General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fbody build quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Who cares if it's old? I think the problem here is that the younger crowd likes a lot of new bells and whistles, and generally doesn't want to see old stuff or old technology even if it works well. I don't feel this way. I like my cars to be as basic as possibile while still offering some level of comfort and conveniance. I'm not interested in Navi, DVD players, integrated I-pods, bluetooth, On-star, heated seats, electronic climate control, 57 different on-board computers to wipe my *** and blow my nose, etc.
I agree with you 100%. I almost would rather have manual windows than powered ones.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I like to pick and choose my gadgets, which is why i bought a loaded out SS and stuck a garmin nuvi to the windshield. lol. Its kind fun that my loaded out autotragic pig of a car with its leather power seats and power locks and windows still almost clicks off 12's in bone stock form.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

I D/D an 83 Z28 for 10 years with all the squeaks and rattles and no creature comforts except for heat . When I bought my 01 SOM M6 Z28 it was a completely differnt car I love it. No rattles the t-tops seal better then my hard top on my old Z and it is as quiet inside as my 2000 jeep grand cherokee it drives great and runs phenomenal 4 days after owning it i took it to the track and ran a 13.04 at 104 and the car is bone stock with 104,000 miles on it . I think Gm did a great job. Could they have improved a few things like the 10 bolt sure but cost I am sure was a factor. Overall I am very happy with my 4th gen.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I hate power seats. They are sooooo slow.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

What? Were you racing the guy in the parking next to you?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i could pass on the power seats. no one else drives my t/a so its not like im always switching positions.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
That's not even an argument.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I daily drive my camaro everywhere. Ill probably drive it until it blows and ill get a gto or something. It has 180k on original drivetrain. After driving my buddies 05 350z.. I started to hate the interior of my car and the rattles that come along with it lol
Old 12-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

they are definately not the most solid cars built thats for sure
Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,234 Posts

For those of you guys that don't like them, why not just sell it then?

If you think there's something else better for the money, I can't understand why you'd keep a car that you don't like.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

If you think there's something else better for the money, I can't understand why you'd keep a car that you don't like.
Agreed. I bought this car because it had everything I wanted for a very acceptable price.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ive owned a few luxury sport cars, my last one was supercharged 400hp.. and so far, my camaro has been the most exciting, fun car to drive HANDS DOWN! My leather seats is enough luxury for me anyways haha. But if you want to talk quality.. the Camaro DOES lack in quality but thats pretty much expected!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BladeX10
I daily drive my camaro everywhere. Ill probably drive it until it blows and ill get a gto or something. It has 180k on original drivetrain. After driving my buddies 05 350z.. I started to hate the interior of my car and the rattles that come along with it lol
Thats pretty funny. A 350Z made you hate your interior? 350Z's are known for horrible quality interiors that "fall apart" much like an Fbody. Kind of ironic.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

"It's a manly car, that's for sure. You do have to be a bit hardcore to DD one of these cars....I know that first hand. I DD'ed my '02 car for many thousands of miles in every type of weather."

So that makes me the kimbo slice of f body drivers? Got mine at 70k, now has damn near 130k and daily driven the whole time i've had it.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by johnzss
But if you want to talk quality.. the Camaro DOES lack in quality but thats pretty much expected!

A "lack in quality" generally implies that (when used in factory stock form) parts often fail prematurely, or that the car is known for reliability issues, even when proper maintainence is performed. Neither of these apply to an LS1 Camaro.

If you're referring to fit & finish, I still don't think that its "lacking" anything, considering the price range when new and the era it's from.

In 1998, GM gave us a V8 F-body that produced about 50hp more than advertised, ran faster than anyone expected, and out performed its closest competition (Mustang) by leaps and bounds while still maintaining a near identicle base price. It's an excellent quality machine that carries out it's mission without fail; to offer Corvette level acceleration at a more affordable price, while still delivering excellent braking and handling for it's price range, wrapped in an "everything you need and nothing you don't" aggressively designed, enthusiast oriented package. You got a brand new 350hp V8, RWD, full power accessories, decent factory stereo, ABS, A/C, traction control, leather, chrome wheels, removeable glass roof....all for $25k, or thousands less if you bought a stripper.

...and on that note, I have no complaints.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol, this is the new age, where men don't DO they just BITCH like the bitches they lay down with at night.

Once again, people are looking at newer cars and are using those experiences to judge a car that started out in 1993, almost 17 goddamn years ago! NO ONE made good cars back then, and even the BEST of those cars would be laughable by the new car standards of today. If you don't like F-body "quality" and "fit/finish," stop driving a 17 year old car!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

A "lack in quality" generally implies that (when used in factory stock form) parts often fail prematurely, or that the car is known for reliability issues, even when proper maintainence is performed. Neither of these apply to an LS1 Camaro.

If you're referring to fit & finish, I still don't think that its "lacking" anything, considering the price range when new and the era it's from.

In 1998, GM gave us a V8 F-body that produced about 50hp more than advertised, ran faster than anyone expected, and out performed its closest competition (Mustang) by leaps and bounds while still maintaining a near identicle base price. It's an excellent quality machine that carries out it's mission without fail; to offer Corvette level acceleration at a more affordable price, while still delivering excellent braking and handling for it's price range, wrapped in an "everything you need and nothing you don't" aggressively designed, enthusiast oriented package. You got a brand new 350hp V8, RWD, full power accessories, decent factory stereo, ABS, A/C, traction control, leather, chrome wheels, removeable glass roof....all for $25k, or thousands less if you bought a stripper.

...and on that note, I have no complaints.
I'm glad you have no complaints.
Honestly, to me, you just come off as an apologist for GM. If GM cars were actually so great all these years, then why has their market share deteriorated so far? Can't blame union for everything
In your sig. it says "supporting GM since 1995", that's great. I purchased my first GM vehicle in 1979 (1974 Z28 with Muncie rockcrusher). I am on my 3rd F-body, and I think they are great as cheap used cars. Now of course in the last few years quality, refinement, NVH is reaching or has reached the level of competitors, I think the new Camaro is a great car.

It's fantastic that you are so happy with GM vehicles and are unable to find fault in them.
I have owned close to 30 cars (some purchased new, some used) including Porsche, Jaguar, Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Infiniti and others. I consider myself a car enthusiast, and I can appreciate a great car no matter what company happens to make it and I could find faults in all of them, some small, some large faults, but to only heap praise on every aspect of a vehicle and to try and constantly marginalize faults and problems that others have, in my opinion borders on being disingenuous.

I do laude GM for what they have accomplished over the years with F-bodies, but I also have no problem in seeing the shortcomings and costcutting that was done.

just my opionion, just an opionion which happens to differ from yours.

by the way,
I really like your Nova, uncle of mine had a '69 similar to yours,
his biggest complaint was about not being able to put as large tires in back as he wanted while having the car lowered. He purchased it new and it was around 1980 that he lowered it and was doing his modding to it.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because they know they would want to be back in one every time they saw one pass by.

It was made in 1997 for crying out loud. I mean seriously, how nice were cars back then. Compare it to the SAME YEAR mustang/civic/etc etc.. Hell even a lexus or something of the sort.

You can't compare it to a brand new 350Z or hell, even a GTO for that matter.

As far as reliability goes, IMO, you CANT beat an ls1, they are about as reliable as you can get.. **** even at 400+ Rwhp they still usually have 10Xs less problems than most other vehicles I know of.

I don't know ANYONE with a civic/maxima/altima/accord that doesn't have problem upon problem upon problem.

Anybody bitching needs to get a reality check. Were they the best quality? No.. But you got what you wanted... A solid 13 second car regardless of conditions at a KILLER price. It wasn't meant to compete with a euro on the interior.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Launching!

It's 8 years old, everything works NO RATTLES, never had a problem with it, and still has the original window motors.

I got wayaaa more than I paid for if you count all the fun!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

My current Camaro, I can't say has been a no issue car, but most of the problems its had is bcause it was abused by the 1st owner. I never pampered it either. It's a huge pain in the *** and there is always something wrong with it. But holy crap I LOVE to drive it. I love the way it looks and I think the interior is decent. I put T/A seats in it and feel like I'm driving an easy chair. The stock shocks are horrible. I have had all the typical broken parts an F-body gets. My 98 I had was perfect angel, not one problem fast as hell and there was nothing I didn't like. It was totaled by some buttmunch who ran into the back of it. I miss that car. I hate the loud rearend, the #8 plug and the window motors. the big dashboard and the huge blindspots. Everytime I drive it I get big stupid **** eating grin on my face. Even if I just go to the store and get milk. I have another car but refuse to drive it unless needed. Right now the 02 is down for a timing chain, and I'm sad. I feel like I'm missing part of my family. I would love to have a stock Z-28 with cloth seats and a 6spd for a daily, and use mine for a weekend car. With the stock ridehieght I could still drive over curbs or anywhere I want. The only car I ever drove that I thought could be close to a F-body is a G6 coupe if it wasn't FWD there wouldn't be too much different. With all this said There is no way I would ever get rid of that car. My father in law said to me "that is a money pit" and I said "yeah, but I love the damn thing.

Quick Reply: Fbody build quality