General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

should i do it? Trade WS6 for Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i do it? Trade WS6 for Cobra?

trade my 00 WS6 tex cammed @ 421rwhp for a 03 sonic blue bolt on/pullied Cobra? The only reason I am considering this is because A. I know eventually my 10 bolt is gonna give, B. I have been in an Fbody since I was 17 even though it still hasnt gotten old, C. The Cobra is slightly better equipped to handle more power without gutting the engine, D. Cobra has 24k miles WS6 has 60k. What do you guys think?

Also, I dont know why and please dont let this turn into a internet who has bigger ***** battle. But I see alot of Cobras making 450ish rwhp, but cant beat a 400ish rwhp LS car. Is the weight difference that significant?

Here is a video of my car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4VDzfg65Po

and pics of the cobra

Thanks and let me know hwat you guys think
Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

straight trade? I may think of it. If I have to put money down, no
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

lower mileage, newer car,forged engine, blower, better rear end; If it's an even trade, or even with a little money, get the cobra! If I recall, cobras are about 100-150lbs lighter than fbodies.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's tough. Your TA is absolutely beautiful. Based on appearance TA wins hands down IMO. But do what you want. I'm sure the whine of that supercharger might make you fall in love with the cobra. Only thing that leans me more toward the Cobra is the lower miles
Old 11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have to agree with Mean Green. But then again you are getting a newer car with lower miles on it so I might see what they would ask for as far as money down.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Just watch this video, this alone will make you want a cobra. The sound of the exhaust and the whine of the blower is orgasmic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXsAYCrvNsg
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

True, but its hard to part with my TA. Its been like a dream owning one and I am pretty loyal to fbodies for some reason lol. Its actually a pretty god trade, I dont put any money down and they are paying off the last 9K I owe in my car and not putting me upside down in the new loan. To top it off Id actually pay about 10$ less on the cobra monthly, but insurance is more on the cobra cause of the idiots who buys mustangs and wreck them in a week.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I had to own another car that wasnt a Camaro then that would be one of them. Thing sounds mean.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Well one thing I dont like about the cobra is that, its a mustang! Sure it looks a little different but to anyone else its just plain mustang. While my murdered out trans am to this day grabs stares. I think if I sprayed and 12 bolted my car I would murder alot of cobras out there. But then again I am totally up for something new and the SC whine is so damn cool
Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hahaha yea that whine is pretty sweet. Friend has one that is pullied and makes 479 rwhp. Planning on putting 475rwhp on mine so I can give him a nice run. Im going with a 9" with 2 inches shorter width on each side so I can get a nice set of CCW's that are deep dish (18x12 in the back with a mini-tub). Way I look at it is get what you want and make it more like you want.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Idk, that's a pretty sweet trade. As much as I'd be hard to part with my WS6, I think I'd take it hands down. A newer; highly desirable car with way less miles, in an 'easy to flip' color. I say go for it. You could always part with that cobra for more than you could grab a comparable WS6 car if you ended up disliking it.

My only complaint would be the lack of t-tops. I LOVED LOVED LOVED my t-tops. If you are of that mindset; you will grow to dislike the cobra imo. However if you're one of those that could care less; I think the cobra is a little better built and will have the feel of a more solid car (less flex/creaks etc.)

I would throw out the 'its a just mustang to most' fwiw vs. the real WS6 car, as it's 'just a firebird' argument. It's all irrelavant to the non enthusiast. My gf's dad thought I drove a corvette for the longest time when I had my t/a lol.

At any rate, try it out and see how you like it. Rock it for 6mos and off it for a WS6 if you hate it and I will garunTEE you will have a line of cars available who are willing to put up their babies for that Cobra.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to know what I honestly think, you cant lose either way you go. Keep the T/A for that is what you have always liked - spend a little more and blow away the cobras. Get the Cobra and try it out and see where you are. I would miss the hell out of my T-Tops if I got rid of mine - like RSbeast was saying. But it really comes down to what you want and not anyone else for you are the one paying for it and driving it.

Last edited by Jwright41; 11-16-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

I would trade it, My tuner has a Cobra and I tried like hell to get it from him it would bea done deal.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

IMO, I'd go for it. LEss miles, forged motor, a port job away from 500rwhp, better rear...........................AND, it's a Sonic Blue. If you dont' get just as many stares in that thing as you do your WS6, then IDK what to say.

That engine bay looks freakin' clean as hell.

One more thing, you've owned fbody's since you were 17. Nothing wrong iwth going a different route once in a while. If you decide you just dont' like the Cobra, it shouldn't be hard to get rid of it/trade it and get another Fbod. Sonic Blue's are pretty desirable.

that's my 2 cents anyway.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

do it. hell, the re-sale value alone should make you do it. i love my TA but i would trade it in a heart beat for a termi.

And the reason why that cobra in the video is so damn nasty is b/c its a built kenne bell cobra. uumm... yea, i'll take one!! i love gm but im not partial to one over the other. Ive had mustangs and now an fbody.

cliff notes: DO IT!!

i just hope nothing is wrong with the cobra b/c honestly, not saying anything bad about your car b/c its bad *** as hell, but that isn't the smartest of trades for him. Maybe he can't afford the insurance or something. alot of people get rid of their cobras for that reason. good luck with your decision. youre a lucky man to be put in this pickle! :thumbsup:
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

I drove the cobra and it was definitely pretty damn sweet, I dont think its any faster then my WS6 but the whine was epic nice and the interior with suede seats was pretty nice too. But man soemthing about it makes it hard to bare away with my WS6. One turn off is that the cobra has had 5 owners according to carfax, something is pretty fishy with that. The current owner only had it for a month, the one thing thats keeping me from buying the cobra is that I only owe about 8 grand on my WS6. I am going over seas again in 2010 and that means by the time I get home she will be paid off for and I can get a cobra and keep my beloved WS6. Which I just ordered a dry shot for so I can have the best of both worlds. But if I get approved for the loan and everything checks out ok I might just do it.

Sonic blue sure is pretty
Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ponygt65
IMO, I'd go for it. LEss miles, forged motor, a port job away from 500rwhp, better rear...........................AND, it's a Sonic Blue. If you dont' get just as many stares in that thing as you do your WS6, then IDK what to say.

That engine bay looks freakin' clean as hell.

One more thing, you've owned fbody's since you were 17. Nothing wrong iwth going a different route once in a while. If you decide you just dont' like the Cobra, it shouldn't be hard to get rid of it/trade it and get another Fbod. Sonic Blue's are pretty desirable.

that's my 2 cents anyway.

I definitely like the car, if I bought a 24k mile Termi which I believe is the best mustang ever made I wouldnt trade it for much rly. But A. I love my WS6, but more importantly the Cobra has had 5 owners which is creeping me out.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't say the cobra is better equiped at all. The IRS is at a disadvantage if you ask me. Also I wouldn't worry about your interals that much, with good oil pump, pushrods, and springs, maybe good katech rod bolts that ls1 should live to over 500rwhp. there is a guy on here that sprays a cammed stock lower end with a 225 shot and others that have turbos with 550-600 rwhp with stock lower ends.

How much cash is with this trade?? for the amount he prolly wants, you can get that 12 bolt and be done with any rearend issues to 600 hp with 30 slpine axles.

I have 424 hp and run with most cobra that have 480-500 hp in the 1/4, mainly due to weight. Its not as easy to make the cobra lighter. You can do a solid asle swap on the cobra, but then you are in the same scenario as you are in now.

I'd say keep the f-body, Cobras are cool and all but its much more fun to beat one when you have 70 less hp........
Old 11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds to me like your finding reasons not to part with your T/A
And your thinking of ways to have both.
do what you already know your going to do.. Keep your Trans Am..
Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since they are pretty equal in acceleration as you describe get the one that you like to drive. Unless that feels the same as well, then you are screwed. LOL. I mean, when I drive my 2000 Trans Am Compared to my wife's brand new Civic Si it's night and day. The Si's interior and steering feel blow my T/A out of the water.

Quick Reply: should i do it? Trade WS6 for Cobra?