General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Rant and rave

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinR
Holy crap!!!!

That's what I said.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

How the hell did you get that far in debt..?

I would say you took a loan from the Mob, but you are still walking..
Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time i was at speed inc, a guy was answering the phones and when he was done he said... "It's crazy, some people will spend there last dime on car parts or say i'll have to wait til i get paid before i order" lol i said yeah thats true but i've done the same My bills are always first but after that its on! I sometimes wonder how much money i could have if i didnt spend it on toy's... but a life without toy's is no life at all in my book.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
How the hell did you get that far in debt..?

I would say you took a loan from the Mob, but you are still walking..

Bought 3 cars, all on open lines of credit. None with a lean. . . . . Went to Vegas every 3 moths, took a major vacation once a year.

Dumped 10k into my last car. . . . .

Bought everything and anything I could find. . . Switched out to the newest cell phone right when it came out. . . ****, I spent probably about 3-5k on cell phone in 4 years. . .

Went out, 3-4 times a week. . . . . I never thought I could see this money money on paper owed. . .

Live and learn, I guess. . . .Expensive lesson though. . . As of now I am 99% debt free. . .
Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

I know what you mean. I spend 99.9% of my time window shopping mods.
I have to worry about retirement at 62 because maybe I can't afford the health insurance.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

There are a lot of us in the same boat. I'm a junior in college. Also, when I buy something for my car I have to get something for the ol' lady to balance it out and not get in trouble. What's even worse is that last year I had to start all over with a new car because my 94 formula was sandwiched in half at a red light.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by samson_420
Live and learn, I guess. . . .Expensive lesson though. . . As of now I am 99% debt free. . .
How did you manage that and how long did it take?!?

Edit: so that means you are now $3300 in debt. If i was in debt that much I would crap myself.

To the OP. I am also a mechanic (or automotive technician, as i like to say) and I am always broke and can never buy parts for my car. I am getting very impatient, but am now just waiting on my tax returns to buy some headers!!

Last edited by NastyNate65; 03-25-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
How did you manage that and how long did it take?!?

Edit: so that means you are now $3300 in debt. If i was in debt that much I would crap myself.

To the OP. I am also a mechanic (or automotive technician, as i like to say) and I am always broke and can never buy parts for my car. I am getting very impatient, but am now just waiting on my tax returns to buy some headers!!

It took 5 years. . . . I am in debt 5,700 Dollars for the remainder of my school loan. It can not be cleared during a Bankruptcy.

I do take blame for what happened, but a eX wife that loved to spend what we did not have sure did help also.

Now, I feel different. . . . . It drove me pretty nuts for while knowing that I was that far in debt. . . .

Now, I prioritize. . . .
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm married with a kid so i know how tight money gets when it comes to modding. all i can say is save, save, save. and for those with college loans or anyone for that matter, don't go deeper into debt by using credit cards to buy parts. save up and buy your parts a piece at a time. if you go deeper in debt by using credit cards, that creates "money problems" which is one of the main reasons families fall apart and your family is not worth trading for a modded car.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah family an bills always come first, that's why I have waited 8 years to even purchase my cam, and I also got whatever parts I could along the way! Lol I could have had it sooner but I got other supporting mods to help when I do install the cam. Cars and parts gome and go but family is definatly more important, you on get one of them. It's just trying to find the right balance! Espically for someone who is car crazy! Lol
Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,211 Posts

My wife and I stay debt free by not having kids. At our income level (or at least before I became unemployed last fall) we've been able to live a good life and build a considerable amount of savings, while still buying plenty of cars and parts. But, if we had kids at this same income level, it would all be different; either no savings or no cars/parts. We decided a long time ago that parenthood was not for us.....we've never regretted it either.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

First of all..Nice Nova^^^ Yeah i've also done the one mod at a time thing, well maybe two or three at a time also..lol But i kinda wish i would have just focused more on paying it off first then saving for mods later. Like some of the builds other guys have posted on here. Would have been sweet to go from a bone stock car to a fully modded one in a week or so
Old 03-26-2010, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FHPB4C
I will say this, being married w/ or with out kids is still tough. my better half freaks when i blow my dough on my ride. I want to go back to school also...I think a good way to go is become a resident in california and go to a state school for free! That way you still have money to mod. (i know the inspections are a bitch but we all know how to get around that, lol.)
and I bet she doesn't see any problem when she goes out and spends $500 on a couple pairs of jeans/shoes.

Originally Posted by ska4life07
There are a lot of us in the same boat. I'm a junior in college. Also, when I buy something for my car I have to get something for the ol' lady to balance it out and not get in trouble. What's even worse is that last year I had to start all over with a new car because my 94 formula was sandwiched in half at a red light.
that's why you find a girl that doesn't expect anything from you. I don't buy my girlfriend ****. lol. if I ever started dating a girl who got mad at me for buying car parts, she'd be gone like that.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pber13
and I bet she doesn't see any problem when she goes out and spends $500 on a couple pairs of jeans/shoes.

that's why you find a girl that doesn't expect anything from you. I don't buy my girlfriend ****. lol. if I ever started dating a girl who got mad at me for buying car parts, she'd be gone like that.
You probably should never consider getting married, my friend.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really shouldn't complain. I've managed to add the majority of the modifications to my car over just the past couple years.

But... in 2007 the GF of a year , at the time, decided to move in with me where I was renting a house. "Great!", I thought, "We'll be splitting the bills and I'll have a **** ton of cash to spend on whatever I want."

Wrong! Three months later, instead of "wasting" money on renting, we decided to buy a house. The house had no garage whatsoever, but did come with quite a bit of land. Needing a place to keep all the vehicles, as well as somewhere to work on them, my brother and I decided we would have a 40x60 shop built. So I went from just paying rent and utilities (all my vehicles are paid for) to having a house payment, a shop payment, property insurance, property taxes, and the joys of fixing whatever breaks in MY new home and not to mention all the everyday **** like food, gas, and utilities.

On top of this, somehow I got the idea that getting the GF a ring was a good idea and now we also have a wedding to plan and pay for by September of this year.

No kids yet, but I know thats on the horizon, adding yet another expense that will take away from the performance parts fund.

I know my life isn't rough, but I know what you mean when you say you have the "itch" and can't find the scratch to do anything about it.

I'll tell you what, though. When I finally have all everything paid off, my car is gonna be one fast sonofabitch. LOL
Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KevinR
You probably should never consider getting married, my friend.
yes, yes I know!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My wife and I stay debt free by not having kids. At our income level (or at least before I became unemployed last fall) we've been able to live a good life and build a considerable amount of savings, while still buying plenty of cars and parts. But, if we had kids at this same income level, it would all be different; either no savings or no cars/parts. We decided a long time ago that parenthood was not for us.....we've never regretted it either.
I'm with you man. I'm on the fence about marriage as it is, but kids....no way!! I decided LONG ago that kids weren't for me.

Not only are they incredibly expensive, but also there goes any freedom you had left...ever decide to go out with the wife at the last minute or go away for the weekend? Nope, not gonna happen with kids running around.

Plus, I like to think of it as my own little way of being green...there are way too many people on the planet as it is, I don't want to contribute to that.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well i'm not in school but I have a pretty good job for my area just got done getting mine worked ( new motor) but I have a kid on the way in july so..... it's gonna slow down a bit
Old 03-27-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My wife and I stay debt free by not having kids.
Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I'm with you man. I'm on the fence about marriage as it is, but kids....no way!! I decided LONG ago that kids weren't for me.
When you pass away, who do you plan to leave your car(s) to?

My brother thinks he doesn't ever want children, either. I asked him this question, and he couldn't give me answer.

I'm not disrespecting your decision. Children are a GIANT responsibility and I can understand not wanting to be tied down by that. But I can't think of any better person to leave my cars (and other cool stuff) to than my future son or daughter. Hopefully they will enjoy them as much as I have.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am most certainly in the same situation as well. I had a very clean 95 Z28 that had only 70k on it when I sold it 3 years ago. I sold it to buy an LS1 car. Had a clean 99 Z28 with 60k on it, sold that a month later for my current SS and a car payment. I had just graduated college, living at home with the parents, already had a DD for the winter, so I was thinking I could swing the SS. I had the money then since I was working full time and living at home. That ended shortly.

Had to start paying on my student loans, moved in with the gf, had to take a lower paying job as well. I did all the mods to the SS right after I bought it and was living at home. I now live with my new gf and have a baby due NEXT month! Talk about stressful. I live in a townhome that we are renting, should have gotten a cheaper apartment. I live paycheck to paycheck and it blows. I have no money left over after I pay all my bills. I have no money to fix anything if it breaks. I contemplate selling my car about once a month. I couldn't let it go though. Sometimes I wish I didn't have that car payment each month though and wish I would have kept one of my previous Camaros.

I recently did get a better paying job and everything is starting to turn around. Just have to keep your head up. Life has it's ups and downs for sure.

Quick Reply: Rant and rave