General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What would you recommend to buy first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhowdy
What's a fair estimate for paying a shop to install the converter? Or is it a reasonable install? I've seen pictures and it looks beyond what I feel like messing with...
If you don't feel comfortable with it, probably shouldn't attempt.. It isn't the hardest thing but not the easiest.
I have a good friend do mine (owns own trans. shop), he does it for 100$.. But a regular shop would charge much more I'm sure.. I would guess 300?

Originally Posted by xZZx
I wanna get that sound first, if you know what I mean. Don't worry the tq converter isn't forgotten. I'll HAVE to get one if I do a cam swap, which most likely will happen.
A mid 12 car that sounded bone stock would be wicked though... Look at it differently I guess, kinda of a been there done that thing. I would rather want a quiet fast car than a loud fast car.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I got them from a member on here. That's why I said check the classifieds. They're Pacesetter ceramic coated LT's with AIR/EGR with the Y pipe. I sold the Y-pipe a while ago though.
Did they seem to fit pretty well and was the y-pipe catted? I need to pass inspections and such. I'm probably going to be daily driving the car.

****, I REALLY need to do that. Alot of friends, even my dad, are all like......"OHHH YOU SHOULD GET SLP BLAH BLAH". I honestly DO NOT want to spend the money on those.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
A mid 12 car that sounded bone stock would be wicked though... Look at it differently I guess, kinda of a been there done that thing. I would rather want a quiet fast car than a loud fast car.
Well I planned on getting both anyway so it's not like I won't have one but not the other. Don't worry, I'll be doing alot of stuff since a fast LS1 is what I have always wanted lol.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they seem to fit pretty well and was the y-pipe catted? I need to pass inspections and such. I'm probably going to be daily driving the car.

****, I REALLY need to do that. Alot of friends, even my dad, are all like......"OHHH YOU SHOULD GET SLP BLAH BLAH". I honestly DO NOT want to spend the money on those.
You couldn't pay me to put SLP headers/ORY on a car.. If you ever plan on lowering it, you are fucked. Hell my GFs car was stock ride height and she scrapped everywhere.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

You couldn't pay me to put SLP headers/ORY on a car.. If you ever plan on lowering it, you are fucked. Hell my GFs car was stock ride height and she scrapped everywhere.
Yeah I really don't think I am plus as the other guy said, I can buy LT's and y-pipe for a good price/condition on LS1tech.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Pretty good? How about the best...?

since getting a converter you need the shift points tuned, get a basic tune to squeeze some power out, then you can always get a retune later cheaper.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the headers fit great. Y-pipe, not so much. For some reason it didn't fit at all so I had to take it to an exhaust shop and they cut up the Y to make it fit.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Launching!

How much do shift kits usually go for and is it something you can easily do yourself?
Since it involves disassembling and reassembling your transmission I would not recommend installing a shift kit yourself unless you are comfortable taking apart/rebuilding your transmission.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jcobra99
THIS ORDER!!

(1)STALL
(2)Gears
(3)Longtube headers
I AGREE!!!!!! lol
Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the headers fit great. Y-pipe, not so much. For some reason it didn't fit at all so I had to take it to an exhaust shop and they cut up the Y to make it fit.
It was a pacesetter y-pipe correct?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was a pacesetter y-pipe correct?
Thanks for leaving that comment. And I believe it was a Pacesetter Y. Now, I have a TSP ORY (better merge and it cut down a lot of rasp).
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for leaving that comment. And I believe it was a Pacesetter Y. Now, I have a TSP ORY (better merge and it cut down a lot of rasp).
Do you know much about LPP? $800 for a pair of headers and a catted y-pipe isn't a bad deal.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Do you know much about LPP? $800 for a pair of headers and a catted y-pipe isn't a bad deal.
the pacesetter and TSP y-pipe combo is only like $480 on their site. No cats though, that's a little more.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Alot of friends, even my dad, are all like......"OHHH YOU SHOULD GET SLP BLAH BLAH". I honestly DO NOT want to spend the money on those.
I don't blame you, there are other vendors that sell parts that are either just as good if not better and cost less than the SLP stuff.

To stay on topic with your thread, I think you should get a 3200 or 3500 stall and go from there mods wise.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dhowdy
the pacesetter and TSP y-pipe combo is only like $480 on their site. No cats though, that's a little more.
yeah, I live in Texas so I gotta pass emissions and the visual because they look for cats under your car.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, I live in Texas so I gotta pass emissions and the visual because they look for cats under your car.
I thought texas didn't have smog inspection?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

I thought texas didn't have smog inspection?
Well I have a buddy who does inspections and he said I wouldn't pass the "visual" test. I could tune it, obviously, to pass emissions and stuff because when they inspect my car they use some thing that reads codes....or something like that. Only other thing I know the test emissions with is the sniffer but they don't use that on my car. But as far the "visual" I wouldn't pass according to him.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

SUBFRAME CONNECTORS (weld in)
For a SOTP gain you can feel while increasing the structural integrity.
Then add more HP...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my first mod would not be budget minded,go ahead and save for the good stuff youll be way ahead of the game down the road,im with the other guys that said stall,gears,headers and y pipe,headers for me would be 1 of 3,Kooks,QTP,ARH,and their y pipe,dont settle for less!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Teching In

I would steer clear from the UD pulley and MAF.

The UD will nto give you much, if any, noticeable power, and it is a big risk. First off, your car has a lot of electric demands, and when you stress your charging system, you'll notice it perform worse with the UD. For example, driving at night, radio on, foglights on, and you roll down the windows, you'll notice your headlights dim. Sit at idle, and turn your headlights/foglights on, and it might stumble and nearly stall. Some cars don't have a problem with this, even with a UD, a lot do.

The MAF is not a restriction, and will in no way/shape/form give you more power, unless you max it out, which you're not anywhere close to.

HEADERS!!!