General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I Suck At Working On My Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having 5 mechanics in your apartment complex helps
but yeah, x2 on reading a write up (with pics). Having the right tools makes a huge difference too. If I find i'm doubling up on the amount of time it takes to do a step i'll usually have one of my buddies come take a look. The worst it could cost me is a few beers, why not ask a pro.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

I did my first one back in 99. I learned my lesson. When I had to do it again on two different cars, it was easy. I called a guy and had it done in under an hour for $140.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

shbox has lots of great pic/diagrams/etc....
lots of know how here too....

don't get down, first time is always the toughest....have patience, plan ahead and take your time....whatever you do....then you'll have the pride of doing it yourself AND know who to cuss when it goes wrong...

had to replace my drivers side last week....pulled the panel and as expected ti was 'pre-drilled'... a piece of cake i thought....wrong....someone before me overtightened the screws and they were all stripped.....so, mini vice-grips on the back to hold the nuts and drilled out the screws....i always use 1/4" to replace so i drill out the motor holes for this and use lock washers....ran a pen magnet over everything, cleaned it all up really well (hope it's a while before i go back in there) replace panel and alls well...BTW...o'reilly's honors their lifetime warranty....got my new sitting on the shelf when (not if) the next one goes out....!!!!

my power steering pump cooler popped a pinhole (bypassed it now) or something several days ago (had radiator fluid in my pump and power steering fluid in my cooling system) so i had to change all my hoses and flush fluids out last week....did the cooling fluid 2 x's and still have a few oil droplets showing up,
still siphoning and replacing pwr steering fluid but it's getting clearer, it'll eventually all work out of the rack i hope ....sometimes stuff just takes time....i mean, i've got nearly 130k on the clock, things just go wear out....

keep ya' chin up and keep working !!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will do plugs/ wires over a freakin window motor any damn day of the week..my arms/hands dont fit in the door panel areas...so fk that noise..you want hard to do? try dropping your T56 by YOURSELF to replace a leaky REARMAIN seal, then re install BY YOURSELF...thats a severe PITA..but being kinda new up here w/ no car guys to help is a big PITA...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do..and i REFUSE to pay somebody $80 an hr to do what i can do my damn self..
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr CHI
I started a window motor replacement job on my car last saturday and after 3 hours of working on it I called it quits.

Tried to work on it throughout the week and screwed up my wiring and lost all kinds of screws.

Went out there today at 2:30 and I'm just now getting in the house. The new motor is in but it works like sh*t, there is a hand mirror still inside the door( I forgot to take the damn thing out) my door is all screwed up because some of the plastic tabs broke, and I'm missing 3 screws in vital places. I also broke 3 drill bits trying to get the rivets out.

I'm taking this goddamn thing to the body shop and letting them deal with it. I'm fed up with tearing up sh*t because I suck at it.

/rant
I laughed so hard reading this.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
me too, it literally takes me longer to get the panels off and on than it does to swap the window motor.

u want a bitch *** hard job on a fbody, try replacing the opti spark for the first time with all the wrong tools. once you get good at swapping optis, everything else is pretty much cake.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sharpe
My anguish should not be your entertainment!

Although in Southern IL, I don't know if there's much else to entertain you. guys.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

i dont think it's that big of a deal for a window motor; i replaced one in my old V6 camaro; plugs/wire however...... blah!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
] just wait til you need plugs and wires

I just did my plugs and wires, total time was about 2 hours...first time on an LS-1 Too.....not that bad if you have ever done plugs and wires though. Number 8 we had to jack up the car and go from underneath...but ya...it could have been worse.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Give me the plugs and wires over a window motor any day, especially on a longtube car.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

don't see how yall are having all these long hours doing these simple things. I've done almost everything on my car by myself. literally by my self.