General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My car is nothing but problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car is nothing but problems.....

I dont post on here much but I need somewhere to rant. It seems like whenever I work on my car I run into problems. I blew up my trans putting a shift kit in, broke my rear end doing a burnout, busted a lca bolt because my torque wrench was off, and took me 3 days to do my window motor because the regulator detached from the window and well today I tried to put some moog springs in with the the heater hose mod.

Well i got the old ones out easily they were pro kit springs. Tried to muscle the new ones in to see if I could do it without a compressor. Went to rent the spring compressor and it was too bulky to be able to get the spring to get seated at the top. I tried every was possible.

It just seems like its only my car that gives me problems. Whenever im working on someone elses car everything goes as planned or is easily made to work. Does anyone else feel like this? end rant
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Unhappy

well, i just had major motor repairs now my trans is shot.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats part of owning a car bro..

Some days I could give a **** less if someone hit it or bought it for $1500..but somedays..Man I love just geting in it and just to pull it out of the garage just to hear it run..
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Been there before man, once I thought I did a great job porting my MAF and didn know I broke on of the wires in the process, the car didn even run with it plugged in

Another time I was in auto school full time and worked full time and was changing spark plugs when I broke a plug wire in half and my car was down for a week cuz I didn have the time to fix it

While in school one day I changed my pinion seal only to find the inside diameter of the new seal was too big, I put it back together and then pumped diff fluid into the rear end and it proceeded to dump the fluid right back out all over me standing under the car

I've got many others too screwin up is just part of learnin
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

90% of all the projects I've ever done on any one of my cars have had unplanned snags that never should have happened, led to other problems, or just plain ended up being a lot harder and more complicated than I counted on.

Sometimes I think this hobby sucks.
But I always seem to come back for more.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

These threads seem to come up every once in a while lol. Every single time I work on my car I run into issues... that is just how it goes. Hell, last time I changed my oil my BRAND NEW unused oil filter wrench broke just trying to take the filter off and I had to go buy another one lol. I realize that isn't the same as a tranny or a rear, but if you beat on your car you have to expect things to break. That is why I drive like a little old lady 95% of the time, because I can't afford to break it
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

could be worse, you could be 15k into a car and only have the frame done.

Then the economy could tank and you cant afford the $2500 for a LS1 and a 4l60e, only after you buy a LT1 and LS1 that both were misrepresented on ebay.

cheer up buddy, life is full of speed bumps.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by leon phelps
could be worse, you could be 15k into a car and only have the frame done.

Then the economy could tank and you cant afford the $2500 for a LS1 and a 4l60e, only after you buy a LT1 and LS1 that both were misrepresented on ebay.

cheer up buddy, life is full of speed bumps.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

modding cars= lots of wrenching and broken parts.....it comes with the territory. your not the first one and wont be the last who has problems we have all been there.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
well, i just had major motor repairs now my trans is shot.
Im in the same boat. just built a new motor, and now my 4th syncro is out, and the presure plate is going out.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default broke second gear

i was having someone taking photos of me doing some burnouts, and one of the burnouts i broke second gear, you play you pay
Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It definitely gets frustrating at times, especially if a bunch of things break when you are not financially ready for it to happen. Don't give up though, it will get there eventually, and you will feel satisfaction that you overcame all that crap.

If you have another car to drive around, maybe it would be best to just take a break for a little while. Tackle things as you are ready for them. Even just a week without looking at the car might do you some good.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by juicy j
it definitely gets frustrating at times, especially if a bunch of things break when you are not financially ready for it to happen. Don't give up though, it will get there eventually, and you will feel satisfaction that you overcame all that crap.

If you have another car to drive around, maybe it would be best to just take a break for a little while. Tackle things as you are ready for them. Even just a week without looking at the car might do you some good.

Good luck.
+++++1
Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing like something everytime you turn around. Triple A (AAA) sent me a nasty letter saying I was only intitled to 4 tows less than 100 miles year before last. I have towed it around the yard in the summer time so the grass could grow back where it set. I use to call my camaro the Antichrist after that Land Crusier in The Gods must be Crazy Movie.
Just push the @#*&% to the side for awhile is the best advice sometimes.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

The repayment of mashing down the loud pedal almost doesn't seem worth the hassle. Almost. I love watching people install parts or swaps on youtube; I think meself a retard because its never as easy as it seems. Exhaust leak? check. SS header rubbing on k-member? Check. Harsh noises after a spring/shock install? Check. Any time to address noises coming from a daily driver or wherewithall to uninstall headers? Nope. All wounds self inflicted? You bet.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

it happpens to all of us man...i went through 7 slave cylinders from advanced auto..yeah that LIFETIME warranty is only to 7...after that they refund your money..so i fixed that only to have my 2nd 10 bolt grenade the auburn carrier..4 days later..it happens man..thats one reason i try to snag deals wherever i can find em and can afford them..**** happens and if you have some parts around then it helps..if you dont need em keep em clean and you could re sell them..and yes its better to put the car to the side until some *** hat wants to talk all billy bad *** while you are in your DD and thats the motivation i use to fix ****..
Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

some those problems could be installer error.....
then again u might be master certified....

dont get me wrong we will all have problems. just some can be avoided.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I keep running into diff issues, right now I have a mystery bearing or carrier noise. I don't know. When it gets too tough, I take to do a real shop. It makes no sense to waste time and money and have it done wrong by me. I can do alot, but I realize my limits.

It helps having a "oh ****" fund, before modding... but thats how I deal with it. I've dealt with pretty much everything everyone said here.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

thanks for the fish sandwich.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, you dont need a spring compressor for the rears, just unbolt the bottom shock bolts and let the rear drop down enough to slide them in place.

Just like everyone else said, its our hobby in general. You also have to remember, our cars are starting to get up there in age and things are going to want to cooperate very well...like when they are put in a shitty position. Like the engine for example trying to put in/tighen the last header bolt on the passenger side !