General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Question about emissions and a carb???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about emissions and a carb???

I live in NC and we have emissions here now, my car is an 02 and I was wondering if I swapped to a carb is there anyway to pass emissions? All the guy does to my car is hooks up the obd. Is there any way to swap to carb and still make it pass?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No.

And what possible advantage could there be to switching to carb?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still searching for advantages, alot has done it and i'm just throwing the idea up.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

A carb is in no way an advantage over EFI. The only reason you would even consider this is if some race class forbids EFI. I personally haven't had the opportunity yet to get into any form of racing, so I'm not sure if that kinda thing even exists anymore.

This EFI>carb conversion stuff came about initially because old school mechanics preferred to remain ignorant to the advantages (and the learning curve) of newer technology.

Spend some time in the PCM tuning forum, and instead of trying to put a carb on there, look at investing in a tuning setup for your car. It'll take some time, but that is going to be a far better route to go for performance, reliability and emissions.

That said, if you still feel the need to convert to carb, it is possible, the parts do exist and the info for it is on this site if you search around a bit. I'm kinda curious myself now as to if there's some kind of advantage that I didn't realize.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know if there is an advantage or not.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

I just did a bit of research in the "gen III external engine" forum and I'm finding that the carb setup is widely used in conversions, IE if you're swapping an LS1 into an older car and you don't want to try and convert the wiring. I could totally see that being the simplest way. It does seem that some of the carb guys are making good power too, so maybe I'm a little to quick to discount it. But I still would think that there's no way in hell you can get past emissions with it though.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I'm wondering. I know alot of guys that could help with a carb setup that won't touch my car with efi on it and tuners cost a good bit and aren't really close. I'm doing a new setup and just wondering if its even possible if I swapped to get by the emissions thing. If you find anymore out let me know! Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

The majority of Super Stock f-bodies have done carb swaps for consistancy/predictability. These guys are lethal E.T. racers and the cars are purpose built race cars.

In order to run a carb and a nice high flow single plane intake you will likely have clearance issues getting an air cleaner under the hood.

Federal emissions laws state that removal of any emissions component is a violation of that law and will cause you to fail state emissions inspections. EFI is a mandated emission controll component. If you delete the cats the inspector may not notice. If the intake mysteriously has a carburetor on it, he'll probably notice.

On the off chance that he doesn't, you should be able to tune the computer to do none of the emissions tests but always say they pass. This would make the car look like it passes an OBD inspection.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

work with the computer. its friendly once you get to know it