General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fellow people with cutouts, does this annoy you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the same deal as people calling an engine a motor. Some people just think the stuff is neat and are afraid to ask ? for fear of being treated like a dumbass. But some people when you explain stuff to them start to pick the stuff up. I just kinda try to decide who I want to spend time messing with and who not. Cuz some people just plain don't know. My cutout pisses me off cuz it vibrates my whole car from like 1800-2400. That my main complaint about a cutout. I hope this post helps keep some poor 16 year old kid from getting his head torn off next time he mistakes a cutout for a cutoff
Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 213 Likes on 164 Posts

I've never really heard that one before. I open mine up and just about everyone is like "holy **** that's loud..!"
Mine is a 3.5" QTP Electric Cut-out, the Exhaust is a 3" Y'd into a 4", then eventually narrowed into a 3.5" with the Cut-out.

It's loud as ****, no other way to say it really.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
sorry dude, a million videos couldnt change my mind. I ******* hate the way they sound, especially on a Y pipe. I think open headers sound like *** on our cars as well. These motors have a funny raspy airy sound to them that i hate, now a dragster at the track should have open headers...
Build yourself a big Engine and it won't sound like ***.. trust me.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Multiburon
You get mad over the stupidest stuff! Chill out! Im going to call it a cutoff all the time now! Should we tell everyone about your rug story! lol
Are you seriously going thru all my posts and just commenting lol..
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how did we go from discussing cut-outs to discussing a muffler system with actual mufflers? Talk about your apples to oranges.....
i posted a video of my car at the track just because...

this was your response..

sorry dude, a million videos couldnt change my mind. I ******* hate the way they sound, especially on a Y pipe. I think open headers sound like *** on our cars as well. These motors have a funny raspy airy sound to them that i hate, now a dragster at the track should have open headers...
i proceeded to let you know that my car did not have a cutout...

made perfect sense.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

kinda off the subject, but i was out in the garage the other day working on the car and i needed to start it. its fairly loud with full exhaust, so i stuck the *** end out of the garage a little bit. next thing i know, my gf comes stormin out asking is there a way to turn it down!? i said, "honey, if i do anything, i am going to make it louder, and no, you cant turn it down." uhg, "why?" she replied. i just said she looked beautiful and to go back inside.
so what do i do, i open the cut-off, oh ****! sorry, cut-out. that wasnt such a good idea.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

My pet peeve is are you "chipped"? I tell them no it's tuned and they say yep it's"chipped".
Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Yea that chip comment pisses me off too. ALTHOUGH back in the early mid 90's some cars, mostly imports did actually have a "chip" you could solder to the pcm.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by john shea
My pet peeve is are you "chipped"? I tell them no it's tuned and they say yep it's"chipped".
i swear i want to bitch slap everyone who says this to me...

even with the way my car sounds when i say no they give a disgusted look like that slow POS...

i had a local kid tell me his stock 02 ws6 would be a race for my car (2900lb. ms4/PRC ls6/4k stall/ported 9090 etc etc etc) because he had ram air and 10 chips installed in it..
i asked if he just had a small card board box sitting in the engine bay full of chips or if he actually found a place to "shove" them in..

he looked at me very confused...

im just wondering where people install these "chips" at in our cars..

i honest to god ******* HATE that question... people ask me that and i IMMEDIATELY assume they know absolutely nothing about cars... i do understand that some turbo imports have great gains from some type of "chip" but thats a different story from a NA 5.7l. 346 ls1...
Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

just chip it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...=p4506.c0.m245
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...=p4506.c0.m245
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-PER...=p4506.c0.m245

i could have ran 9s for under 30 bucks..
Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
i swear i want to bitch slap everyone who says this to me...

even with the way my car sounds when i say no they give a disgusted look like that slow POS...

i had a local kid tell me his stock 02 ws6 would be a race for my car (2900lb. ms4/PRC ls6/4k stall/ported 9090 etc etc etc) because he had ram air and 10 chips installed in it..
i asked if he just had a small card board box sitting in the engine bay full of chips or if he actually found a place to "shove" them in..

he looked at me very confused...

im just wondering where people install these "chips" at in our cars..

i honest to god ******* HATE that question... people ask me that and i IMMEDIATELY assume they know absolutely nothing about cars... i do understand that some turbo imports have great gains from some type of "chip" but thats a different story from a NA 5.7l. 346 ls1...
The term "chip" was really popular in the pre-OBD-II era with the likes of the 5.0 Mustangs, TPI/92-93 LT1 Corvette/F-bodies and so on, and just kind of stuck I guess. Not everyone knows about cars like we enthusiasts do. I get people asking me random questions all the time about my cars and they have no idea what they are talking about. Instead of ragging on them I explain what it is and what it does and now they've learned something new!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
The term "chip" was really popular in the pre-OBD-II era with the likes of the 5.0 Mustangs, TPI/92-93 LT1 Corvette/F-bodies and so on, and just kind of stuck I guess. Not everyone knows about cars like we enthusiasts do. I get people asking me random questions all the time about my cars and they have no idea what they are talking about. Instead of ragging on them I explain what it is and what it does and now they've learned something new!
i do agree that there are plenty of people that want to learn.. but there are also the ones (usually the ones i meet) that will sit there and argue with you or say your wrong and know nothing..
i tried on multiple occasions to help this HS kid in the Ws6 and explain things to him.. he also said his car has 425hp from the factory and since i had a base model that i only had 300hp..
no matter how hard i tried to help, he would not listen.. so i just started making fun of him...

he wrecked the car (02 ws6 w/ 5k miles, yes 5k miles, that his grand father gave him) about 2-3 months after he got it.. i called that from the first time i heard he got it..
Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Don't complain because people don't know what to call a certain part. What if someone came up and started asking you about Christians or Jesus or some ****. Most people are gonna look retarded while trying to talk about it. lol just sayin. Not everyone is a car person. Just correct them and they won't do it to you again.
This is how every car person should look at non car people. They aren't "stupid" they just aren't in to cars enough to research this stuff on their free time. I see so many threads about "what's the dumbest question people have asked about your car" and others along those lines it's starting to get ridiculous.

The only people who I believe are stupid about cars and often ask ignorant questions are people who put buge unnessasary spoilers and tons of stickers on an otherwise decent car.

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Actually, the ORIGINAL name for them is "DUMPS"....ask anyone over 50.
I'm not debating whether you're right or not but when I hear "dumps" I think of something like an open y-pipe with no catback and turn downs. I thought that's what everyone meant when they said they have "dumps".
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
This is how every car person should look at non car people. They aren't "stupid" they just aren't in to cars enough to research this stuff on their free time. I see so many threads about "what's the dumbest question people have asked about your car" and others along those lines it's starting to get ridiculous.

The only people who I believe are stupid about cars and often ask ignorant questions are people who put buge unnessasary spoilers and tons of stickers on an otherwise decent car.

I'm not debating whether you're right or not but when I hear "dumps" I think of something like an open y-pipe with no catback and turn downs. I thought that's what everyone meant when they said they have "dumps".
i went to weld up the girlfriends cutout a few weeks ago... i was talking to my exhaust guy (late 40s) and he said do i need to make it or you have it? i said i already had it.. he pulled the car up on the rack and got out... then he asked where the "dump" was.. i smiled an said right here....
Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 213 Likes on 164 Posts

Here is my engineering masterpiece..lol

I cut it off the car earlier today..

3" Y'd into 4", then narrowed into 3.5" with the cutout, dump, cutoff..whatever you call it..lol Bolted to it a QTP Electric Cutout..

It's fckn stupid loud.
Attached Thumbnails Fellow people with cutouts, does this annoy you?-custom-y-pipe-cutout.jpg   Fellow people with cutouts, does this annoy you?-cutout.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
i do agree that there are plenty of people that want to learn.. but there are also the ones (usually the ones i meet) that will sit there and argue with you or say your wrong and know nothing..
i tried on multiple occasions to help this HS kid in the Ws6 and explain things to him.. he also said his car has 425hp from the factory and since i had a base model that i only had 300hp..
no matter how hard i tried to help, he would not listen.. so i just started making fun of him...

he wrecked the car (02 ws6 w/ 5k miles, yes 5k miles, that his grand father gave him) about 2-3 months after he got it.. i called that from the first time i heard he got it..
Well if they are stubborn then yes that's different. That's like hitting a brick wall, there's no point. lol
Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Never had this problem before. Everyone I have been around has called it a cut out.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I just get annoyed when people use terms like "chipped" and "dumps" "cutouts" etc. as catch phrases when they dont understand them. They think if it's "chipped and dumped" it must be fast. Or the people that try to tell you what YOU need for YOUR car, especially if they do not own the smae type of car. Like "dude you need long tubes and a flowmaster exhaust" (what I actually heard from a non-ls1 driving coworker) If you have first hand knowledge then okay, but it's my car and I know what it needs so dont tell me things like, "get a K&N air filter that thing will be fast" and other such nonsense.

oh I was just venting, no cutout here