General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

met a cool guy with a SWEET car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the mustang ran on e85

I believe the vette runs on pump gas, but I'll ask next time I go in. They said it was streetable as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a guy with a build BBC on a huge shot and a loose convertor that ran 8's in the quarter and would drive it to the track now and again. But is that streetable? Nah. What is streetable? Its whatever...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder if this is the car. https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...y-results.html
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
ok? but does it run on pump gas?
more than likely. its blown so probably around 8.5:1 SCR.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
I think that may be it!!!! He said that he got it done at a place in Cumming GA. I said I know where Cumming GA is....my aunt lives there...GREAT FIND
Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think anyone can tell if thats a serious question
Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Yeah, its a serious question. I see people do it all the time. Why would it be bad?
Originally Posted by Ferg95 T/A
Read the signs next time you are pumping gas...it specifically says turn the car OFF
Ask yourself why they're there. Will something bad happen if you pump gas with the car on?

You're still not answering my question...
you usually discharge the static when you exit and touch the car. I'm gonna guess that is is possible that some kind of electrical charge could pass through the car, and since it wont exit through the ground (due to tires), it will travel through the gas pump, which in turn could spark, which could cause a fire.
Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Either way, guy sounds like either a complete liar or a complete idiot.

Engine build > Cost of a new C5z =Idiot/liar.
Originally Posted by Charlay
Better safe then Boom ... turn off the car. Plus save a little gas while your pumping gas .. its quieter ... and if your camming .. you want to be able to talk to the hot girl that is walking up .. not making her scream.
I just never ever heard of a car going kaboom because of pumping with the car on. To me, its equivalent to the myth that a car will also catch on fire when a cell phone is used while pumping gas.
Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I always thought it was common sense to turn the car off while pumping gas considering at EVERY pump it says "please turn your engine off before fueling" And no its not a myth it can really happen (slim chance but still can happen) and with cars now a days the fuel system is pressurized and has sensors in it like everything else in modern cars so it could set off a CEL. If you google it you will find a ton more informaiton.
Originally Posted by justin455
Eh, the CEL will go back off the moment you put the gas cap back on so you'll most likely never know.

I sometimes don't turn off my car, it's not a big deal to me. Sure there's a chance something could happen, but it's like a "I got struck by lightning on a cloudless day" chance.

If anyone ever says anything, I'd just reply "It's ok, the thousands of explosions happening are internal!"
Originally Posted by 7th Darkness
Ive been pumping gas with my vehicles running for the last 10 years...????
Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
I saw a video of a guy pumping gas with his car on, it blew up. Burned flesh doesnt heal the way its supposed to, so I just turn mine off.
I just dont see how the vehicle running makes any difference. The vehicle running does not cause gas pump fires, things like static electricity and cell phones maybe, but the vehicle running - what about it being on would be so different from being off???
Originally Posted by pber13
none of you seriously sees a problem with running a vehicle while pumping MORE flammable liquid into it? honestly? seems like Natural Selection needs to intervene a tad more often. phones could blow you up if something sparked, or any static hit the gas fumes and ignited them. anything happens to go wrong with your car, and boom. what possible reason would you have to leave your car running for those couple of minutes anyway?
OMG, lets all run in panic and never go to the gas pump again. Lets get real I have other things to worry about than leaving my car running at the pump.

What if this and what if that to death with any situation.

Lets put up lead walls around the pumps so people driving by the pump going to park who are talking on there cell phones dont blow my pump up. Or maybe I should have to wear a body suit grounded so that I dont risk static electricity, and instead of driving my car into the gas station, I will disconnect the battery, turn off my cell phone, and push my car to where I can pump the gas....

Originally Posted by cabolew
A running car or even a cell phone can be an ignition source. If there was a spill from perhaps a hose breaking or someone overfilling and the nozzle does not shut off.

Please shut off your vehicle when fueling. You don't want to be a crispy critter and I'm sure you would not want to fry everyone else around you.
Originally Posted by FormulaZR
As for the pumping gas stuff...how about I be devils advocate? If you work construction near pipelines you know that if you hit a line you DO NOT shut off the equipment because when you disconnect the ignition switch it creates a spark and could ignite a flammable atmosphere. It's fairly common practice to shut the equipment off any as soon as you hit the line, mostly because you haven't created a flammable atmosphere yet...BUT that couldn't necessarily be true of the area around a gas station. So...which is safer really?
When a car is running, there is gas in the tank. When you're pumping gas into the car, there is still gas in the tank. Whats the difference with the car being on?

Think of it as a styrofoam cup with a small hole in it. the liquid is leaving the cup (tank) and at the same time, you're puring liquid in the cup to keep it full. Does it really matter is liquid is leaving the cup? it is ending up in the same place anyway.

I just don't see how that could cause any type of explosion...
Originally Posted by baalic
The reasoning is simple. Insurance policies. One idiot somewhere left his car running, and a spark from his clothing or a short in his electrical system, ignited gasoline vapors causing a fire to result. SO, the man then sued the store because their pumps caught on fire, even though it was probably something wrong with his car as mentioned or freak accident. So now they put those signs up, so when/if a pump does ignite, if they saw you had your car running, they can say "We had signs that say turn off your cars, and your car was on you broke our policy so were not paying.

Cell phones also have been known to spontaneously combust especially when using these newer Li-Ion Batteries. This could cause an open fire obviously, and gasoline fumes are very explosive. And I'm sure again, a phone blew up, caught the pump on fire, and they sued the gas station and the phone company and so that little "don't use cell phones" rule came into affect to again, save THEIR asses in case of a freak accident.

The only sign I agree with at the pump is the (No Smoking) signs because lets face it, that one could actually cause a problem.

Scenario A: Man is fueling up is car, has a little spill onto the ground where 3 other cars before him have made a small puddle of gasoline at very busy gas station.

Next car rolls through, driver gets out with cigarette in his mouth, begins fueling, fuels his car up and before removing the handle, throws cigarette down into puddle of fuel. Then grabs handle and again leaky pump handle leaks more fuel upon lit cigarette and before you know it you have a flash fire..... THAT is actually a LOT more common then the static discharge from clothing, electrical short or the cell phone incidents.....that is the only one I see being a cause for alarm...

That's my .02 and like I was saying to sum up, its for insurance reasons...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Vengance does good **** from what I hear, there is a vette here that is off the chain
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Some cars will throw out an SES light if pumped while running. I did it once with my VW and got a SES light after driving for 5 mins.. went to AutoZone n had ti cleared tho lol!

Vince
Old 04-29-2010, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

The guy you talked to is not a liar lol... He is as honest as they come... Vengeance Racing 440 LS7 Stroker... Makes 600/560 to the tires on pump gas thru FULL exhaust...

No comment on pumping fuel with the car running
Old 04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
The guy you talked to is not a liar lol... He is as honest as they come... Vengeance Racing 440 LS7 Stroker... Makes 600/560 to the tires on pump gas thru FULL exhaust...

No comment on pumping fuel with the car running
Hey Ron I was wondering if you can remember that car? Was it red? And was the guy from North Alabama? Just wondering if you remember. So maybe everyone won't be throwing the BS flag on me
Old 04-29-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I always leave my car running when I pump, that way when I go in to prepay some D-bag has a chance to steal my car. Then he can deal with the money grabbing B*tch. Then I can focus all my money on my girl...which come to think of, I still have to prepay for before I can pump.

Last edited by velox65; 04-29-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Retarded iphone predictive text
Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by velox65
I always leave my car running when I pump, that way when I go in to prepay some D-bag has to chance to steal my car. Then he can deal with the money grabbing B*tch. Then I can focus all my money on my girl...which come to think of, I still have to prepay for before I can pump.
i usually make my girl pay after im done pumping........gas
Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

HAHA velox I'm quoting that if you don't mind in my sig.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00RedMaro
HAHA velox I'm quoting that if you don't mind in my sig.
Sure no problem
Old 04-30-2010, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

Yessir I remember him well. Just talked to him last week about upgrading to a 102 LSXR actually....

His C5 is red.

His initials are E B

Originally Posted by Ferg95 T/A
Hey Ron I was wondering if you can remember that car? Was it red? And was the guy from North Alabama? Just wondering if you remember. So maybe everyone won't be throwing the BS flag on me
Old 04-30-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Yessir I remember him well. Just talked to him last week about upgrading to a 102 LSXR actually....

His C5 is red.

His initials are E B
Thanks...I am glad that someone backs up my story...so lets if the gets thrown
Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

His initials are E B
Eddie Bauer?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

This title sounds a little ghey.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

After filling my tank with the engine running I like to spray a little ON the engine, get some corrosion resistantance and get a little in the intake too for some cool revs.

Seriously though, its one of those things why risk it? Unless you have a diesel or its below zero why leave it running?

BTW thats a sweet Vette!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Not that this thread isn't already 75% off topic, but stop with the hijacking posts about pumping with the car turned on.

I love stopping at a gas station and pulling up beside a bad *** ride. I bet that C5 sounded like a beast.