General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving an M6...Is it Really That Hard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

compared to some of the other cars i've driven (with less than 1/3 the power), i thought the clutch on a t-56 took a good deal more effort which would probably get annoying quick if you're ever caught sitting in a gridlocked freeway. however, the only t-56 fbody i've driven was also modded and might have had an aftermarket clutch.
if only i never know what a stalled auto was like, i'd still want a 6-speed even with a heavy aftermarket clutch.

vettes are cheap enough these days, so i'd go for it. might not be a bad idea to invest in some manual tranny driving classes (may be cheaper than a new clutch). you're going to get a lot of the "did daddy buy you that?" glares, but at the end of the day, you're driving an awesome car.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right foot pinned to the floor... left foot pumping the left pedal, while moving a stick around. Pretty simple.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Corvettes, or a c5 at least, is probably THE EASIEST car to drive. They're solid, and you feel confident driving it. It takes little effort to get the clutch and gas right, because the clutch is so sensitive. I was able to teach my gf how to drive in about 20 mins. You can't go wrong
Old 12-29-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Piece of cake! I learned on my ws6 when I test drove it. Within 10 minutes I had it down, and I agree about being easier than 4 bangers.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, you should try it out and see if you like it. I know I personally don't enjoy driving stick, so everyone is different. I've been wanting a Vette lately too, but I really want one with a six speed...auto!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say go for it man. I bought my trans am not that long ago and its the first manual car ive owned. I grew up learning on my dads 70 big block 396 chevelle. I have a stage 3 clutch in my car but it took maybe an hour or so to get used to it. Now its fun as hell to drive. I only drive it on the weekends though. So if this was to be your dd I would invest in an automatic.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright well the vette was sold behind my back... i had was set to see it today and someone beat me to it but i found a 6 speed CETA that has really caught my attention. i just dont know if i wanna sell everything that i have done to my car just for a CETA
Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

If you like your car dude, keep it. Grass isn't always greener on the other side. I went through 4-5 Third Gens, just for "That ones got TPI" "That ones black!" lol I made money all the time, but now that I got the 98, Im investing and keeping it

Although, Id hate to have an A4 in it, I <3 my T56..so that may be enough to make me do it.. lol
Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Go for it, I've had two 6 spd f-body's and I love the T-56. The torque in these cars also makes it easy, and I would imagine the lighter weight of the vette makes that even easier. My Z28 was originally an auto and I swapped it to a 6spd with a puck style clutch, didn't have any problems then either. I learned to drive stick in 20 minutes in a parking lot in a 5 spd 95 firebird lol. I taught my gf to drive it in 10 minutes in a parking lot and had her out on the road shortly after up hill stops and all . And she had been trying to drive a stick shift truck that her brother had for years before that with no luck.. so do the math lol.

About the clutch weight some have referred to, it isn't very bad at all in stock form, and is really what I prefer. One of my friends has a civic with a clutch thats so light it doesn't even feel like you are pressing the pedal.. I hated that and had a hard time driving it -.-

As others mentioned though, drive it and see if you like it first.. shifting gears isn't for everyone.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

DO it. I went from an 04 A4 GTO to an 05 M6. Wayyy better. First manual car and it was easy to learn.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Cobra is a manual and it's easy to drive, first manual trans I ever drove was the T56.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by therobman
dont listen to the guy above autos shouldnt be in street sports cars there so boring nothing like rowing your own gears

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Honestly, you should try it out and see if you like it. I know I personally don't enjoy driving stick, so everyone is different. I've been wanting a Vette lately too, but I really want one with a six speed...auto!

People who like manuals will tell you how much better they are, but it's just their opinion. Just like people who prefer autos will tell you how much better the auto is.

There are some of us that have driven M6s and still don't care for them. I've lived in the 3rd biggest city in this country my entire life, and the traffic makes manuals annoying to me. Personally, I have no issues with shifting, it's the clutch operation that gets boring and bothersome. Manual gear selection autos are a great compromise in that regard, but there is some lag time to get used to with those.

I have not yet driven an '08+ C6, but from what I understand the paddle shifted auto now has much more precise gear control than previous models. In which case, this would be my personal top trans choice for a modern car.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

When I was 15 my dad took me to the highschool parking lot on a weekend when it was deserted. He told me to hop in the driver's seat and started teaching. I didn't tell him that I had already a little practice sneaking his car out for joyrides late at night with a buddy.

Get an experienced stick driver who would be a good instructor and go to a large deserted parking lot and you'll probably pick it up in no time.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You bunch of whinners. My first manual transmission car was a 3 speed on the steering column. You had to work for it.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard those were a pain, having to do what you now do on the floor, on the steering column.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for a street ls1 car. the m6 is the best choice imo. autos are fine and all but theres something about m6 ls car on the street. even stock. its just fun.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
for a street ls1 car. the m6 is the best choice imo. autos are fine and all but theres something about m6 ls car on the street. even stock. its just fun.
I totally agree
Old 01-01-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

different day same question. if your any kind of a driver at all youll learn in ten min. The m6 is a lot more fun. they just feel a lot faster to (although stock they only get a few more ponys to the ground).
Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Disclaimer: Drunken rant ahead. This subject is a pet peeve of mine!

This is the thing - most people, who are not mechanics, have SO MUCH trouble with learning to drive stick, because they don't understand the WHY.

How many times has someone here, tried to teach someone else, to drive a stick.....only to see their pupil become absolutely baffled as to "why does the engine stall if i stop the car in gear? my other car doesn't do that!!!"

You can teach them the motions, but they don't understand what the point of the motion is, so they still cannot properly apply the motion.

The act of driving a manual itself just has this giant bad rap from years of people who simply aren't qualified to breathe, let alone drive, trying at it and failing because they just have no clue whats actually going on under there. Worse, some people do actually learn enough to drive, albeit with some bad habits, and then pass those habits along to anyone else they teach.

I knew a kid once, who had actually been driving stick for years, who said to me, "so wait, like, 5th gear is like when the clutch bites down the hardest to make the car go fastest, right?"

Scary, huh?

As long as you are educated on the basic physical principles of what makes it work, learning to drive a stick is a 15 minute operation, and the only thing you need to get used to are the "feel" parameters of the particular car. Everything from a dirt bike right up to a tractor trailer (I am licensed for those too) can be driven without to much effort, as long as you get whats going on.

Actually, on the subject of driving tractor trailers, I'd totally recommend learning about it at some point. I was able to drive a stickshift car like most, but learning to handle double clutching, straight cut gears, rev matching and "slipping" the gears out of actual necessity made me a much better overall stickshift driver.

Also, and more interesting - knowing those tricks is what will actually put a stick car at a true competitive edge - otherwise, you're just a kid enjoying the benefits of synchros. We've all seen someone upshift their honda furiously to prove that they are faster than an auto.....ever seen the same kid downshift into the oncoming corner properly?

Lack of understanding leads to improper application of technique, leads to failed attempts, phobias, and eventually, mass panic combined with the downfall of western civilization.

No, it isn't hard, and it shouldn't deter you. But take the time and learn how to do it right. Your car, your friends, your gf, and your ***-dyno will all thank you for it!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've taught two non-car-interested girls how to drive stick within 10 mins each on c5's.....
Also, i've been driving stick for sometime, and i know im gonna get grilled for this, but truthfully what is double clutching? clutch in, then shift to neutral, clutch out, then clutch back in, then shift to gear, then clutch back out? Everyone seems to have their own opinion of it. Sounds more complicated then just clutch in, shift to gear, clutch out. And i've never heard the term straight cut gears before, what is it?