General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Keeping car stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the factory hurst shifter. Stock SLP exhaust also. I don't see a reason the change the exhaust, sound good and from what I've heard flows pretty well.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If you have SLP dual/dual stock, then yes keep it. That's a good flowing catback.

Otherwise, exhaust is one thing I have to mod, even if I intend to keep a car *mostly* stock. It's a V8, it should sound like one.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Yes, it is a SLP Dual/Dual . Sounds very good. One of my biggest reasons for not modding the car is cost and dependability. I need to get to work, no excuses. $300 ls6 intake, $750 kooks headers, $350 catted y-pipe, $300-$500 for install. I'm looking at spending at least $2000 for an increased chance of blowing up the 10 bolt. I can't justify it.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my Sig plus I did the Throttle Body By-Pass since I don't drive it in the winter (car does run better in hot weather now). Putting down 330HP and 342 Torque at the tires (factory tune).

I have been thinking really hard about Long Tube Headers (technically illegal) but I know after I do that then I would want a mild cam.....then after that....then after that....

Leaving it as is.......but damn them Long Tube headers would make my car sound louder = more fun to drive....
Old 03-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Exactly how I feel. One mod will lead into another and so on. Next thing you know you dropped some serious money. Fun? Yes, worth it, that's highly debatable.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

i wish to god i kept mine stock, no head aches, id have money in the bank and be driving my car as opposed to it on jackstands with not drietrain in it
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circa307
i feel that fbodys are ment to be driven and driven hard. If you want something easy and relaxing to drive go out and get you a cobalt or an accord. i like to have my cars look bad ***. And if it looks bad *** then it sure as hell better run badass. And that means MODS. When your moms car can outrun your 10 yr old fbody its time for mods.
What does your mom drive?

No matter, how ever fast you are there is always someone faster!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
This is exactly why I stopped playing the "catch-up" game. If I mod a car, it's only because *I* think that it needs to be faster to satisfy *me*. I will never again mod a car just because someone else can beat me or is faster. If you were to follow that logic, then you'd have to mod yourself to the point of having a 6 or 7 second street car, otherwise you still might get beat. Frankly I just don't see the point in worring about this stuff any more....
Old 03-13-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
Exactly, I never have and never will mod a car just to be faster than someone else. I do it because I enjoy it. Unless you are making enough money with the car to cover the costs of mods and then some, it's just not worth it.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01formula6
Exactly, I never have and never will mod a car just to be faster than someone else. I do it because I enjoy it. Unless you are making enough money with the car to cover the costs of mods and then some, it's just not worth it.
My sentiments exactly!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I tried. I really did. Four months later and I've got a cam/pushrods/dual springs, supercharger, high flow oil pump, headers/x-pipe, and on, and on.

I had originally planned on just doing "stock swap" mods..parts from other LS cars that are upgrades to what I have (had). (LS7 exh manifolds, Z51 sway bars, etc...)

But it has gone far and away from that and now puts 600 to the wheels. I just couldn't help myself. LOL!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is exactly why I stopped playing the "catch-up" game. If I mod a car, it's only because *I* think that it needs to be faster to satisfy *me*. I will never again mod a car just because someone else can beat me or is faster. If you were to follow that logic, then you'd have to mod yourself to the point of having a 6 or 7 second street car, otherwise you still might get beat. Frankly I just don't see the point in worring about this stuff any more....
I have the same personal philosophy. Luckily I'm only 23 years old, which I'm glad this is the case as it seems that it takes people well over 23 to eventually feel the same way.

Almost everyone else that is my age, aka most of my friends that are "car guys" definitely don't see this the same. Once somebody does a power mod the other guy tries to top the other person just to say "I'm faster." We're out of high school guys, lol
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I drove mine for about 6 months before I did my first mods. Like many, I started out with a catback, and hmmm... sounded better, so I threw on a lid, alright, now... how bout I make it sound a little better, so some headers. Then, went to the strip... alright, how bout some suspension parts, and on and on and on it goes.

I DD'd mine for the first 2 years I've owned it and kept slowly adding to it. Last 2, aside from sitting for over half a year I've actually haven't touched it. Now though, I'm starting to fiddle with it again and drove it for the first time a few weeks ago and now I'm already a few hundred poorer, the bug is back!