General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Camaro SS or TA WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

LOL!! okay wiseasses
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69camaross
You're joking right? Your 2000 Camaro uses the 95-02 Firebird steering wheel only with a different airbag cover.
Not sure about that bullshit, but I drove this dudes 2000 Firehawk and it had the steering wheel I was referring to. I didnt think they had their own steering wheel, so I figured they shared them with the regular T/A's, etc.

This was a while back, but im pretty sure there wasnt anything wrong with the steering wheel...it was just uncomfortable for me to drive with.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Teching In

So should I worry about mileage? I mean, obviously the lower the miles the better... But how many miles is too many miles to start doing internal mods, cam, etc... ?

Last edited by 99-6er; 09-23-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Name:  hpp10.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  91.6 KB

OR

Name:  _MG_2792.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  36.3 KB

Cant go wrong either way. These two pictures I took from other members on LS1tech.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99-6er
So should I worry about mileage? I mean, obviously the lower the miles the better... But how many miles is too many miles to start doing internal mods, cam, etc... ?
Just like with any car, it's about maintenance.

My 80 000 mile WS6 is in much better shape then a lot of my friends cars that are half the age/miles.
What I usually look for with these cars is:

Body that's in great shape
Interior that is in great shape
Maintenance records
Unmodified cars

Keep in mind it's easier to change a water pump then get a paint job... I usually put mechanical problems as secondary to body work.

Nothing wrong with modded cars, but a car that has had nothing done to it is more likely owned by someone who didn't bag on it as much...
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car has 128k and i bought it with 125k and it was a 1owner old dude with all the service records, the car runs just as hard as any other and is cherrrrrrrry...but that could be because it was totalled and i completely rebuilt it haha...
Old 09-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Launching!

WS6 all the way man.. and this is coming from someone who owns a camaro z28. i love love my car and think it looks badass, but the ws6 is just hard to top and is the car i originally wanted but i couldn't pass up on the deal i got my car, i guess i sorta "settled" for the camaro, but hey you can't go wrong with either!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

i'd say camaro... the fact that i have an 01 SS probably plays into that a bit though, hehe.

camaro to me looks a bit classier, kinda says.. i'm gonna chill until you start something with me, then it's on.
TA/ws6 is out looking for fights. as the other signature said earlier.

the only other thing that i can say though. camaros don't have headlight motors to break.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted a T/A mostly because of the looks but people around me thought that since pontiac went out their high mileage t/a was worth a first borne child so in the end I found a z28 for a price I couldnt pass up. They're both great cars the t/a just says im gonna kick your *** though lol.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by IRONFIST

My 80 000 mile WS6 is in much better shape then a lot of my friends cars that are half the age/miles.

Maintenance records
Unmodified cars

Keep in mind it's easier to change a water pump then get a paint job... I usually put mechanical problems as secondary to body work.

Nothing wrong with modded cars, but a car that has had nothing done to it is more likely owned by someone who didn't bag on it as much...
Very well stated!
You will love either car. I chose the base T/A because of the hidden headlights and smooth nose. I am in the minority however as just about everyone else seems to like the WS6 look or has added the WS6 hood onto their base T/A. An LS1 is an LS1 no matter what so choose whatever YOU like. I did and many admirers look at my ride. They will at yours too. Some negatives about T/A ownership are the potential for cracked door panels and headlight motors (or gears). For me it was worth the potential problems but the door panels are very expensive (dealer price $500+) if you ever need to replace one. Good luck in your search!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IRONFIST

Maintenance records
Unmodified cars

Excellent advice.

Especially stay away from a car from areas where the roads are salted. You can buy a car from these areas, but you must ensure they were not winter driven. Most ads claim the car is stored in winter, but what they are really saying is that the first owner drove it daily in Detroit from 1999-2003, and since this second guy owned it he has stored it in the winter. Rustbucket. You have to be extra carefull with F-bodies because most of the panels are plastic. The condition of the rear 1/4's will tell the tale, as well as the upper shock mounts under the hood.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

WS6 or SS?? it depends if you want to be really sexy, or really really really sexy
Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Its funny op. I was in the same position as you just a month ago. I have a v6 firebird that ive owed for 3 years and finally wanted to get the LS1. I wanted a T/A WS6 but realized, I could get a lower miles camaro for less money then the T/A.

Its true, The firebird has a nicer interior and yes, the seats are more comfortable and the camaros are flat with no bolsters. The T/A looks way sexier, rides better (because of the smaller steering wheel) and the camaro looks cheap, the T/A doesn't.

But Damn do I love my z28!!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JackArse32
i'd say camaro... the fact that i have an 01 SS probably plays into that a bit though, hehe.

camaro to me looks a bit classier, kinda says.. i'm gonna chill until you start something with me, then it's on.
TA/ws6 is out looking for fights. as the other signature said earlier.

the only other thing that i can say though. camaros don't have headlight motors to break.
This is true but you wont see a T/A with ugly yellowish oxidized headlights either
I had to do the headlight gear fix to the passenger side motor only 2 years ago for 45 bucks and its still goin strong, on the other hand dont know what it would cost to replace oxidized camaro headlights every 3-4 yrs

Oh and BTW my door panels haven't cracked yet on my 01 with 120k miles...
Old 09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Excellent advice.

Especially stay away from a car from areas where the roads are salted. You can buy a car from these areas, but you must ensure they were not winter driven. Most ads claim the car is stored in winter, but what they are really saying is that the first owner drove it daily in Detroit from 1999-2003, and since this second guy owned it he has stored it in the winter. Rustbucket. You have to be extra carefull with F-bodies because most of the panels are plastic. The condition of the rear 1/4's will tell the tale, as well as the upper shock mounts under the hood.
haha very true. then again you could have one like mine in northern indiana that was driven in hawaii and florida and arizona until 2007 and then stored in winter when i came back here to indiana. and it wasn't a beach buggy. they lived a good 20 miles away from the ocean in FL. i was just under mine yesterday and the only rust i found was on the brake rotors.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

aye, but you can wax/buff the headlights and it won't be an issue.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and as for the T/A VS Camaro argument...

j/k
Old 09-26-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

black ss m6 FTW!

disclaimer: lumbar supports not inluded
Old 09-27-2009, 01:08 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Neither. I say a Formula WS6...
Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 AM