General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tips on storing your F-Body for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skopers3
Three years ago I put my car away for the winter. Five months later when I got it out I noticed a weird rattle when you closed the passenger door so I pulled the panel off to investigate. A mouse must have found a way into my door panel, because when I took it off about 50 kernels of corn fell out. Gotta love Nebraska Winters!

Not a tip, but I felt like sharing that.
Crazy corn husker mice!!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by araber89
UNIT!!!! Your poor cars!! You always forget to open the garage door before storage?!!?
Damn it! I knew I forgot something.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storage tips

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when shocks are static, either compressed, or released, there is no difference in pressure. The pressure occurs while the shock is moving. Hence dampening. Oh, and most shocks I've installed come in a box with the shock in full compression to minimize storage area. I've also rebuilt shocks too. Most people raise up a car or snowmobile or bike to keep some wt. off the springs and help to prolong the life of the springs.
It is not the shocks that are as important (really at all) it is the springs. leaving springs Un-sprung can do damage. Not as important to people on this site, but leaving unspring leaf springs is bad as well, leaving unsprung fiberglass springs is the worst of all. Un-sprung fiberglass springs that have sat for a while (not new ones in boxes but ones that have been cycled) will typically break upon having weight put back on them.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Here's what I do to prepare my cars for winter storage:

- Pull car into the garage.
- Turn off key.
- Close car door.
- Lock car.
- Close garage door.
If I had a clean garage then I would say I do the exact same. Instead I gotta settle for a cover...
Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

i just pull it in the garage and put a lil stabil in the tank. i start it once in awhile just cause i miss the sound and i think its good to get it hot and get all the fluids moving. this will be my fourth winter storing the car with no problems with flat spotting or anything of that nature. always starts right up on the first revolution and i leave my battery connected. the worst problem i had was i found a small wasp nest hanging from the door hinge, i dont know how or why but it was a surprise!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ziembic
It is not the shocks that are as important (really at all) it is the springs. leaving springs Un-sprung can do damage. Not as important to people on this site, but leaving unspring leaf springs is bad as well, leaving unsprung fiberglass springs is the worst of all. Un-sprung fiberglass springs that have sat for a while (not new ones in boxes but ones that have been cycled) will typically break upon having weight put back on them.

Never heard of such a thing. I need to do some research on this topic.
Do you have any metalurgical information to back this statement up?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

For those that have a mice problem all you need to do is take some IRISH SPRING hand soap and slice some off and your good to go. They hate the smell of soap. Wherever there is a field there are mice.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 AM
Staging Lane

ok so i just changed my oil about 1000 miles ago would i rilly need to change it again?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M6-LSONE
ok so i just changed my oil about 1000 miles ago would i rilly need to change it again?
no ive never changed mine before storage, and never had a problem, i dont do anything special. 120k miles and it still runs great every spring!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by M6-LSONE
Depends on how OCD you are about your car, I suppose. I stored my old '01 SS in a storage unit for a 7 month deployment without any real preparation. Came back and nothing wrong but a dead battery.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put downy pads in my car. The static clings that you throw in the dryer with your clothes. They keep out the mice, and they make your car smell good in the spring.

Quick Reply: Tips on storing your F-Body for the winter