General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

met a cool guy with a SWEET car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont see how the vehicle running makes any difference. The vehicle running does not cause gas pump fires, things like static electricity and cell phones maybe, but the vehicle running - what about it being on would be so different from being off???
Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 7th Darkness
I just dont see how the vehicle running makes any difference. The vehicle running does not cause gas pump fires, things like static electricity and cell phones maybe, but the vehicle running - what about it being on would be so different from being off???
none of you seriously sees a problem with running a vehicle while pumping MORE flammable liquid into it? honestly? seems like Natural Selection needs to intervene a tad more often. phones could blow you up if something sparked, or any static hit the gas fumes and ignited them. anything happens to go wrong with your car, and boom. what possible reason would you have to leave your car running for those couple of minutes anyway?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pber13
none of you seriously sees a problem with running a vehicle while pumping MORE flammable liquid into it? honestly? seems like Natural Selection needs to intervene a tad more often. phones could blow you up if something sparked, or any static hit the gas fumes and ignited them. anything happens to go wrong with your car, and boom. what possible reason would you have to leave your car running for those couple of minutes anyway?
OMG, lets all run in panic and never go to the gas pump again. Lets get real I have other things to worry about than leaving my car running at the pump.

What if this and what if that to death with any situation.

Lets put up lead walls around the pumps so people driving by the pump going to park who are talking on there cell phones dont blow my pump up. Or maybe I should have to wear a body suit grounded so that I dont risk static electricity, and instead of driving my car into the gas station, I will disconnect the battery, turn off my cell phone, and push my car to where I can pump the gas....

Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, if he bought it used the build cost could easily exceed the initial purchase price, I know I have more money in my car than I paid for it (35K vs 28K) and I haven't even built the trans/diff yet.

i don't see the car putting down over 700 on motor, but maybe he is spraying. I am putting down over 700 on spray and my engine is a lot smaller than his. and if someone asks me how much, i always quote the maximum..... :-) That's what they are looking for anyways. no use talking about area under the curve, lol.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said it was a typo and it was really 615, I can def. see that out of the combo he stated.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Teching In

A running car or even a cell phone can be an ignition source. If there was a spill from perhaps a hose breaking or someone overfilling and the nozzle does not shut off.

Please shut off your vehicle when fueling. You don't want to be a crispy critter and I'm sure you would not want to fry everyone else around you.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the pumping gas stuff...how about I be devils advocate? If you work construction near pipelines you know that if you hit a line you DO NOT shut off the equipment because when you disconnect the ignition switch it creates a spark and could ignite a flammable atmosphere. It's fairly common practice to shut the equipment off any as soon as you hit the line, mostly because you haven't created a flammable atmosphere yet...BUT that couldn't necessarily be true of the area around a gas station. So...which is safer really?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

This is hilarious...... Guys.... are yall actually Arguing over whether or not to pump gas with car running or not??!!! Who gives a ****?? sorry stupid question... I see Some of you care too much.... I need yalls Time.... yall apparently have too much of it.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How did this thread turn into a discussion over how to pump gas. I hate LS1tech now
Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pber13
When a car is running, there is gas in the tank. When you're pumping gas into the car, there is still gas in the tank. Whats the difference with the car being on?

Think of it as a styrofoam cup with a small hole in it. the liquid is leaving the cup (tank) and at the same time, you're puring liquid in the cup to keep it full. Does it really matter is liquid is leaving the cup? it is ending up in the same place anyway.

I just don't see how that could cause any type of explosion...
Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The reasoning is simple. Insurance policies. One idiot somewhere left his car running, and a spark from his clothing or a short in his electrical system, ignited gasoline vapors causing a fire to result. SO, the man then sued the store because their pumps caught on fire, even though it was probably something wrong with his car as mentioned or freak accident. So now they put those signs up, so when/if a pump does ignite, if they saw you had your car running, they can say "We had signs that say turn off your cars, and your car was on you broke our policy so were not paying.

Cell phones also have been known to spontaneously combust especially when using these newer Li-Ion Batteries. This could cause an open fire obviously, and gasoline fumes are very explosive. And I'm sure again, a phone blew up, caught the pump on fire, and they sued the gas station and the phone company and so that little "don't use cell phones" rule came into affect to again, save THEIR asses in case of a freak accident.

The only sign I agree with at the pump is the (No Smoking) signs because lets face it, that one could actually cause a problem.

Scenario A: Man is fueling up is car, has a little spill onto the ground where 3 other cars before him have made a small puddle of gasoline at very busy gas station.

Next car rolls through, driver gets out with cigarette in his mouth, begins fueling, fuels his car up and before removing the handle, throws cigarette down into puddle of fuel. Then grabs handle and again leaky pump handle leaks more fuel upon lit cigarette and before you know it you have a flash fire..... THAT is actually a LOT more common then the static discharge from clothing, electrical short or the cell phone incidents.....that is the only one I see being a cause for alarm...

That's my .02 and like I was saying to sum up, its for insurance reasons...
Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

holy ******* christ people. how did this go from debating on wether or not the car runs on 12 to 1 to pumping gas with its running???

i dont see 12 to 1 being a problem. SCR is only half the equation. if your cam is setup properly and you dont have 5.3 heads on a 4.250 bore you will be fine...DCR and quench come into play. a 12:1 static and a 8.75 to 1 dynamic is perfectly fine for pump gas.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
First of all, if he bought it used the build cost could easily exceed the initial purchase price, I know I have more money in my car than I paid for it (35K vs 28K) and I haven't even built the trans/diff yet.
Originally Posted by Ferg95 T/A
He said that he has payed more for the work on the car than he did for the car brand new...
Yeah, reading comprehension can be a real bitch...
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Think of it as a styrofoam cup with a small hole in it. the liquid is leaving the cup (tank) and at the same time, you're puring liquid in the cup to keep it full. Does it really matter is liquid is leaving the cup? it is ending up in the same place anyway.
Actually, the gas would melt the styrofoam cup

No for real tho, I don't get this fear of explosion while your car is running. It is an internal combustion engine. MAYYYYYBBBBEEEE a fire, but an explosion?? We're dealing with gas not dynamite. Don't believe everything you see in movies people.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

I can easily see that this !!! Do you guys think that the power is possible out of that motor? I do!! I believe him
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

I usually pump my gas straight into the injectors, with the car running.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin455
Eh, the CEL will go back off the moment you put the gas cap back on so you'll most likely never know.
Not really, the CEL doesnt work like that. If you have a bed 02 sensor and replace it does the CEL go off right when you start the car? nope, it has to go through a full cycle for the CPU to realize the problem is fixed (usually 30-60 miles)
Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Not really, the CEL doesnt work like that. If you have a bed 02 sensor and replace it does the CEL go off right when you start the car? nope, it has to go through a full cycle for the CPU to realize the problem is fixed (usually 30-60 miles)
This is true when replacing a sensor yes...all the parts need to get to know eachother, and that takes a bit.

When you have the "gas cap" code, pretty much as soon as you fix the problem, the light is gone. Gas cap off, light on...gas cap on, light off. It's simple.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I havent read thru all the posts, but there are some crazy hp cars out there. I was at House of Boost last night getting my car tuned and they had a blower laid out in their showroom and I asked what it was going in. They said it was taking off a C6 vette that was putting down around 630 rwhp or something, but the owner wasn't satisfied so he came to them. They showed me the dyno of that C6 after they changed the blower and it made 1103 rwhp!!! They said the blower could of made more, but the owner was "on a budget" and did not want to spend extra money on the bottom end at the time....but funny thing is, apparently he is bringing the car back to get more work done, guess he is ready to blow his budget....

They also did the build that won King of the Street this year, a mustang that made just over 1000 hp at the event.

http://www.houseofboost.com/features/1300hp_z06.html

Here is a video of it.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

ok? but does it run on pump gas?