General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fbody build quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Ok, this guy definitely wins the "Hardcore Muscle Car Driver of the Year" award.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Juicy J
We are on the same page. Since you explained it further, I absolutely agree with you. I usually skip threads you post in, just because you are always right. If you lived closer, I might buy you a beer.
I do make the occasional mistake, at least according to my wife. Seriously though, I wish I did live closer, it's too damn cold here in IL, and gun laws are WAY too restrictive. If I lived in TX style weather, I'd likely daily drive a car like my Nova year round. I really do love simple, old stuff.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Unfortunately I have a feeling that a few of you have bought 'well used up' examples and of course the problems will be quite evident. Don't give up on the F-body and eventually try to find a well cared for example. They are still out there but expect to pay a fair price. Having bought two new F-bodies (first one was a '96 Formula) I have found them to be excellent overall, especially for the $$ paid. My Formula was $22,000 and my T/A 'vert $33,000. My Z3 3.0L was $41,000 and the 911 stickered at $79,000 back in '95. Why do I mention this? Mainly because of the old saying, "the grass is not always greener on the other side." The F-bodies are slightly faster and have held up BETTER in repairs over the years, and let us not even talk about the cost of those repairs. Of course the German cars are faster in the corners and have many facets better than an F body, but dollar for dollar (just like fighters, pound for pound) you just can't beat the F-bodies. Many car magazines use that same argument for the regular new Corvette against all the six figure supercars. You just can't beat it unless you want all the bells and whistles. Buying an F-body for interior design and comfort is not the reason to buy the car, but even then I still love mine even after 14+ years of ownership. It never gets old. If you don't want a muscle or sports car, then that opens up another entirely different set of matters.
I agree with all of this. I too have bought two of these cars brand new ('99 Z28, '00 WS6), and two used ('98 Z28, '02 Z28). It's foolish for people to bitch about "quality" when the only experiance they've had with these cars is buying a used one with 130k miles and a questionable maintenance history. Any car will fall apart if it's been abused or neglected, this is not F-body specific.

I think the real problem here is people having false expectations, or not being honest with themselves about what they really want out of a car. I do agree that these cars are not for everyone, but I think it's false to say that F-bodies are "poor quality". They are very good quality for what they are supposed to be, which is a modern basic muscle car. Stuff like basic interiors and little insulation is how they're supposed to be, since priority should be placed on as little weight as possibile while still being reasonably streetable. Then, factor in the budget of keeping the car affordable and you've got the answer as to why these cars don't drive like a Cadillac while accelerating like a Corvette. You can't have it all at affordable prices.

If people are bothered by a bit of road or engine noise, and can't stand some degree of harshness over bumps, then they really aren't looking for a muscle car in the first place. This is not GM, nor the F-bodies fault; it's just a matter of people buying the wrong car for their needs...probably because they want LS1-level power, but can't afford a car that offers similar power plus the luxury they really want. Frankly, I'm one of those guys that wants the power and really doesn't give a rats *** about luxury in a muscle car, so the F-body is a perfect fit.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-16-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
My car has no mileage on it so I dont have any rattles and major squeaks. The only thing that pisses me off is whenever I go over those hard bumps the hatch rattles a bit

Anyone find a fix for this? I was thinking about putting in some sort of light weather stripping there to absorb the shock.
The fix I found for this was putting Koni SA's on my car (with otherwise stock suspension) and making sure the tires were at 30psi.
And this goes for anyone who doesn't like the way these cars ride stock (I know I didn't), its a very simple fix: get better shocks. The stock decarbons suck, period, and the sole reason these cars are choppy, jarring, and sloppy.
I guarantee a good set of shocks (atleast bilstiens, no over the counter crap or random ebay finds) will fix 99% of the ride quality issues (and may also fix any handling issues as well) and rid you of interior noises from hitting bumps.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care for fancy interiors, rattling or cornering of a BMW either.

I did get rid of the ugly beige carpet and door panels for ebony, delete rear seat, put corebeau seats up front.

But it just seems my car is a case of a neglected car and I wanted to hear what others had to say about the build quality.

I did a complete tune up and changed all fluids when i got it at 42k miles.
Within the last 2.5 years the ICM, crank, cam sensors got fried 3 times.

Fuel pump just took a **** at 60k miles.

I am just sick and tired of being stranded on public roads. Coming to a rolling stop on emergency lanes/shoulder on the highways.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
My car has no mileage on it so I dont have any rattles and major squeaks. The only thing that pisses me off is whenever I go over those hard bumps the hatch rattles a bit

Anyone find a fix for this? I was thinking about putting in some sort of light weather stripping there to absorb the shock.

Screw out the rubber stops in the deck lid a little bit.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine on a 6 hour trip this past summer and I had the worst backache for about a week straight but I would not have it any other way...when I was asked why I didn't take the comfort car with better mpg I told people that it wasn't as fun and plus it is a sports car it's supposed to ride like that...lol
Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
A GTO is more Mustang like, in that you feel like you're sitting "on" the car vs "in" the car with the more cockpit like F-body.
I said the exact same thing to a buddy that owned a 00 GT. I don't think he understood til he sold it and bought a Camaro. Now, he gets it I have yet to drive or set in a car that has the seat, steering wheel, shifter, etc, laid out as good as these car do.

I agree completely about the feel of the GTO being "mustang like".

People like to complain in general. I drive a 00 Silverado Z-71 with 9" of lift on 35" mud tires with 4.88s as my daily. A lot of the whining ****** on here couldn't tolerate that I'm sure When I would drive the car, the last thing I was thinking about was it's ride quality, or any of the other things people bitch about when it comes to the F Body. Besides the **** *** rear end they put in them, I really don't have anything to complain about.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

1. Who else offered a 275-345hp car in the 90s and early 00s that could be had brand new for less than $30,000?

2. The 4th gens were night and day difference over the sagging doors, twisting body, fall apart in your hands interior, rattle trap 2nd and 3rd gens. Those cars wouldn't last 6 months before the started to "age." Those people in Quebec took great pride in building these cars. Unlike the yahoo's at Van Nuys California who built them previously.

3. The 4th gen has done a hell of a lot better job dealing with abusive owners and more importantly "time" itself. You can't judge a car that's had an unknown number of owners with an unknown maintance history before you bought it and bitch that it's "worn." especially when said car cost $10,000 or less (a third of it's original value).

4. These cars aren't made for the Honda buyer who never changes his oil, or spills coffee or soda all over the interior on a daily basis. Nor are they BMW M3s or Porsche 996's. These are budget performance cars for the masses.

5. Does the interior looked dated? Well I'd say the Pontiacs do as the interior didn't change from 1993-2002. So now it's almost 2010 and your 4th gen Trans Am has a 17 year old interior design. Personally I think they could have done a better job like Chevy did and the kick *** job they did on the 3rd gen birds but go look at all of the other Pontiacs built at the same time. The TA falls right in line with them.

6. I don't think a lot of you guys get it. Appearantly you want import quality but without the import price or the import lack of performance. Can't have it all, plus all of that frilly BS just adds weight. Look at the GTO and even the 5th gen.

7. A Camaro and a Trans Am have always been about providing Corvette performance at an entry level price. If that's not what you're looking for then please sell your car to someone who does understand what this car is all about.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont get why people say the interior is crappy. its a chevy/pontiac....it aint no cadillac, bmw, or lexus. It might be mostly plastic and vinyl, but its still got a nice design and it is still suitable to be a full time daily driven car. I think the interior of my t/a is still pretty cool looking, espcially for a nearly 12 year old car.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

build quality... ask yourself what is it that you think you're driving? even with these cars, you get what you pay for.

as others have already stated a few times, i also feel the car is just modern enough for me. good stock power, a pcm that is (relatively) easy to tune, doesn't beep at you when you keep the seatbelt off, but dims interior lights when you shut it off and automatically turns on the exterior ones when its dark outside.
the build quality is fine enough for me. i like the old parts in it - they've stood the test of time.

i usually drive a new car (rental or company car) for work and they're pretty easy on me at the end of a long day. since i don't own them, the fact that they feel overpriced, or the overwhelming use of cheap plastic (and fake everything else) doesn't bother me too much. i only drive my camaro when i'm home and off work (days/weeks at a time). if not for aftermarket "improvements," it would be a pretty tame ride...

if you've got squeaks, try subframe connectors. if you've got wind noise, try replacing or restoring seals. if it doesn't ride well, put some koni shocks in.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The fix I found for this was putting Koni SA's on my car (with otherwise stock suspension) and making sure the tires were at 30psi.
And this goes for anyone who doesn't like the way these cars ride stock (I know I didn't), its a very simple fix: get better shocks. The stock decarbons suck, period, and the sole reason these cars are choppy, jarring, and sloppy.
I guarantee a good set of shocks (atleast bilstiens, no over the counter crap or random ebay finds) will fix 99% of the ride quality issues (and may also fix any handling issues as well) and rid you of interior noises from hitting bumps.
SO koni 4/3's will do just well? And I do believe that my psi on the stock tires is 30PSI as usual. I wouldn't normaly think the Koni's would lessen the ride harshness.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cannot believe so many of you guys are complaining about how difficult it is to work on F-bodies. Do you all understand how easy it is to work on almost anything on these cars?

My good friends have a 2001 Audi B5 A4 1.8T, and the other has a 2006 GTi, and the other some newer Si.

Try working on those cars and come back saying the F body is a PITA to work on.

Example: Just replacing the fuel filter on the Audi required unbolting the gas tank and tilting it so we could even reach the fuel filter as it was bordered by the damn tank, then holding it there with some 2x4's while still attached to the car.

That was just for the fuel filter, where on our cars you just lift the rear end of the car and there it is; a 5 minute job. It gets even worse beyond that.

My friends actually enjoy working with me on my car because of it's general "direct ease" of repair with no BS to accomplish to get a job done.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I totally agree with him^^^ check out some german engineered vehicles and the techniques you need to master just to be able to take out their damn tail lights.......
Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Whaaaaa! What a whine fest! Toughen the **** up! These cars were built as AFFORDABLE Muscle Cars...and that's exactly what they are. What was the most obvious opponent? The Mustang, well suffice to say, 4th Gens have been kicking the teeth on on the blue oval boys for a while now!

You wanna see the flip side? Go to the 5th Gen section... and read all the crying about the weight and all that ****. Well, you have the better fitments, better ride, solid power...BUT its heavier than everyone likes and isnt as fast as everyone hoped...

At least the 4th gens performed even BETTER than advertised. The end!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

I always thought the 1/4 mile was fun in my car but good god, the autobahn is great when the "lesser" Audi's, Benz's, and BMW's move over lol. I can't wait till I can get some new shocks and springs put on.

69camaross put things very well in my opinion. You really can't beat the value of a fourth gen car.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
4th gen F-bodies are the best cars I've ever owned. They rarely break on me (unless somehow related to mods), and they are actually pretty easy to service.

Only difficult thing to service is the #8 spark plug. Otherwise, all other fluids, filters, and belts are EASY to service. All the engine accessories are relatively easy to access as well. Air, fuel, and oil filters are so easy to access you could have broken arms and still change them with your tounge. Do you know how many other (non-F-body) newer cars don't have a petcock to drain the radiator? Or require removing extra parts just to access the belts? Or require engine bracing removal to change a battery?

As for build quality, all 4 of my 4th gens have been pretty solid cars. You gotta keep in mind these are hatchback, removeable roof cars, so you're gonna hear some body and interior noise....especially in cold weather.

When you consider the price of these cars when new, and the fact that GM gave us an awesome drivetrain that'll run low 13s, often with 100k+ miles on a stock motor, trans, and rear at stock power levels, who can complain?

And I love the old school steering column. It puts the wheel in the perfect location between itself and my body. Who cares if it's old? I think the problem here is that the younger crowd likes a lot of new bells and whistles, and generally doesn't want to see old stuff or old technology even if it works well. I don't feel this way. I like my cars to be as basic as possibile while still offering some level of comfort and conveniance. I'm not interested in Navi, DVD players, integrated I-pods, bluetooth, On-star, heated seats, electronic climate control, 57 different on-board computers to wipe my *** and blow my nose, etc.

It's like the F-body was built for me. They have everything I need and nothing I don't.
SO TRUE!i have no problems with my car. AT ALL. and its a damn convertible... Do subframe connectors if you want the noises gone lol....

I havent had to WORK on anything.... all of time a wrench has touched my car were either for the mods i was putting on it... or oil changes / spark plugs. Otherwise. i've owned my car for a solid year and a half, beating on it regularly with not a problem in the world.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
You wanna see the flip side? Go to the 5th Gen section... and read all the crying about the weight and all that ****. Well, you have the better fitments, better ride, solid power...BUT its heavier than everyone likes and isnt as fast as everyone hoped...

At least the 4th gens performed even BETTER than advertised. The end!

All the people that complain about the "lack of luxury" or basic interiors, or too much road/engine noise in the cabin need to READ and UNDERSTAND the post above.

If GM had built the 4th gens the way you luxury fans would like to see them, we would've had a bunch of low-14 second cars in 1998, instead of low-13 second.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

I love my z for it's bulky quality.

I mean, our doors shut like ****, the rear end sounds like a mixer, the motor is so far under the dash that the dash is 3 feet long, the lovely vinyl door skins and of course our top grade leather.

But, the fact is that these cars are pretty beastly even stock. They are GM dirt cheap fast *** non refined cars.

If you want this kind of power and no creaks and groans, you are looking at a M3 < Last I checked those were a tad bit more pricey
Old 12-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Launching!

The ONLY thing I don't like is the ***** for the vents. If I could paint them black instead of the "5th grade Playset Grey" I'd be all good.

Everything else is cool. Oil, belts, hoses, are pretty accessible after you get frustrated, swear, and take a break. Then it's all good.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Mine is one of the most trouble free cars i have owned. I have nearly 100k on mine now. The VATS was the only real item that has ever given me trouble.

Quick Reply: Fbody build quality