General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Now I hear that GM released several STOCK Z28s with the LS6 block!?!? What?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ls6 blocks have a slight performance edge. with the revised bottom"tunnels" it gives the block better cylinder to cylinder breathing, and when it is trying to accululate positive pressure in the case, it is more easily evacuated than a conventional ls1, therefore creating more hp.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobsmyuncle
ls6 blocks have a slight performance edge. with the revised bottom"tunnels" it gives the block better cylinder to cylinder breathing, and when it is trying to accululate positive pressure in the case, it is more easily evacuated than a conventional ls1, therefore creating more hp.
Is there any written, published data to support this?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car came with the entire LS6 engine from the factory...in 2004.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by myk
Quote from Wikipedia:
The LS6 shares its basic block architecture with the GM LS1 engine, but other changes were made to the design such as windows cast into the block between cylinders, improved main web strength and bay to bay breathing, an intake manifold and MAF-sensor with higher flow, a camshaft with higher lift and more duration, a higher compression ratio, sodium filled valves, and a revised oiling system better suited to high lateral acceleration.

LS6 intake manifolds were also used on all 2001-2002 ls1 engines.

The casting number, located on the top rear edge of the block, is 12561168.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friends brothers uncles sisters aunts nephews cousins dad told me i have a complete ls6, or maybe it was an ls7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, im the only stock 11 second fbody everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

this kind of thing does pop up often, but the search function should clear all of that up.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
No, there is absolutely zero data that shows any real horsepower benefit from an LS6 block alone.

Theory is great, but in the real world your LS1 is going to run the same traps and dyno the same whether you have an LS1 or LS6 block (assuming all else is equal).
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im pretty sure he just posted a source for the info?? so yes there IS. ive seen it more places than one, on the first page u can even see the pictures to support it. No, nobody has swapped blocks and dynoed, but it will yield some amount of horsepower. id put money on that.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
Quote from Wikipedia:
The LS6 shares its basic block architecture with the GM LS1 engine, but other changes were made to the design such as windows cast into the block between cylinders, improved main web strength and bay to bay breathing, an intake manifold and MAF-sensor with higher flow, a camshaft with higher lift and more duration, a higher compression ratio, sodium filled valves, and a revised oiling system better suited to high lateral acceleration.

LS6 intake manifolds were also used on all 2001-2002 ls1 engines.

The casting number, located on the top rear edge of the block, is 12561168.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
im pretty sure he just posted a source for the info?? so yes there IS. ive seen it more places than one, on the first page u can even see the pictures to support it. No, nobody has swapped blocks and dynoed, but it will yield some amount of horsepower. id put money on that.
You are really going to consider wikipedia as a source? lol. Better oiling will not yield any power on a dyno. I'd put money on that. The oil passages were added so that cars that were used for auto racing (ex. auto cross) wouldn't have to worry about oil not getting to the necessary places. It was not designed to increase any power, and it doesn't.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, anyone with a keyboard can go on to wikipedia and edit information as they see fit. Wikipedia is about as truthful as a woman and as reliable as an LT1 'opti...
Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next someone is going to say how a K&N airfilter has statistics to prove it adds hp and better airflow.. Seriously guys, the "benefit" of the block may be there, but it is so minute that it isnt even worth mentioning. Maybe your getting a extra 1 or 2hp out of having the block cause it flows better? I'm not sure, but whatever the case it still is so minute that it's easier to just say its just a god damn block, not heads, or intake manifold, or anything else that actually does improve power. We should make a thread about this a sticky so people would not have to ask this every now and then.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Meh, My uncles *lol yes i know* 35th anv Hawk made like... 347 rwhp from the factory. Talk about damn freaks... And killed that car... Damnit.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 406malibu
You are really going to consider wikipedia as a source? lol. Better oiling will not yield any power on a dyno. I'd put money on that. The oil passages were added so that cars that were used for auto racing (ex. auto cross) wouldn't have to worry about oil not getting to the necessary places. It was not designed to increase any power, and it doesn't.
I just quoted an available source of info, thats all.
Revisit my original question... this HP gain debate is actually off topic.
As for your statement, with all due respect... windage tray **cough** crankshaft wipers **cough** proven HP gains.

Originally Posted by NemeSS
I agree

Originally Posted by myk
FYI, anyone with a keyboard can go on to wikipedia and edit information as they see fit. Wikipedia is about as truthful as a woman and as reliable as an LT1 'opti...
Probably isn't the best analogy on reliability... my 94 Z28's Optispark developed carbon tracks and crapped out after the weep hole on the water pump took a **** on it. Took me 3 hours to replace that SOB and the water pump (damn dowel alignment). The 97 vented Opti was way more reliable.

Originally Posted by fccs
Next someone is going to say how a K&N airfilter has statistics to prove it adds hp and better airflow.. Seriously guys, the "benefit" of the block may be there, but it is so minute that it isnt even worth mentioning. Maybe your getting a extra 1 or 2hp out of having the block cause it flows better? I'm not sure, but whatever the case it still is so minute that it's easier to just say its just a god damn block, not heads, or intake manifold, or anything else that actually does improve power. We should make a thread about this a sticky so people would not have to ask this every now and then.
My original post had nothing to do with what you commented on. Revisit for clarification.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
Probably isn't the best analogy on reliability... my 94 Z28's Optispark developed carbon tracks and crapped out after the weep hole on the water pump took a **** on it. Took me 3 hours to replace that SOB and the water pump (damn dowel alignment). The 97 vented Opti was way more reliable.
Actually it's a very good analogy.
Opti = FAIL
Wiki citing = FAIL

YOU = FAIL

However, I've never found a fault in anything I've used wiki for
Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Thanks for the comments from the peanut gallery lol
Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread sucks. OP, I can see how you might feel a little singled out right now, but it's well deserved.

A 3 second search would have amassed a world of knowledge on this subject, thus saving everyone from having to explain it once again.
No one really likes someone with a "better than you" attitude as shown in your so much more mature posts. Especially when the heckling you are receiving is the LS1Tech equivalent of a 6 year old calling you a poo poo head.

Man up and
Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myk
Wikipedia is about as truthful as a woman and as reliable as an LT1 'opti...
I found this quite humoring.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

im pretty sure he just posted a source for the info??
No, he didn't. First off, that "source" isn't the be-all end-all of information. Second, let's say that info is 100% correct; even still there is nothing in that quote that points to a measureable increase in horsepower in any pratical application.

so yes there IS. ive seen it more places than one, on the first page u can even see the pictures to support it.
Again, I see no evidence that supports *power increases* from an LS6 block.

No, nobody has swapped blocks and dynoed, but it will yield some amount of horsepower. id put money on that.
I'll take that bet. Since you've suggested it and are so certain, go ahead and find someone willing to be the dyno test mule. Then, we'll do 3 pulls with each block (all else being identicle), take an average, and if the difference is more than the dyno's margin of error, you win. If not, I win.

In the mean time, I'm locking this because the meter is going off the charts in this thread.

Quick Reply: Now I hear that GM released several STOCK Z28s with the LS6 block!?!? What?!?!