General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pontiac G8 GT's, Your thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pontiac G8 GT's, Your thoughts???

Im thinking of possibly trading in the SS for a G8 GT. I recently took a look at the GXP G8, since it was the only G8 in the dealership lot. I really liked it, just didnt like the $40k price tag lol

I realize that its somewhat of a step down, since the G8's do weigh alot more. I believe there at 4000lbs or so, but i feel like the 6.0L engine (G8 GT models) helps overcome some of that weight. Arent these cars supposed to be Mid to high 13 second cars?? Or Low to Mid 13's?? I cant remember what i read on edumds.com about these cars. Unless im way off lol

Looking to see what your thoughts are about these cars??

Im only 22, single with no kids. So those arent the reasons for me wanting to trade the car in. I just feel at times, like i would rather have a newer car. I do travel from time to time and the SS is gonna hit 100k miles but still runs strong & everything. Im still gonna mod it slowly though lol Probably just longtubes, exhaust, intake & tune and leave it alone.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theyre a step up over an fbody. much nicer. they make my GTO feel ancient imo. g8 forum in here has good info on these cars. theyre about a mid 13 sec. car stock but they respond well to minor mods. especially tuning.

GXPs are really nice.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

G8 GT's are very nice cars. I am looking at one for my wife to drive as a DD for 3 years then become my DD after that. I have seen some 08's in the low 20's already.

Going to the dealer monday to see what they can do since I just saw the 72 months a 0% interest.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dealerships are trying to get rid of them at the moment, not because they're bad, but to deplete their inventory. Get 'em while you can, great cars, and this is coming from a guy who hates 4 door cars.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great cars but nowhere near they eye candy appeal of an SS.

I guess it all depends on what you want........
Old 07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Great cars but nowhere near they eye candy appeal of an SS.

I guess it all depends on what you want........
You can say that again! They blend right into the monotony of everyday vehicles. Zzzzzz...
Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GXP's are 55lbs heavier than the GT's...so the only upside is the Manual Tranny...save the money and buy a supercharger for the GT.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
GXP's are 55lbs heavier than the GT's...so the only upside is the Manual Tranny...save the money and buy a supercharger for the GT.
Damn, i didnt even think about forced induction for these cars. If i do choose to trade the SS in for one of these. Ill probably go that route lol So i take it the GXP's give you the manual transmission option, while GT's are all auto?? I know the GXP i saw was an Automatic.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

i was actually looking into my next car already since i have some new job opportunities coming my way..
currently own an 06 impala ss..
wrong wheel drive dusnt have me too mod happy with the car but the car is rare around my area so i still get some looks and like the feeling of having one of the few impala SS's on the road..
for my next car i was looking into of course an 05 or 06 GTO, or an 02 camaro ss.. thought about the g8gt since its 4 door AND isnt only fast in a straight line.. and its gonna be my daily driver... but the lack of hp/torque kinda has me thinking... price tag IS going down though i too have seen some with low miles around 20k
time will tell though... price tags will be different when im in the market again..

dare i say i also saw some charger srt8's 2008 with 30-35k miles for around 27k
tempting but ill try to resist... GM all the way
Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 AM

with a 40k price tag, you being young and single i dont get why you arent lookin at a new ss. I thought they were impossible to get but i have seen a few for sale on craigslist.(i get bored and look at some of the random big cities on the home page). i dont know if they are going for sticker price though. like the skylines still sell above sticker.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmyhocker
with a 40k price tag, you being young and single i dont get why you arent lookin at a new ss. I thought they were impossible to get but i have seen a few for sale on craigslist.(i get bored and look at some of the random big cities on the home page). i dont know if they are going for sticker price though. like the skylines still sell above sticker.
Well i am thinking of the new Camaros as of now too. I just dont know if i wanna go ahead and get me a 4dr for the extra room, or get another 2dr car. Overall, i think the new Camaros look better and will probably get more of a response like hoods, spoilers & etc. from the aftermarket then what the g8's will/have. Im up in the air about both of these cars as of right now.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 AM

ya i think with the g8 what you see is about what your gonna get, besides maybe some tires and a drop not much you can do looks wise. either way its a good choice they are two great looking cars.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

I think the G8 is sexy as hell. I hated it at first but now after seeing it in person love them.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brians91formula
I think the G8 is sexy as hell. I hated it at first but now after seeing it in person love them.
Yea thats how i was at 1st, but after i saw the GXP at the dealership and then the ones i see driving around. I started liking them alot more.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

I own a Camaro with a blower and a G8 with spray. Both are fun cars and I love them both. I don't think I could part with either at this point. I like them both for different reasons but I think I really enjoy getting in the G8 the most after driving around the Camaro. It's so refined compared to the Z and roomy. Handles like a dream to. As far as the price goes you can really chew them down on these cars. I bought mine before pontiac closed the doors and got 5k off the sticker and 0% finacing for 60 months. It was quick from the dealer but they need to be tuned bad. I tuned mine myself with EFI live and this thing is loaded with torque management in the worst way. (if your local to me I'll do yours to) You can also advance the timing a lot cause it's tuned to run on 87 octane. It's heavy though which does slow it down a bit off the line but it's a killer on the highway. I raced a EVO9 from 60-100 the other day and had to slow down to make sure he was even trying. The six speed auto is so dope, I with I could get that thing in my Camaro....
Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

To compare to Gt to the GXP real quick I would break it down like this. If you are gonna keep it forever go GXP cause it will be worth something someday. If you want to lightly mod it think GXP but if you get into heavy mods go with the GT. The main differnece is the cam and extra .2 liters. They have the same heads (L92/LS3) which rock, add a big cam to a GT and the playing feild is pretty much level. Only bitch is you have to get the DOD removal kit.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Wow $5k off the price tag, woudnt have expected that much on these car's. Especially an 09 like you have. I will definately try to talk them down on the price as much as i can. If they wont really budge, maybe ill just ask them to find me a GT model or tell them ill just go somewhere else. I think ive read about these car's needing a tune somewhere on here. Im about 2hrs away from Texas Speed, so i may just go out that way after a quick exhaust & cai install. Maybe even wait and put longtubes on then go get the tune.

P.S. That's a funny line you have for the G8 Gt on your sig lol
Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Their are three things I really don't like about this car though. 1. No navi, a real bummer and pretty important to be a high class car. 2. To recline the front seats it's a **** instead of a lever and it's difficult to reach. 3. No memory seats option.
But I can list a ton of pros for the car that greatly outweight the cons.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cons in my book are no navigation, no manual transmission option and no onstar.

The GXP fixes the manual trans problem, but still no navigation, something that a 40K car should have, especially with the BMW target ads of last year.

Ryan
Old 07-12-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

You might wanna start saving and waiting for this.... I'm so excited to see this finally in a Chevy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/11/l...u-s-z28-likel/

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 GT's, Your thoughts???