General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 to an EVO???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sti- 6 gears, good mpg, very comfortable to sit in compared to evo, build quality is MUCH better, fast + has a fuckload of mods just like any popular car, and sounds awesome.

Evo- 5 gears, bad mpg, very uncomfortable since its more of a squished in area, build quality is cheap crap with everything being plasticy.. yes worse then a fbody LOL, fast and does have a fuckload of mods just like the rest and the sti, sounds like crap, maintenance on these cars is a MUST.. they don't last long without doing major work to them.

That should narrow it down for you, if you have to go to a car like a evo.. go with a sti, I've driven both of them also and love the sti compared to a evo!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have to go to a car like a evo.. go with a sti, I've driven both of them also
I'll 3rd that.
The Evo looks better IMO, but if I had to chose between STI and EVO, I'd buy the scoobie, cheaper, just as fast and handles great too.
Very nearly replaced my DD for a WRX, but got a cheaper beater instead.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

brother has an eclipse gsx, awd... thing is fast as **** after i built it for him, low 10s from 4 cylanders in that little car is crazy... the eclipse gsx is basicly the poormans evo.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a local EVO:

And a local STi (pics don't do it justice):

Both are pretty sick.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

I def. like the looks of the inside of the sti compared to an evo. Man this is a hard choice. I got a feeling im gonna be kickin my own *** for selling my bird
Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Real quick.........STI'S ARE NOT CLOSE TO EVO IN 1/4 CAPABILTY, PERFORMANCE PER $$$$, RELIABILITY,

They do look better inside and out, but once you hit 400whp you can start saving your pennies because the shortblock and gearbox don't like going much higher than that.

On a roadcourse they are equals!! Both totally awesome!! low 10 second EVO are dime a doze and easily replicated this is not the case with the STI.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jasil
Real quick.........STI'S ARE NOT CLOSE TO EVO IN 1/4 CAPABILTY, PERFORMANCE PER $$$$, RELIABILITY,

They do look better inside and out, but once you hit 400whp you can start saving your pennies because the shortblock and gearbox don't like going much higher than that.

On a roadcourse they are equals!! Both totally awesome!! low 10 second EVO are dime a doze and easily replicated this is not the case with the STI.

Made your choice yet? If not I would suggest disregarding what pretty much everyone in this thread has said except jasil. I agree with everything he has said except them being equal on a road course. they arent. The evo mod for mod will destroy a sti on track mod for mod. I had the pleasure of helping campaign a evo in redline time attack as well as nasa time trials, and mod for mod, as well as dollar for dollar a sti is at a rather large disadvantage. The 4G63 is iconic for a reason. Very stout setup thats not very hard to maintain at all.I would assume that since DSM's were made so crappy its reflected negatively on the evo and the 4g63 in general but I have never seen a car with so many misconceptions before. Im surprised I havent heard anyone say how weak the transmissions are, even though they are not. Thtas one that seems to go around. Just like the gas mileage thing. Its all about the tune. Get a quality tuner and your car will run great, get great gas mileage and live a long time.

It is however a drivers car, not a car owners car. The driving experience is very rewarding and the car is far more capable then most really understand when its setup properly. People will hate on you, and youll hear a lot of false information from people that really have no idea. Its frustrating but when people take everything they hear at face value its somewhat expected.

The evo isnt for everyone, and the sti can very well be a better car for many no doubt about it, however if your a performance car enthusiast and consider yourself someone who is looking for a great driving experience, then the evo is without a doubt a better car. Far better motor as for durability capable of more power etc, needs less suspension mods to tighten things up, and a far better steering response thanks to a quicker steering ratio. It can also candle a much larger tire which is nice. I own a evo and almost bought a sti untill I started researching in depth what the evo was really capable of and theres really not much of a comparison really. When you have series like the redline time attack series, nasa time trials that are completely dominated by evo's at a consumer level, and then you look at drag racing where you have guys like Buscher running 9.0@156mph in a full interior street car, and Mike@AWD running 8.9's at over 150mph with full interior, MellonTuning running low 10's and making over 700whp out of the stock ecu and maf etc its a huge testament to what they can do. All on a 2.0L motor.(motors are far cheaper to build as well.)