General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Keeping car stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is stock & I"m going to leave it that way!! But I"m OLD but still have fun with it !!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

I thought it was going to be easy to keep it stock. What changed my mind was taking it to the track. It was like, ok pretty good time stock, but WHAT IF? I try to do a little at a time. Now I am thinking of dumping a crap load of money into it. The other problem is that all of the new cars have more horsepower stock than ours did a few years ago(even the damn v6's have the same hp) Its fun to mod, but I have learned there is always bigger a faster cars. It is a vicious cycle. You only live once and you can't take it with you, SO ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!! Just my .02
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you think this is the only reason why someone would keep a car (mostly) stock, then you are ignorant.

Many of us here that have owned several highly modified cars of any make/model can tell you that there is a certain level of complication that goes with such a car. Sometimes, with some cars, at certain points in your life, you just don't want to deal with the potential hassles. Sometimes you get lucky; you do a full build and everything goes perfect and nothing breaks for many thousands of miles. Other times, you open a giant can of worms that never closes, and the car becomes nothing but a pain.

With a well maintained stock-to-bolt-on level car, it's almost worry free. There are times when this is very appealing.
Very well said..mine has been an insteresting obstacle course of one thing after another for the past couple of years..

Right now it's pretty much on-point, I have a couple of bugs to work out and a tune adjustment to make, and it will be done till something else decides to break.

I'm considering buying a CTSV, I want a completely stock one, the only thing I'm looking to do to that is a Catback. Then just change the Oil, put Gas in it and go..
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
If you wanted to keep it stock coming on this site was a mistake. Mine was stock for years untill I started coming on here & now I have more money & time invested that I don't even want to think about it lol.

^^^^^ That and hanging with other F-body guys at the track is what fucked up my head

Just do what makes you happy but I bet you will at least do bolt ons or you wouldn't be here
Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

14 years of 100% stock F-body ownership here. My new '96 Formula never saw one mod in my 9 years of ownership and someone bought that nice car down in Gainesville, FL when I sold it. Why do I have a feeling it isn't stock anymore? My new '01 T/A convertible is also 100% stock and I even replaced the battery with a Delco and bought Goodyear GS-D3s to replace the original Goodyear GS-C's. I LOVE stock cars and anyone who says I don't love my F-bodies is in need of a rude awakening. I get constant compliments every time I show it at car club events and shows and many car enthusiasts really like seeing a car as it came from the factory. Better re-sale one day? I don't care because I have no plans to sell. Yes, I only have 19,000 miles on the car but I spread the driving enjoyment equally with my other rides which are also 100% stock including the 911 which is really unusual. Again, people really like seeing the car as it was built at the factory. To each his own. To the OP, do whatever YOU want.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

with how fun it is to mod these cars i dont see how its possible to keep one stock if its your only fun car.My ws6 has 24k miles on it and its got a lot of goodies.What i did is chose mods that wouldnt take the stockish feel from the car,smaller cam,excellent tune so my driveablity is very close to stock.Of course that will all change this year when my midwest chassis 9 inch goes in along with a monster stage 3 clutch,owell its not my DD
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

if you're wanting us to say its rare to find a low mileage ect ect so you should keep it stock you should consider at the end of the day its just another mass produced fun sports car and will not be worth a fortune if you leave it alone

try some boltons and enjoy it...there is too much power that's easy to get to not go for it

lid, headers, dual exhaust, and tune at a minimum so that you not only get a strong runner but now it sounds like a muscle car which adds a lot to the fun of driving them
Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My WS6 has stayed stock since I got it in '03, at one point I put in a K+N panel filter, but went back to paper after the MAF on my GTP got slimmed. Even replacement parts and fluids are all GM/Delco with the exception of the GC Oil. My plan is to keep it that way for its life and if I really get the mod bug, I will prob get another WS6 to mod the hell out of. As mentioned before, a stock car is easy to troubleshoot and reliability is almost excellent(minus window motors).

I always get amazed when you go to car shows and a guy says theyre cars are all stock/original....In certain cases thats 50-75 y/o! I think a lot of things play into whether to mod a car and its all personal preference. I chose to mod my GTP before doing anything to the TA or my Camaro.....funny part about that is Im back to stock on the GTP after a drive down to a buddies wedding with my bitch *** ex gf complaining the car was "giving her a headache cause its tooooo noisey!"
Old 03-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Everyone has made alot of good points for both sides. I think I'm going to put on a few mod's, mostly in the suspension. The car is pretty fast as it is so I don't see a need for power.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
Easy to keep your Ls1 car stock when you have a badass Nova
easy to keep your ls1 car stock when you dont have any money too lol
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with keeping a car stock.

There is something to be said for an unmolested car thats bone stock down to the air filter. Mods can be good, but they have to be done right.

Bolt-ons are nice because they can easily be removed if you wanted to go back to stock. Once you go H/C, boost, ect, you're pretty much going down a one way street, no turning back.

I'm all for mods, but I also like stock driveability. So I'm not a fan of installing a huge cam or a high stall converter.

I'm considering an LS3 swap in the future because it will retain stock driveability, low end power, and fuel economy, while still giving a huge performance gain.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

My 02 SS only has shocks, springs and SFCs. I left the rest stock for the reliability, and also because I felt it was neat having a stock car while everyone else was out modding the crap out of there's. That's why I bought the 70, so i could do an LS1 swap and do all the things I wouldn't do to my 02 to it
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

When I bought my car (like 3 weeks ago lol), it had SLP exhaust and lid, C6 wheels and a few suspension parts. A few days ago, I'm guessing my exhaust hit a bump somewhere or the weld just rusted through and the exhaust separated. I was planning on keeping it as it was, but when that happened, I figured I may as well just upgrade the exhaust and run true dual. If I'm running true dual, then it'd be best to do headers at the same time. Then while I'm doing headers it's recommended to do motor mounts and I'll be removing the EGR and AIR too (love no emission states). So yea, whoever said to stay away from this site if you want stock is right. If it wasn't for this site, or my friend with a 01 Z28, then I would have just gotten the exhaust fixed and enjoyed it as it.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Launching!

i thought i was going to keep my car stock until i started hanging around on the f body forums and joining clubs then the bug bit me, but i'm not taking it to far because i still love the reliability of the LS1. just do some bolt on's for now and get a tune,..Let that LS1 breath!.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

I keep the DD Stock..the only thing I did to that was a TB Bypass.. it's a 1999 Sierra, 5.3l.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

I think keeping it stock is harder to then modding it. My vote would be modd it and have fun. If you mod it I bet you enjoy it twice as much as the guy with a stock car! Nothings better than having power behind your wheels!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I drove my LT1 Formula for several years and didn't do a thing to it. Thought about a CAI, but never got around to it. When I bought the LS1 car, it had 2.73's, so I planned from the get-go to change them out. And then, well, the tranny didn't have the performance shift button like the 94, so a shift kit was necessary. Those considerations led me to do research on the forums, and then one thing led to another ... I've stopped short of a cam, but keep thinking about it.

My brother, on the other hand, had a BGRA ready to install on his WS6. We had the drill in hand, ready to drill out the rivets and take out the baffles, but then he realized at that point there would be no going back. He decided to stay stock and his beautiful WS6 remains as GM built it. There's something to be said for that ...
Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Mines stock except for rims/tires and the spray. There is somthing about a good sleeper. You can mod but appear stock if you like the look. Unless your car is rare and low miles then keeping it stock is nowhere the potential you will achive with some well planned mods. Just be aware mods are like crack try it and your hooked!!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

How many of you guys have just that one car as your DD?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mine for almost 6 years and its still mainly stock. the biggest mods are still stock GM parts (hood and airbox) Other than that i'm running a K&N and an msd cap/rotor and msd wires with better ngk plugs, oh and i added a magnaflow muffler last fall. basically what i call "maintenance mods"

The car is plenty fast enough for me and more of a fun cruiser than a race car. Its been over 5 years since i ran it at the track (ran it 3 times on one night, then failed tech the next time i went back a few months later for the battery tray and haven't gone since)

my car hasn't been my DD for about 3 years.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 03-08-2010 at 12:16 PM.