General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Putting a hitch on my TA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rent a truck.. dont put that type of wear on the vehicle.. brakes, clutch, rear end etc.. on the other hand if you dont give a f*ck.. trail whatever you can throw on that 10 foot
Old 12-05-2009, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all for not treating the car like it's a high end exotic. It is only an old outdated f-body, but it's not a tow vehicle. The car has enough weak spots already without stressing it out with towing duties, too.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Teching In

If for some reason you HAVE to move, then by all means, do it and remove the hitch later.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do it, ...
Hidden Hitch makes a good one, that you can't even see when the drawbar is removed.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

i had wondered about this. not for towing though, mainly so i can put a bike rack, for my bike (go figure) if i don't feel like riding around my house. the hidden hitch thing seems like a good way to go. and i don't want to use a bike rack with straps.

good to know.

i still can't believe the docking of the boat in the SS though. wow. the poster was great.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

I'd like to see that guy with the boat and the SS go up the ramp that would be funny.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

i would never do it. but its your car i guess....
Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Syxx613
i appreciate your guys' replies.

I know its not the most attractive thing to look at and it might look redneck-ish... but im NOT paying 1800 dollars to rent a uhaul truck AND pay for its gas when i can spend 4 or 500 for a trailer rental.

After seeing those pictures of f-bodies hauling boats i feel pretty damn confident about this idea haha! i dont care about the miles i put on the car, i built the damn thing from scratch once, ill do it again.. its just a machine.

thanks everyone!
U-Haul makes you pays like 80cents a mile on top of your 19.95 and gas! Best deal if moving across town, but no farther. Use another company like budget or penske, pay 500 bucks for a 16ft and gas and be done with it.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work in the fabrication department for Curt Manufacturing. We make hitches for just about every damn thing made nowdays.I say do it if ya gotta
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Default wow

i didnt think id ever see this on ls1tech. thats more gay than owning a mustang! and i hate mustangs with a passion!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Launching!

I wouldn't do it ,but if you got to go for it. You Probably want to get some fresh brake pads on. An F-body towing across country will KILL your front pads.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Uhaul truck rental places also install hitches, they have all sizes for cars and trucks, atleast the ones here do, but while ur there u should compare the price of the hitch, install and trailer rental,, to the box truck and car hauler price( a car hauler is like 50 bucks) and think about if its worth it to risk the car, but i think it could be done if you try to put the weight over the trailor axle and not the bumper and be carefull, if your cars an auto i would cruise in drive not od to be easier on it goin up and down hills, the same place that installs the hitch should also be able to tell u what kinda load you can haul good luck gettn where ur goin
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I remember reading something about my Z when I first got it about how if you're in an auto you shouldn't haul anything (I guess without a tranny cooler) but if you're in a manaul the most you should haul is 1,000 pounds. This may have just been on a stock vehicle, but still.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

All u-haul hitches and hitch accessaries are made by curt manufacturing. So a uhaul hihitch is just a curt hitch with a different sticker
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

hell id do it if i didnt have 2 trucks. I wouldnt think twice about the drivetrain. If its a auto its pretty much the same motor trans and rear end as a 1500 chevy 2 wheel drive pickup and you dont hear them saying not too tow with them. i would just worry about putting too much tongue weight on the unibody but on that note i used to tow with my 02 chevy venture and it was a unibody. I pulled a 6000lbs with it once. You will be fine a break controller would help with stopping.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, almost daily I kick myself for not taking a picture of an old guy I saw towing a boat with his C6.
Seriously.
And this was no small boat...
******* awesome.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Teching In

hmmm..... make sure you pile 15 border jumpers in it first..
Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Default go ahead

Originally Posted by Syxx613
so here i am so desperate to move that ive pondered the idea of putting a hitch on the TA so i can trailer a 10 footer across the country.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? whats the largest trailer i can get away with towing? id like to take a 16 footer. ill be traveling from Chicago to Sacramento then to Phoenix.

So if anyone knows where to get a hitch, where to attach it to my car, and if you think it will make it.. please chime in! thanks guys! your knowledge is always appreciated.
Hidden hitch makes one for the F-body that isn't really noticable when not being used. I had one on my 02 WS-6 for about a year simply because I didnt have a truck at the time and that was my cheapest option. Besides, it was kinda cool to pull up at track days pulling my bike with a cammed T/A. Not to mention that it bolts on with 6 bolts and comes right back off like it was never there. Do it man.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've used Penske truck rental twice to move across town. Cheaper than U-haul, and their trucks are really nice. Much nicer than the 1980's Ford F350 van POS that uhaul will try to rent you
Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jobuhoohoos
Hidden hitch makes one for the F-body that isn't really noticable when not being used. I had one on my 02 WS-6 for about a year simply because I didnt have a truck at the time and that was my cheapest option. Besides, it was kinda cool to pull up at track days pulling my bike with a cammed T/A. Not to mention that it bolts on with 6 bolts and comes right back off like it was never there. Do it man.
do you have any pics of it? what type of trailer/setup was it? gas mileage?

I did this in the past when i rode dirtbikes and had a 95 mustang. had a "hidden hitch" on it which wasnt noticable when the receiver was removed. people laugh at me? how bout when i make 550rwhp and i drag you along the hiway pulling 2 dirtbikes?

lol anyway I do trackdays too. i have a daully and an bigger enclosed trailer (for my race car) I use now for closer events. looking to cheapen things up for next season. I could throw it in the bed of the truck but it still gets like 12mpg. my 6spd ta gets 29 on the hiway. do you know approx how much drop there is towing a small trailer? im actually going to FL to ride track in 3 weeks...thats why im considering this. fuel is gonna cost a fortune if i use my truck. plus i do a lot of street riding where I have to meet people an hour away sometimes. it would be nice to just load the bike up on the trailer and cruise out there to meet and then unload it and ride. so the money i spend on a hitch and small trailer is money I was thinking of spending anyway for this purpose.

Quick Reply: Putting a hitch on my TA?