General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving an M6...Is it Really That Hard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driving an M6...Is it Really That Hard?

im 18 but still live at home (full time college and part time job) and i have an A4 Trans am now, i found a really good deal on an M6 vette (before you say anything...all of this is being paid for by me, none of there money is paying for it) but my parents are saying that driving a stick is going to be too hard and that i wont be able to do it. so is it really THAT hard?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it's not too hard. But for someone starting out in a manual, could get frustrating till you figure it all out. In my opinion everyone should know how to drive stick, that way if necessary you can drive any car.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

the 6 speed in my 02 z28 is the easiest to drive manual tranny ive ever driven. got to be similar in the vette.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you ride motorcycles or quads? Because I was used to riding a dirt bike, when I starting driving manual, it was easier because I could corralate the hand clutch and throttle on the motorcycle to the clutch pedal and gas pedal on the car.

And my 25 year old friend had never driven a manual before, just had an auto truck. And I taught him how to drive my manual car in a big empty parking lot in under an hour. He had it down pretty decent, and he isn't necessarily the sharpest tack in the bunch either.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Corvette 6spds are very easy to drive if stock. Now go put a twin disk clutch it might get alittle harder just because the clutch is harder to push in.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by my bandit
im 18 but still live at home (full time college and part time job) and i have an A4 Trans am now, i found a really good deal on an M6 vette (before you say anything...all of this is being paid for by me, none of there money is paying for it) but my parents are saying that driving a stick is going to be too hard and that i wont be able to do it. so is it really THAT hard?
I started driving a dirt bike with clutch wen I was 14 then got my ss with a stick at 17 and learned in 5 minutes. Really easy to learn. As long as u no what to do and watch somebody do it just hop in and go.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I just hopped in and went..These are the easiest cars you can learn to drive stick on aside from a diesel truck. The gears are real tight which is nice. The first thing I ever learned to drive was a manual nissan truck when I was 9 or so..

Also keep your T/A, shifting does get kinda old.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its simple a cammed car is a little bit of a challange because you have to be on and off the clutch more often to make it not surge or buck at lower rpms other wise its a piece of cake. dont listen to the guy above autos shouldnt be in street sports cars there so boring nothing like rowing your own gears
Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by my bandit
No it's not that hard.

And yes, indirectly THEY'RE paying for it.
Eitherway, can't give you too much **** since you're making the right choice by going to school.
Get ahead while you can.
-Matt
Old 12-28-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

T56s are VERY easy to drive.. Only thing that is as easy that I have personally drove is a honda civic that a Hondas and most are harder.

They are most definitely not easy to launch while racing however.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
T56s are VERY easy to drive.. Only thing that is as easy that I have personally drove is a honda civic that a Hondas and most are harder.

They are most definitely not easy to launch while racing however.
The thing I hate about honda's is that I can shake the shifter 5 inches either way while IN GEAR.. My friends civic is so loose. It seems like it would be really hard to find the gears like that.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Easy squeezy lemon peezy
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
The thing I hate about honda's is that I can shake the shifter 5 inches either way while IN GEAR.. My friends civic is so loose. It seems like it would be really hard to find the gears like that.
I was wondering why a lot of cars, newer too, are like that. That should not be allowed lol. My friends new-ish Audi (2007 model year) has a shifter that wobbles around IN GEAR really bad and it has like 15k on the odometer. WTF

He shifted the gears in my car the other day and was like "WOW!"
Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therobman
dont listen to the guy above autos shouldnt be in street sports cars there so boring nothing like rowing your own gears
Has someone had their *** handed to them by a stalled auto?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
i know what you mean, it would seem like it is in neutral when it is in gear

what you need to do is replace the bushing, it is under the car bellow the shifter.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont listen to the guy above autos shouldnt be in street sports cars there so boring nothing like rowing your own gears
Good thing fbodys are not sports cars.

Nothing like cutting 1.4 sixty times NA in a full weight street car DD....
Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

My acura integra was a pain in the *** to learn on, and the shifter was still a little loose even after a short throw and the bushings were put in. It is just the way the shifter is designed, the front wheel drive cars the shifter is not directly on top of the transmission so you will be able to move it around a little without putting it in gear.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Yes it is! I have 2 6 speeds & a 5 speed with all having a different reverse placement.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 4 speeds or 3 on the tree (younger guys aren't even familiar with the term, I'm sure) were a pain in the *** to drive.

The new style 6 speeds have internal linkage and a hydraulic clutch slave. They are a breeze to drive. Hell, my wife even takes it out when no one's looking.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

. dont listen to the guy above autos shouldnt be in street sports cars there so boring nothing like rowing your own gears
This is ignorance.

And yes very easy. I say get the Vette im looking to upgrade as well.