General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving an M6...Is it Really That Hard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its got a stock clutch you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. If your like me and bought something with a stage 3 clutch, thats a whole other story.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you think its hard to drive stick on a stock fbody. Try on learning on a stage 4 clutch, short shifter mustang... definitely much harder.

Fbody manual is cake to master
Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

driving manual ain't hard at all. fairly simple my good man. just takes a good 2-3 weeks of driving it to have it down pat and to shift without consciously thinking about what to do.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the M6 is easy to drive.... WAAAAAAAAAAY easier than my M5 Iroc
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's no prob really... I basically taught myself how to drive a stick while I drove home from picking up my Camaro. I was 2 hours away and I stalled 5 times LOL.

Two years later, I couldn't ever think of going back to an automatic. It's just so much fun rowing through the gears yourself, and being able to hold it in a gear and pin it from whatever RPM you want. The clutches in our cars are the easiest to drive I've experienced. I drove a Cobalt SS once and the clutch was SO unforgiving, I stalled maybe 3 times in reverse trying to get it out of a parking spot haha. Yes in traffic it is a bitch...but it's so worth it.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

GOOGLE - how to drive a manual
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Launching!

driving stick is simple...if you cant do it you shouldn't even be allowed to drive... I miss my Saturn because it was stick..now I'm driving an auto cobalt and I just want to shoot myself... I'm thinking about getting into a vette right now..just take your time and think things threw.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

i learned in my car. had a couple buddies who had manual cars and got their license before me and watching it kinda teaches you in itself. I would watch and if I didn't understand why they had to do something I asked. Got in and knew what to do and had it down in a week.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HWI
Has someone had their *** handed to them by a stalled auto?
na i had a 4k stalled auto and did a m6 swap i loved my auto but its boring i love rowing my own gears
Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by therobman
na i had a 4k stalled auto and did a m6 swap i loved my auto but its boring i love rowing my own gears
when you start making big hp you are going to eat t56's for lunch

i know what you mean about changing your own gears, but you can just get a manual valve body for the 4l80e
Old 12-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

definately not hard to learn..... but if you end up living on campus you are really going to regret buying that vette after the first handful of drunk asses slam their doors into your car.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slayerized6
if its got a stock clutch you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. If your like me and bought something with a stage 3 clutch, thats a whole other story.
Agreed. lol. I put a Spec Stage 3 in my old Camaro. And even after having driven a manual for about 2-3 years, it was still a pain to get used to. A stock clutch on a V8 is about the easiest thing to learn to drive a stick on. Most have so much torque, that you don't have to give it much gas to not kill it.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its so much easier to learn on a V8 than a four banger IMO. Its pretty damn hard to stall in a V8 with a stock clutch.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

I taught myself to drive a manual for the first time when I flew to Florida and had to drive my car back home from there, and this was with 440+rwhp and a PITA ram HD clutch that was later replaced. So yes, anybody can drive a stick with a little practice. Drive the car for a couple days and you'll have it down! Good luck with the purchase!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
I drove a Cobalt SS once and the clutch was SO unforgiving, I stalled maybe 3 times in reverse trying to get it out of a parking spot haha. Yes in traffic it is a bitch...but it's so worth it.
I know what you mean but the Cobalt SS I have an 06 Supercharged I know the clutch in that car is a different animal and it's my DD. When I switch cars I have to get back used to the other between that and my camaro. Even when my camaro was bone stock when I bought it. Now I have an LS7 clutch in it and it feels like the stock clutch. I also had an Mazda MX-3 which I learned how to drive a stick and out of all the 3 cars I would say the camaro would be the easiest although it has the most power.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can't drive a manual then turn in your man card especially if its a hydraulic clutch.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what a PAIN a manual can be if your commute is bumper to bumper every day. What is your driving like on a daily basis?? I own both autos and sticks and love them both for different reasons. I would HATE driving my stick in Atlanta traffic every day but I can't get enough of my manual when there is nothing but twisty, winding road ahead of me with light traffic. It is something serious to consider.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'm surprised no one has mentioned what a PAIN a manual can be if your commute is bumper to bumper every day. What is your driving like on a daily basis?? I own both autos and sticks and love them both for different reasons. I would HATE driving my stick in Atlanta traffic every day but I can't get enough of my manual when there is nothing but twisty, winding road ahead of me with light traffic. It is something serious to consider.
Agreed with this.

As far as learning to drive an M6, the LSx cars are VERY forgiving when learning this. I'd recommend turning off traction control - it will make it easier in the early going. I've been driving a manual trans for over 10 years now, and my '99 Z28 is by far the easiest manual I've ever dealt with. Simply put, don't let the M6 be a deterrent. If you have a good deal, I'd do it.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

first car was a 5 speed camaro, i literally towed it to the shop, had the few things fixed that needed attention, then drove it home, alone... i was 15, never drove a manual before.. the only hard part is starting on a steep hill, but with a little practice itll be easy too...

have an a4 t/a now, but only because i know a4 is faster, plus have better things to do with my right hand (gf) hahah

edit: you will love the 6 speed vette, if you dont get it your going to kick yourself the rest of your life...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM

I learned how to drive stick on mine about 6 years ago. its not that hard. infact with how much tourqe they have it made it easier for me.