General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

c5 or gto ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c5 or gto ?

I would like to hear from some people that have owned, or own both of these cars which they prefer. I am not talking about the zo6's or anything, but they are both close in price and was wondering what you would consider the best DD.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Depends.

Do you ever have more than 1 passenger? I prefer the GTO but that is because I have kids and they like to ride along. Also I prefer the interior of the GTO. The c5s look too much like the silverados interior (same ugly stereo controls and plastic everywhere) If you want a platform to build from to go faster than the vette hands down.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

C5 vette if you plan to go fast but that GTO interior really is nice.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

I take alot of trips so room for my bags is nice. I generally don't have more than two passengers, but I am more interested in interior/design quality, and how well they handle in bad weather.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ArklaTexan
Depends.

Do you ever have more than 1 passenger? I prefer the GTO but that is because I have kids and they like to ride along. Also I prefer the interior of the GTO. The c5s look too much like the silverados interior (same ugly stereo controls and plastic everywhere) If you want a platform to build from to go faster than the vette hands down.
^^Word^^

The interior of a GTO is nicer than a C5, IMO. As to how they handle in bad weather, I wouldn't know...mine doesn't see it. But a friend of mine has an '05 GTO w/ bolt ons and drives it through our 100+" snowy Upstate NY winters with a set of Blizzacks.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure they will drive comparable in the winter but these guys have pretty much nailed it. the gto will have a nicer interior. when they were designing it they had bmw owners in mind hoping to shoot for a different crowd. hence the suede and nice interior.

it really boils down to what car you like better. which one fits your needs, and plans for the car. if i had a choice i would probably get the c5 mainly because its a more bang for you buck in terms of speed and performance but thats just me.

you should go out and drive them both before you make your decision.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

C5

- C5 is Faster
- C5 has more accessible parts: GTO uses a lot of VERY one off stuff that will get harder and harder to find as it gets older. It's already started on some parts.
- C5 get's more respect because it's a Corvette and not a "giant Cavalier" as everyone thought mine was.
- C5 has a bigger trunk believe it or not. C5 was designed to fit 2 full size golf bags. The GTO's trunk barely accepts 2 small carry on size roller behind bags.
- C5 Will hold its value WAY better
- C5 will get better gas mileage (when comparing same transmissions) My SS and GTO both got around 270 miles per tank on the same trip. The Camaro has a 2-3 gallon smaller gas tank. I attribute this to the added weight of the GTO.
- The C5 will overall feel a lot more like a performance car where as the GTO just feels like a regular 'ol car that just happens to have a lot of power.

In the end it's your decision. Of all of the muscle cars that I've owned, I would instantly buy back any of them back except for my 2004 GTO which I bought new. I happily sold it in 2006 and replaced it with another 4th gen, an ultra low mileage LS1 SS.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Launching!

If its a comparison between the 05-06 GTOs and the C5, for a daily, I would get the GTO, but from a performance aspect, I would get the C5. The GTO cannot compare in terms of a platform, and it never will.

For DDing though, its not even a fair fight. The GTO interior...4 seats...ride comfort..ride height. Way better.

Personally though, I would pick a G8 GT for a better daily then both of the above. Just IMO.

Either way, you'd be getting a sweet car
Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

LS2 GTO for a DD. if you want performance with great looks get a C5.

im very happy with my GTO.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

I kinda want something that is not going to make me want to mod it. I want something that rides good and looks great. I guess I will have to test drive them out. The vette just didn't look like it would do good in weather, and I havn't even check on insurance, but that would be a BIG consideration. I have plenty of tickets and a wreck under my belt.

This will go everywhere and it will not be a weekend car. I already sold my DD, and bike to put it all into one nice car. I am young to so insurance was already crazy high by myself on liability, so I had the parents as the main driver and me as secondary.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

The GTO and C5 basically have the same running gear (IRS) so they will perform basically the same in weather like rain. For rain it's all going to come down to the tires. If snow, pssshhh you shouldn't even consider driving any car with lots or torque in the snow anyways so that should be a non-issue.

Personally I would trust the C5 more as the GTO's weight and excessive body roll made it extremely hard to guage when it was going to reach the point of fish tailing. The C5 feels more planted to the road.

Again, if you want a regular car with a powerful motor I'd look at the GTO, Impala SS or Trail Blazer SS. If you want a true performance car get a Camaro or Corvette. That's what you really need to think hard on.