General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 to an EVO???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The room of the 4 door is another option that draws me to the evo. Im gonna take your addvice and schedual a test drive to make sure i'll even like having one. I already know that ill hate the "ricer" stereo trype, but I can shut ppl up when I go blowing by them
Old 08-30-2009, 12:56 PM

You won't be disappointed in the evo. What year are you looking to get? Have you given any thought to check out an sti?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
You won't be disappointed in the evo. What year are you looking to get? Have you given any thought to check out an sti?
Im lookin at the 03-06 range....would love to have a new one but I cant afford 30K. I haven't really looked into an STI. Are they similar to an evo. turbo, awd, hopefully cheaper priced? lol
Old 08-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bainter06
Im lookin at the 03-06 range....would love to have a new one but I cant afford 30K. I haven't really looked into an STI. Are they similar to an evo. turbo, awd, hopefully cheaper priced? lol

Im stupid. I forgot a sti was a subaru. they seem like nice cars. Kinda more drawn to the looks of an evo though.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Teching In

anyone have looking to trade an evo for a mint 01 ram air firebird with 50k miles?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 PM

I'll keep my eye out. If I find anything nice, I'll pass on the info to ya!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They suck for mpg.. they have 5 gears, not 6 like fbodys and sti's If you want a evo type car get a sti.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

I've had my f body for about 2 years now. I love the car, the power, and its looks. I was just considering the evo for the awd. IL get a fair amount of snow. I also seen a episode on tv where they compared a stock evo to a stock lambo. and the evo was right on the lambo's *** on a track. just seems like they hold their value really well and you can invest a small amount of money to make them even faster than they already are. the mpg is a plus too
you must have seen that episode of top gear where they did a normal murcielago vs an evo fq400. wayy different on both accounts. we dont get that evo & i dont think youll run into too many lamobs, esp non-lp640's these days.

personally, id never get an EVO just because they sound like very other ricer. STi's on the other hand sound pretty cool with that boxer engine. i know the EVO responds better to mods, but its probably close enough that you wont care. AWD + 4 doors if you need them is a great choice for a winter beater/DD. would i sell your fbod for one? i dont know. maybe consider getting a cheap FWD POS for a winter beater. in the end, its up to you. i highly suggest that test drive too.

edit: woohoo! 1,000 posts! im a fanatic now
Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT GET AN EVO X.

Weak and over priced.
Get a IX.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
DO NOT GET AN EVO X.

Weak and over priced.
Get a IX.
whats an IX?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

I've herd the Evo's need ALOT of regular maintenace and occasional engine rebuilds, as they are pushing out too much power in stock form. = Expensive upkeep......
Hell of a fun though, and so easy to drive, even my nan could drive one round a corner sideways!!

Would I sell my f body for 1 ?? NO!
But even if you do, you'll love it.
Your choice, and enjoy the test drive

LS1 INTO the Evo FTW
Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 PM

whats an IX?
You might want to do some research on evo's before you buy one because you not knowing the X or IX means you don't know the different generations/years.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

If it is something you think you'd like to play with I say go for it. Evo's are basically affordable super cars. I know of one locally that would put at least bus length on every poster in this thread, they are no joke. Close to 700WHP and it putts around and sounds completely stock. I've considered getting one as a toy in addition, but I don't have the funds right now.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

whats an IX?
Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
You might want to do some research on evo's before you buy one because you not knowing the X or IX means you don't know the different generations/years.
mustang is right. you need to brush up on your basic EVO knowledge. they are numbered in generations by roman numerals. X is 10, IX is 9, VIII is 8. i wouldnt be considering anything past those. go to an evo site or just some stuff about EVOs so you know what you are getting into.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Do some research, and know what your looking at before jumping out of a GREAT car, and into some rice crap!!! Sorry, I hate Evos. I have had to replace clutch after clutch in my buddies car, constant issues, and to top that off, its SLOW, O yeah, I can leave hard in AWD, that is great... but my V8 with bolt ons will pull the PSI right out that turbo all day..

If it was just for an AWD, yeah, lookin into a STI, or WRX, if you dont want to price tag, but they are just built better IMO, and they have all the same basics your talking about.. Or keep your car, get a truck or jeep, and put an end to this HUGE wing, neon light crap!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by taws6
I've herd the Evo's need ALOT of regular maintenace and occasional engine rebuilds, as they are pushing out too much power in stock form. = Expensive upkeep......
Hell of a fun though, and so easy to drive, even my nan could drive one round a corner sideways!!
LS1 INTO the Evo FTW
Couldnt be more wrong, the 4g63T is probable one of the best import engines out there for boost. They just have a bad wrap b/c they were in the eclipses and kids picked them up and turned the boost up and didnt know what they were doing. Overall if done right they can make good power with reliability
Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had a cocky friend with an '04 evo... I put him in his place... to the point of him selling it a week later

Yea, go for it man, its your money, u da boss
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Not sure what your budget is, but on evolutionm.com they have some of the fastest and best built evo's in the nation for sale right now.

Names like Buschur, AMS, AWDmotorsports may not mean much to most, but are Gods in the 4g63 world.....Buschur especially!!!

Multiple fully built well known cars 9.80@146 race gas 10.1@140 on pump gas cars for 30K. Mid 10@131 cars fro 22-24K.

I would highly recommend buying one already built by a premier shop before buying off of a lot!!

Good luck they are unreal in many ways if you can get over the stereotype and just enjoy the ride!!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Pulled from a facts and figures website:
It can munch expensive super sticky tyres in under 5000 miles, needs servicing every 4500 miles, runs on super unleaded fuel and sits in the most expensive insurance category. You'll probably also want to take it to the race track, and only 16 MPG.
Sounds expensive to me....

But if you're looking at performace cars, nothings cheap.

Rember, you can only ever get two of these three in a car:
Reliable , fast , cheap
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00delbz
STi....but i would stick with the f-bod just my .02
Yup. I've driven both the Evo and STI. The STI is by far the most impressive vehicle that I've ever driven. While it was very quick, the handling was what really impressed me. :2cents: I would think long and hard before I made that change though.