a 2002 (which you have according to your sig) is a LOT easier than a metal tank car (98's). You do have to drop the rear to take it out on a metal tank car, which is mostly what this refers to.

And if you get hit hard enough to rupture the fuel tank, it's going to rip a hole in the body and the fuel could get in anyways. If you're not a dumbass and take 5 minutes to make it seal back up, there won't be any inssues.

Bottom line, lots of people do it, nobody has blown themselves up, I haven't heard of anybody having this cause an issue in a wreck, so we are:

Quick Reply: For those of us who have cut access holes for fuel pumps.