General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tips on storing your F-Body for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips on storing your F-Body for the winter

I don't have a garage of my own so what I do is store the car either in a friends garage or in a storage facility.

I was told not to start it, take the battery out, throw some fuel stabilizer in it and call it a day. I was also told by a gentlemen that stores his old cars to put an additional 10psi of air pressure in all of the tires and throw on some styrofoam underneath the tires too.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure you have a full tank of gas and change the oil before storing it. I usually start mine up once a month on a warm day.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a sticky for this already, FYI.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm not sure where the sticky is but I'm doing the same thing this winter. But I'm ganna put it up on blocks, take the rims and battery out, put fuel stablizer in the tank, change the oil and fuel filter, then wrap it in plastic and seal it. Maine winters are harsh though...
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I drive mine almost everyday. Best storage method EVER.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

Thats funny, my car is coming back out in one wk.
Its my DD tho, spun rod 5 months ago
I wash it once, sometimes twice a wk
Keep it clean or go home.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

glad i don't have to worry about this, bein from down south an all =)
Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

I just over air the tires and take the battery out...
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
I'm not sure where the sticky is but I'm doing the same thing this winter. But I'm ganna put it up on blocks, take the rims and battery out, put fuel stablizer in the tank, change the oil and fuel filter, then wrap it in plastic and seal it. Maine winters are harsh though...
you just bought this Z recently on this site right?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be best to put it up on jack stands to avoid flat spots. My camaro sat a long time before I bought it and it had some bad flat spots and would throw you all over the road. Just seems like it would be better not to risk it.

Then again my Trans Am sat 10 years and has tires from 1979 and doesn't have flat spots or anything.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by desertLS1
you just bought this Z recently on this site right?
Yup..
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Ok I would like to argue a few of the previous points made.

1. Jacking it up- Have you ever seen an old car collectors garage with all the car sitting on blocks? No because its not needed. Just over inflate the tires if your that worried about flat spots. And if they happen to flat spot, which I highly doubt they will, ten miles of driving will fix it. Also a "hanging" suspension on a car for five months is really hard on springs and shocks. They are meant to sit compressed.

2. Taking the battery out- False. I say leave it it. Having the battery connected actually leaves a small charge on all the wires which will keep them working and not let the corrode or dry rot as easy. Leave it on. Mine didn't die last winter and it sat for three months without me starting it.

Now just other stuff you should know.

1. Full tank of gas is highly important. Again Fill it all the way up! With say a half tank of gas in to store it what will happen is the temp of the garage will go up and down. This will form condensation and know you have water in your gas tank. Shouldn't be a whole lot but I don't like the idea.

2. Clean it. This is just important. Inside and out. If a mouse smells the french fry you left beside the seat back in august he will want it and he will get it. Ok that is exaggerated but having dirt inside that car can leave it kinda musty sometimes. A can of some kind of moisture absorber inside that car wouldn't hurt it either.

3. Starting it. Ok now this one is on how you feel. If you start it let it sit and warm up 100% and get everything hot. I like to start it because I feel that same as your gas tank condensation could from else where in your motor. so by getting it as hot as possible it can dry it out. However others have the same argument the other way. When you start it it becomes hot then cools and moisture forms. So if you are going to start it do it more then once a month. Also I just like listening to my car Last year I started it the first and the last month of storage and it sat dormant the middle three months. This one is in how you feel.

4. Change the oil. Fresh oil is less likely to sludge up and break down. I would want that in the bottom of my oil pan then start it next spring and suck it through the oil pump. Change the oil. It makes sense. Also winter is a good time to change other fluids if you have a warm garage to do it. Like trans, rear end, clutch, power steering, brake, radiator flush, and any other fluid your car uses. Its up to you how much you want to do. It seems come winter I can't keep my hands off the car.

Ok I'm sure there is other stuff but its two in the morning here so I am going to bed. If I think of more I'll let you know. Happy storing this year. Just mod it while it sits now then you don't have down time next summer.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by araber89
Ok I would like to argue a few of the previous points made...

1. Jacking it up- Have you ever seen an old car collectors garage with all the car sitting on blocks? No because its not needed. Just over inflate the tires if your that worried about flat spots. And if they happen to flat spot, which I highly doubt they will, ten miles of driving will fix it. Also a "hanging" suspension on a car for five months is really hard on springs and shocks. They are meant to sit compressed..

Agreed if your down south. But when you see 1-4 feet of snow at a time. Leaving it on the tires doesn't have to do with flat spots. It has to do with blowing out the suspension. Snow weighs ALOT and when you car is covered in FEET of it for months. Trust me, hanging suspension is better then a blown suspension... Remember, shocks sit in a box for months, years even before being compressed on a car. So once again, blocks are the answer... Not jack stands where your car can tip over.

Also, it rains after it snows sometimes. That weighs down the car even more after the tempature drops to below zero and everything freezes.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when shocks are static, either compressed, or released, there is no difference in pressure. The pressure occurs while the shock is moving. Hence dampening. Oh, and most shocks I've installed come in a box with the shock in full compression to minimize storage area. I've also rebuilt shocks too. Most people raise up a car or snowmobile or bike to keep some wt. off the springs and help to prolong the life of the springs.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I do to prepare my cars for winter storage:

- Pull car into the garage.
- Turn off key.
- Close car door.
- Lock car.
- Close garage door.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im washing the car, throwing some irish spring soap on the floor just incase there are mice in the storage facility(they HATE the smell of this stuff) Throwing some fuel stabilizer, removing the battery and last but not least placing some pink insulation foam board underneath each tire to avoid flat spots.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Striker
throwing some irish spring soap on the floor just incase there are mice in the storage facility(they HATE the smell of this stuff)
What do the Myth Busters guys say about this one ???????????
Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Agreed if your down south. But when you see 1-4 feet of snow at a time. Leaving it on the tires doesn't have to do with flat spots. It has to do with blowing out the suspension. Snow weighs ALOT and when you car is covered in FEET of it for months. Trust me, hanging suspension is better then a blown suspension... Remember, shocks sit in a box for months, years even before being compressed on a car. So once again, blocks are the answer... Not jack stands where your car can tip over.

Also, it rains after it snows sometimes. That weighs down the car even more after the tempature drops to below zero and everything freezes.
First I'm not from down south. NE ohio there chief. Granted we don't get snow like Maine but the car is stored from Nov to Apr.

Now your telling me you allow feet so snow to sit on your car all winter? Just go brush it off.

Besides that doesn't matter this guy is parking it in a garage so... Snow factor is no factor
Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
Here's what I do to prepare my cars for winter storage:

- Pull car into the garage.
- Turn off key.
- Close car door.
- Lock car.
- Close garage door.
UNIT!!!! Your poor cars!! You always forget to open the garage door before storage?!!?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Three years ago I put my car away for the winter. Five months later when I got it out I noticed a weird rattle when you closed the passenger door so I pulled the panel off to investigate. A mouse must have found a way into my door panel, because when I took it off about 50 kernels of corn fell out. Gotta love Nebraska Winters!

Not a tip, but I felt like sharing that.

Quick Reply: Tips on storing your F-Body for the winter