General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car was just rear ended tonight...what to do. THE DAY AFTER THE CAM INSTALL!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car was just rear ended tonight...what to do. THE DAY AFTER THE CAM INSTALL!!!!!

So heres the deal guys. Basically I just got my car finished/tuned after the new mods/wheels (226/236 ASA cam, pushrods/springs/LS6 intake and TB and made 414 RWHP SAE on the dyno with those and the mods in my sig THURSDAY. Fast forward to today, Its pouring rain all day, so I'm just cruising around town for work, getting a feel for the car, counting the minutes till I hit the track. I get a call from a "friend" who wants me to spend the night (you get the idea), so I get into the turn lane , use my signal, and am all easy-peasy and then BOOM, an 82 year old grandpa rear ends me going 65 MPH as I'm just sitting there waiting to turn. Thank goodness I was wearing a belt....i have some neck and back pain but i could have died....(but going to the ER because of neck pain. ) The entire rear end of the car is completely smashed, quarter panels all crumped, Borlas dragging the ground, etc. I'm not sure what to expect here. I have full coverage with Nationwide, and actually just called today and added six thousand dollars worth of extra coverage for aftermarket parts if I ever totalled it because of all the mods I added recently; however since he is at fault his company (State Farm), should pick up every cent. The car is a silver 2000 WS6 that just rolled 80k....any idea what to expect here? I'm sorry for all the rambled thoughts, I'm just mad enough to kill someone/cry right now....last thing I want is for his insurance to **** me. I may want to buy the car back and part it out if its cheap...but everybody who saw it guessed it would be totalled...I'm just in shock right now. I want to get what I paid for the thing.... Thanks for any advice guys.

Blake

Last edited by SlowSS416; 08-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news, if it smashed in both back rear quarter panels they are probabley going to total the car out. Those are the most expensive things to fix on a f body and working for GM I can tell you that those have to be welded in and would cost a lot to fix. Good Luck, but I dont for see this going to the body shop.

Post some pics so we can get a feel for the vehicle and the extent of the damage.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Q: When do you give up on an F-body?
A: When im 6' deep underground in my casket!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Grandpas insurance should pay for your car. Your insurance shouldn't matter TOO much, except with you adding the extra because of your mods, his insurance should better match that. And if they balk, that's when you get your insurance company to go after his insurance to pay up.

That really sucks dude

I'd buy it back, so if nothing else you can transfer what's still in good shape to the new fbody you replace it with and part out the rest.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang man Im sorry... If it makes you feel any better I bought my first LS car 2 months ago. First night some one hit it in a parking lot caving the quarter panel in behind the door. Then just drove off, then I was going to a swap meet and they were working on the freeway. They had us all exiting an exit. I was dead stopped and a 09 honda civic ran me over from behind. Scratched the back bumper, moved it so now the rivits are showing. and put a small dent over licenses plate. I was in pain too. I choose not to go to the hospital, dumb move I am still hurting some. They didnt total my car. I also got a nice chunk of change, enough to fix the quarter panel with out claiming on my insurance and get a nice PPG base clear factory paint job on the car. Hope you are ok. Definitly bring it up to the adjuster or agent that you are hurting and they will take care of the bills, and cut you a check for pain and suffering.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Blake I replied to your PM. Good luck.......
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really blows. Sorry to hear that. Take out the motor and trans and stick it in something else that is light and handles a lot better.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Post some pics so we can get a feel for the vehicle and the extent of the damage.
Thanks man, I'll definately take some better ones today and post them up (all I had was crappy cell pics last night).
Originally Posted by 98Z2885
Dang man Im sorry... If it makes you feel any better I bought my first LS car 2 months ago. First night some one hit it in a parking lot caving the quarter panel in behind the door. Then just drove off, then I was going to a swap meet and they were working on the freeway. They had us all exiting an exit. I was dead stopped and a 09 honda civic ran me over from behind. Scratched the back bumper, moved it so now the rivits are showing. and put a small dent over licenses plate. I was in pain too. I choose not to go to the hospital, dumb move I am still hurting some. They didnt total my car. I also got a nice chunk of change, enough to fix the quarter panel with out claiming on my insurance and get a nice PPG base clear factory paint job on the car. Hope you are ok. Definitly bring it up to the adjuster or agent that you are hurting and they will take care of the bills, and cut you a check for pain and suffering.
Man, that does suck! The thing about him too was that he is 82, and apparently thought he was turning five miles down the road in a completely different area/road, which makes his senility and sanity questionable....I'm not out to screw anyone but as long as his insurance picks up the tab I'll live....
Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Blake I replied to your PM. Good luck.......
Thanks a lot Mark, I really appreciate it all.

I did end up going to the ER/getting it on a DR record that I was having pain, I'll most likely be getting an MRI today or tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be rolling something faster this time around, but the car was MINT, probably an 8 and a half out of ten with the exception of....a few scratchs on one of the quarter panels true story!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

i just had a 16 year old girl run a stop sign and hit my 98 Z in MINT condition and take out my front end. i had two qotes from reputable body shops for 5,400-5,700 and her insurance company only forked over $3150... goodluck
Old 08-15-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Post some PICs of your car before and after.........
Old 08-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Man, that does suck! The thing about him too was that he is 82, and apparently thought he was turning five miles down the road in a completely different area/road, which makes his senility and sanity questionable....I'm not out to screw anyone but as long as his insurance picks up the tab I'll live....
[/QUOTE]

I wasnt either, They asked me how I felt and at that time I was hurting so all I did was say my back and neck were hurting. They gave me money and I didnt even expect it at all. I hope it works out for you. Hopefully they will buy you another camaro and not just cut you a check.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear that...talk about bad luck.

Your most important tool is now going to be your record keeping. All your receipts and documents that can help set the value where it needs to be. His insurance company might try everything NOT to pay so be ready to battle hard.

I once had a situation where an insurance company didn't want to pay anything. I told them on the phone that I was sure the Insurance Auditor in Austin would be hearing from me. The claim was paid in full the next working day.

Good luck...hope you get it straightened out soon!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Get a lawyer... the insurance company will try to screw you, and with your injuries... get the compensation you deserve! lol
Old 08-15-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

i hope its not state farm my agent told me to keep all my reciepts for the parts i put on it and they would pay for them if somthing happend.well about 6 months ago i went out of town on business and rented a car from a dealer,got a call and someone had vandilized my car.long story short they totaled my 97z 30th anniv.and didnt pay me i cent for any extra parts and i faxed them over 6000. in reciepts.**** STATE FARM THOSE LYIN BITCHES.

Last edited by 30th6; 08-15-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

We Needs Pics!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

if thy try to screw you . dont be a little girl.. SUE THEM
Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I feel for you. The same exact thing happened to my 94 TA about 8 years ago, except it was a grandma. I got out of the car wanting to punch the person, but my conscience got the better of me when I saw it was an old lady. It actually still irks me to this day and I don't even have the car anymore. Btw, they surprisingly did not total the car.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Well owning a bodyshop and resto shop myself and my fiance is an insurance adjustor licensed in the state of Texas. I can tell you that if you have any spare change sitting around, I would get a licensed appraiser in your state to give you a certified appraisal for the car. Once you have done that, get a copy of your policy for Nationwide if you can with the added "custom parts and equipment" added to the policy that you recently changed. I know this is hard but have "a little" patience. Give the opportunity of the other insurance company to evaluate the damages. If what they present does not seem satisfactory to you then present to the adjustor the certified appraisal, your insurance policy where "custom parts and equip." was added and all of your receipts. If that does not sway their decision than, follow up with your state board of insurance and file a formal complaint. I would not involve an attorney until it is the last resort. He or she will take approximately 33% of your claim. You can also recover triple damages on your medical bills that you accumulate. That may help you recover some of the monetary loss of your damages. Good luck and if you need any advice please don't hesitate to contact me.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allpro
Well owning a bodyshop and resto shop myself and my fiance is an insurance adjustor licensed in the state of Texas. I can tell you that if you have any spare change sitting around, I would get a licensed appraiser in your state to give you a certified appraisal for the car. Once you have done that, get a copy of your policy for Nationwide if you can with the added "custom parts and equipment" added to the policy that you recently changed. I know this is hard but have "a little" patience. Give the opportunity of the other insurance company to evaluate the damages. If what they present does not seem satisfactory to you then present to the adjustor the certified appraisal, your insurance policy where "custom parts and equip." was added and all of your receipts. If that does not sway their decision than, follow up with your state board of insurance and file a formal complaint. I would not involve an attorney until it is the last resort. He or she will take approximately 33% of your claim. You can also recover triple damages on your medical bills that you accumulate. That may help you recover some of the monetary loss of your damages. Good luck and if you need any advice please don't hesitate to contact me.
Thanks man, I will probably get it appraised. I have about 5-6 k worth of mods, plus new wheels/tires, big brake kit, etc. I'm not going to jump at the first number they offer, because it will probably be way too low. I know worst case Nationwide will probably pick up the difference of what the car is worth, but I am not goi9ng to bend over here. The accident wasn't my fault, the crazy old man is senile, and my passenger and I are in some pretty decent pain, not to mention the pain and suffering of my pride and joy being smashed into pieces lol.

As far as pics goes, on my way to take them in an hour
Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Any pics yet, sorry to hear about this, what a bummer.....any word from the insurance co. and have you thought about what you're gonna do?

Quick Reply: Car was just rear ended tonight...what to do. THE DAY AFTER THE CAM INSTALL!!!!!