General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Camaro SS or TA WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Camaro SS or TA WS6?

Alright guys, Need a few opinions here. I am looking to purchase my second FBody and I can’t choose between a 98-02 Camaro SS or Trans Am WS6 . I currently own a 99 Firebird which has been great to me for the past 6 years and I am in need of a little more "excitement".. Need some opinions on which is better quality wise and why? Also looking for some typical problems that people have run into. Again, just looking for some opinions, anything is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching!

I dont think your going to find a better quality from a Firebird to a WS6.. A few more options but overall pretty much the same car. Assuming yours is a V8.

Might want to say what your budget is along with the plans for the car. Either way though both are nice cars and will put a smile on your face
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on your preference. The performance, reliability and maintenance issues are practically the same with both vehicles. I prefer the Camaro SS, that's why I bought one. I like the WS6 but I just see so many of them where i'm at, it wouldn't have seemed as special to me if I had bought a WS6. I know in my area, SS's are far and few between, TA's are everywhere. Plus i've always had camaro's so it was an easy choice for me.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say an SS, lol.

I like the WS6 styling, but I like to drive with one hand on the top of the steering wheel. The Firebird / T/A steering wheel is really small circumfrence (sp?) and I hated it.

As far as quality wise, the only bad things I hear about T/A's is the door panels cracking towards the top as its plastic and the Camaro's arent plastic in that spot.

My opinion.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would perfer the WS6.... just better looking, IMO.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chadlee2KZ
I dont think your going to find a better quality from a Firebird to a WS6.. A few more options but overall pretty much the same car. Assuming yours is a V8.

Might want to say what your budget is along with the plans for the car. Either way though both are nice cars and will put a smile on your face
The Firebird I have is actually a V6, Now... she has some little ***** for a V6 but I guess I never realized the power and potential of the LS1's until my buddy got a 02 SS and it pushed my stomach into my throat . As far as the plans for the car, I am hoping to get it into the high 11's while still being able to depend on it as a DD.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I would perfer the WS6.... just better looking, IMO.
I think I’m kind of leaning the same way, but when I see the Maros all decked out with TT2's, 3" Hoods and a awesome looking stance... I start leaning towards them.. lol I guess this is why I'm just needing some opinions from everyone to see if theres anything out there to sell me on one or the other.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

its all preferance!! definitely cant beat the look of either car. the SS just has that nice clean sleek look. but the WS6 just looks so damn mean. so its all in what you want. i personally would go with a WS6 just cuz they probably wont make any more of those cars, but i just hate the flip up headlights.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

before i bought my trans am i was in a similar situation as you. i really wanted a fox body mustang because they were light and easy to modify or an FBod. It really ended up coming down to which one i got the best deal on. i looked at multiple 5.0s and camaros and any that were in my price range were either beaten silly or rusted out. but one day driving out in the middle of nowhere and i come by a 94 TA in great shape that i couldnt pass up.
so basicly look for both and jump on what u think is a good deal
Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

both are great cars but keep in mind if you go with true dual dumped exhaust then the camaro with give a cleaner look and which ever one you go with get an 01-02 cause of all the upgrades they have
Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

ps go with a m6 car too
Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98 z28 mullins
ps go with a m6 car too
HA! Unless you want to be as quick as possible.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98 z28 mullins
both are great cars but keep in mind if you go with true dual dumped exhaust then the camaro with give a cleaner look and which ever one you go with get an 01-02 cause of all the upgrades they have
True, an M6 would be a plus but i've also driven a Stalled and camed auto which gave about as much punch as the M6 did... so at this point I really have no preference over an M6 or auto.

I'm looking to stay within an $8-$10k price range and everything i've found so far is decent, but has either been sprayed on or has high miles. Trying to keep it under 60-70k miles but it seems like that may be impossible.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is paraphrased but it used to be in a guys sig on here..."A Camaro looks looks it could kick your ***.. a Trans Am looks like it is coming over to do it...."
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
This is paraphrased but it used to be in a guys sig on here..."A Camaro looks looks it could kick your ***.. a Trans Am looks like it is coming over to do it...."
I've seen that before, gotta love it
Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Launching!

It's all a matter of preference. Personally, I don't like the looks of the Firebird/ T/A. If you're going to get down into details in terms of which gears came with which transmission, I guess that might impact your decision (I never cared to look into it).

I just picked up my SS. I did a lot of research ahead of my purchase and have nothing but good things to say about the car. Regardless of whether or not people will admit it here...people (the general public) do look at an SS differently than other f-bodys.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

If I were to do it again or to buy another F-body, I'd definately get a T/A. I find the dash/interior a slight bit better asthetically than the Camaro. It really all comes down to which style you like better, the TA might be slightly heavier than the SS I believe, but not by much
Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of my fav parts of my T/A is the front bucket seats that pinch you in with the push of a button. I'm not sure, do the camaro's come with that too? I thought I heard someone saying the camaro seats are just flat and when you do hard turns it feels like you are gonna fly out of the seat.

Other than some cosmetic stuff they are basically the same car. Just look at each one in person, and pick the one that makes you say "Wow"
Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
I say an SS, lol.

I like the WS6 styling, but I like to drive with one hand on the top of the steering wheel. The Firebird / T/A steering wheel is really small circumfrence (sp?) and I hated it.

You're joking right? Your 2000 Camaro uses the 95-02 Firebird steering wheel only with a different airbag cover.

For me the Camaro doesn't look as dated as the Firebird. The firebird's interior screams 1993 GM plastic where as the Camaro was at least updated in 1997 so it matches the later cars a little better. The 98-02 firebird headlights look like GM tried as SLP did, to make fixed headlights work but gave up at the last minute and threw something together rigging up the C5s flip up head lights with a giant ugly top cover. The front end bubbles up too much and doesn't match the 93-97 styling on the car that exists from the doors back. Makes the car look heavier than it really is. The 93-97 nose flowed a lot better with the overall design of the car.

My opinion and why I own an LS1 Camaro and owned an LT1 Firehawk.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
One of my fav parts of my T/A is the front bucket seats that pinch you in with the push of a button. I'm not sure, do the camaro's come with that too? I thought I heard someone saying the camaro seats are just flat and when you do hard turns it feels like you are gonna fly out of the seat.

Other than some cosmetic stuff they are basically the same car. Just look at each one in person, and pick the one that makes you say "Wow"
I appreciate this! this is the little things I’m looking for that make people just go "ehhhhh, I don’t really like this". Thanks for the info man!! It may not seem like much, but these little problems will prolly drive me insane in the long run. Also, The Camaro's don’t come with headrests do they? I know my buddies doesn’t, are they all like that?

Quick Reply: Camaro SS or TA WS6?