General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

If my car was only a 1/2" taller...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If my car was only a 1/2" taller...

then I would be able to back it up my ramps.

damn lowering kit!!

So it looks like I need to buy a good floor jack...so what do you all recommend??
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Get a craftsman or something not to expensive... An some nice jack stands... Jack stands are all you need to really worry about... Your not gonna get under the car on a floor jack anyways! Are you? lol
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what about using pieces of 2x4 right before the ramp, to slowly raise it,then it'll clear the ramp
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAtoad
what about using pieces of 2x4 right before the ramp, to slowly raise it,then it'll clear the ramp
Indeed!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Teching In

I tried that...it's hard to keep them steady though
Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EvilSVT
Get a craftsman or something not to expensive... An some nice jack stands... Jack stands are all you need to really worry about... Your not gonna get under the car on a floor jack anyways! Are you? lol
hell no, not without some sort of redudancy. I wouldn't trust my life under a jack. I need at least a 2 1/2 ton jack and some jack stands. Would sears be a good place to start looking?
Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by EvilSVT
Get a craftsman.....
Originally Posted by at1024
...Would sears be a good place to start looking?
....uh yes. I have a Sears Craftsman aluminum 3 wheel low jack, been perfect for years (knock on wood lol). Not too expensive either, around $125 I want to say.

~ Craig
Old 08-20-2009, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by at1024
hell no, not without some sort of redudancy. I wouldn't trust my life under a jack. I need at least a 2 1/2 ton jack and some jack stands. Would sears be a good place to start looking?
Sears makes Craftsman...
Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

I just bought one for my dad at Costco. 2.5 Ton and very low profile. I beleive it was $80 with jack stands. Make sure you get one that is low enough. My Craftsman pro floor jack will not get under my Saturn Sky Redline. I'll be using pop's next oil change.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Sears makes Craftsman...
I think he knows that and that is why he redundantly asked if that was a good place to start looking.

Although I could be giving him to much credit!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i see you're from new braunfels, what about taking a trip down to SA and checking out harbor freight
Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

i also say harbour freight they have a light weight aluminum 3 ton for like 80 bucks.
or i got my gm performance parts jack at walmart for 80 bucks but its heave as **** and i dont know if it would be low enough it not on my car(im also lowered with hypercoil springs)
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
I think he knows that and that is why he redundantly asked if that was a good place to start looking.

Although I could be giving him to much credit!
Yeah I knew that...I was just wondering if sears exclusively sells their products, or if I can look elsewhere.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Teching In

i see you're from new braunfels, what about taking a trip down to SA and checking out harbor freight
that sounds like a good idea, I'd forgotten about that place.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shaun
i also say harbour freight they have a light weight aluminum 3 ton for like 80 bucks.
or i got my gm performance parts jack at walmart for 80 bucks but its heave as **** and i dont know if it would be low enough it not on my car(im also lowered with hypercoil springs)
ive got the same one with the little led light but wal-mart messed up on the price thing when i got mine and i got it for 25 bucks!!

to the op i would check out harbor frieght they have good **** at good prices
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAGER
....uh yes. I have a Sears Craftsman aluminum 3 wheel low jack, been perfect for years (knock on wood lol). Not too expensive either, around $125 I want to say.

~ Craig
I'm glad you've had better luck with your Craftsman Jack than I have.

Last Summer I had a $150 Gift Card to spend at Sears and wanted a nice jack to use in the shop. I used every bit of it to get a Craftsman 4 Ton Low Profile. I figured Low Profile for the cars, and 4 Ton would be heavy duty enough for even my bro's 06 Duramax. Took it outta the box and put it together with no problem. Tried it on my 99 Sonoma and it did the job, but I noticed just a little bit of fluid on the shop floor once I pulled the jack out. Not a big deal. I'm sure the seals are new and maybe dry from sitting in the box on the shelf. Well through the next dozen uses, the leak doesn't cure itself, and actually starts to leave a bigger and bigger puddle. Okay, I'm not happy, so I take it back and exchange it. Right outta the box the new one leaks. And the same thing happens. It gets worse and worse. I more than few times add more fluid in the hope that the thing comes out of it. No luck. I decide I'll take this one back and hope that third times a charm. I call up Sears to see if they have one in stock, and they tell me this Jack is now discontinued. So I can't exchange it. So I decide to call the customer service number in the owners manual to see what can be done. I talk to them and they say, there has been alot of trouble with the seals in the rams going bad. They ask for a copy of my Original Receipt by email and they'll get a ram out to me ASAP. I send them the copy and get no reply. I wait like a month and still nothing. Finally I get tired of waiting and figure even if I do get a new ram, whats to stop it from ending up a leaky POS as well? So I simply return the Jack for store credit. And thats where I'm at as of now. I'm still searching for a high quality replacement. I've done multiple searches online, checked out reviews, and testimonials and I believe yours is the first good review of ANY Craftsman Jack out there. Like I said, I'm glad yours has worked well for you and I hope it continues to do so, but the experience I've had with them hasn't been pleasant. To the O.P. you will definitely want to do some looking around before you buy the first jack you see. I hope this little story hasn't bored all of you. I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread to see what you decide on. That way I can take a look at it and maybe get the same one. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Same F-ing problem I have. I drive up on 2 by 4's for my oil change ramps. But I cant get in my flat bed trailer with out scraping now.I am either going to have to get a longer dove tail or I am going to ditch the lowering kit (eibach pro kit) and go back to stock.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

On our racing trailer we have to jack up the front of the trailer to get the cars out the back. This lowers the back door to a point that we can get the cars in and out without dragging a nose. We leave the trailer hitched to the truck and run the ram all the way down on the tongue of the trailer. It makes the truck look like it has about 4-6" of lift only on the back.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91RS383
On our racing trailer we have to jack up the front of the trailer to get the cars out the back. This lowers the back door to a point that we can get the cars in and out without dragging a nose. We leave the trailer hitched to the truck and run the ram all the way down on the tongue of the trailer. It makes the truck look like it has about 4-6" of lift only on the back.
I do the same on my trailer too!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

1/2" sounds about right! I just ran into this same problem But the ol 2x4 trick worked My craftsman 3 ton is a little too high