General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is the better aluminum intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
Wait WTF! Why am I being the one that's getting jumped on?

bww- I never really disagreed with anything you said other than yes heat does effect the car a good bit. I never said it was directly related to heatsoak of the intake just your point that we'd lose power going from spring to summer air. We do. My second paragraph was just an idea to put the debate to rest. I also pointed out to the other guy that a supercharged cobras "heatsoak" issuse have nothing to do with that of a LS1

VTEC- Yup when this noob used to go rounds in the LT1 we would have to come right back to the staging lanes and have about 15mins between runs. It did effect me. If it was heatsoak or not the car would drop off. I do recall saying that's what I always figured it was but never said "beyond a shadow of a doubt my car heatsoaked and cost me time."

Bust my ***** if you want but you really have to be in dire need of something to do. I was trying to offer a solution. I guess I could go with the crowd and just post "buy a fast" without any real opinion or insight as to why. That would benefit everyone so much more I suppose.
i never said it wouldnt lose power going from spring to summer air, i simply stated we would lose GOBS of power. if the 1-2 degree increase because of "heat soak" of the intake ruins as much power as everyone on here acts like it does, our cars would make 150 hp less in the summer than spring.

every proponet of the heat soak issue acts like just because the intake is made of aluminum that you lose so much power its not worth it.

i would be suprised if you ran the intake at ambient temp, then went and heated it up to 150+*, all other things being equal (air temp, coolant temp, oil temp, engine bay temp etc...) you might see a 2-3 hp decrease at most.

other people are acting like you will lose 30 hp or something stupid like that.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOONEY7750
The guy just ask for intake help not another heat soak war. Any of the intake will work on his mild LS1. Everyone wants to bitch about heat soak, how about the low price and extra meat on the BBK and PP for threading for his 125 shot. If he was that worried about performance that heat soak was an issue he would have no interrior and skinnies! Go with the BBK if you want bang for the buck. If you got a hard on for FAST go with a 102. Everyone else stop making a non-issue in this case out to be a huge deal.
He did ask for a intake help and that's what we are doing so he can see different opinions!! this is my experience with aluminum intake i had. At the track Firebird Raceway in AZ my time got slower every pass i did i normally did 4 or 5 passes!! when i swap to the plastic intake my time became consistence same track!! that's why i have a problem with them!!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bww3588
i never said it wouldnt lose power going from spring to summer air, i simply stated we would lose GOBS of power. if the 1-2 degree increase because of "heat soak" of the intake ruins as much power as everyone on here acts like it does, our cars would make 150 hp less in the summer than spring.

every proponet of the heat soak issue acts like just because the intake is made of aluminum that you lose so much power its not worth it.

i would be suprised if you ran the intake at ambient temp, then went and heated it up to 150+*, all other things being equal (air temp, coolant temp, oil temp, engine bay temp etc...) you might see a 2-3 hp decrease at most.

dude you are the one that mentioned the spring and summer s**t and now mentioning losing 30 hp the only thing i said about numbers is that the aluminum intake will run about 35+ hotter than the plastic intake! so get your s**t together!!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough, I suppose I took your earlier post out of context.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
do some research you don't need a lot to change temperature of air!!! you know the reason for the coolant running through the throttle body? is to heat up the air for fast start up in extremely cold conditions only problem is ounce the engine reaches operating temperature the coolant keeps pumping through up to 225 degrees warming the air to reduce horsepower proven fact!! now imagine a aluminum intake ruining almost at the same temp of the engine
dude you are the one that mentioned the spring and summer s**t and now mentioning losing 30 hp the only thing i said about numbers is that the aluminum intake will run about 35+ hotter than the plastic intake! so get your s**t together!!
im saying your acting like your going to lose that amount of power, when in reality you wont....

you have 2 posts saying **** like the intake gets hot and you will lose power!!! etc...

no you wont, not enough to make any difference. period.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
Fair enough, I suppose I took your earlier post out of context.
its ok, your not the one taking my words out of context and using them against me.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,215 Posts

This thread is heading towards the land of the worthless. I see little to no good coming from it's future.

I hate to fan the flames, but this is not correct:

you know the reason for the coolant running through the throttle body? is to heat up the air for fast start up in extremely cold conditions
That throttle body coolant passage has NOTHING to do with assisting in engine start-ups. The coolant isn't going to be hot (or even warm) until after the engine has been running. The purpose of that system is to keep the throttle body from icing during driving in super cold temps....not start-up.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

rpm is right on that one
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This thread is heading towards the land of the worthless. I see little to no good coming from it's future.

That throttle body coolant passage has NOTHING to do with assisting in engine start-ups. The coolant isn't going to be hot (or even warm) until after the engine has been running. The purpose of that system is to keep the throttle body from icing during driving in super cold temps....not start-up.
nuh uh!!! it robs 10000 hp because its aluminum!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

The heads are aluminum. They are a lot hotter than the intake, coolant runs through them and not the intake. No one is complaining about heat soak from heads? The intake doesn't even touch the heads, it touches an 1/8th inch thick graphite gasket in the case of the Typhoon. The only heat it's subject to is ambient under hood temperature. In a moving car the difference is negligible. You would be able to touch both by hand after a summer drive. I could also ice an aluminum intake at the track. I feel the bigger difference between the two though is the extra 15lbs over the front of the car.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
The heads are aluminum. They are a lot hotter than the intake, coolant runs through them and not the intake. No one is complaining about heat soak from heads? The intake doesn't even touch the heads, it touches an 1/8th inch thick graphite gasket in the case of the Typhoon. The only heat it's subject to is ambient under hood temperature. In a moving car the difference is negligible. You would be able to touch both by hand after a summer drive. I could also ice an aluminum intake at the track. I feel the bigger difference between the two though is the extra 15lbs over the front of the car.
Some good points here.

nuh uh!!! it robs 10000 hp because its aluminum!!!!
Maybe we can get someone to make a nice iron intake for the LS1. Or possibily even forged steel, no amout of N2O should damage that.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Some good points here.

Maybe we can get someone to make a nice iron intake for the LS1. Or possibily even forged steel, no amout of N2O should damage that.
you joke, but i seriously was going to have someone make a mold for an iron intake for LS motors, so i could start running them in my stock cars at the dirt track.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

I think you are right on this one!! i had the wrong understanding!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

you joke, but i seriously was going to have someone make a mold for an iron intake for LS motors, so i could start running them in my stock cars at the dirt track.
really!! i will buy you one!! i will throw away my fast plastic intake because probably it will blow up if i hit the throttle hard!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

really!! i will buy you one!! i will throw away my fast plastic intake because probably it will blow up if i hit the throttle hard!!
if you knew anything about the stock class at dirt tracks, you would know you have to have an iron intake to be legal. and yes, i was seriously going to have one made so i could run an LS engine.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Wow. I'll openly admit that I don't know anything about dirt track racing, but I'm surprised they would require a type of intake that was not stock on a given engine.

That's strange, but interesting.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Wow. I'll openly admit that I don't know anything about dirt track racing, but I'm surprised they would require a type of intake that was not stock on a given engine.

That's strange, but interesting.
the class requires a stock carbuerated intake, and i talked to the officials and the only way i can get it in was to make an iron intake that accepted a carb. because aluminum intakes are only allowed on mods.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 AM
TECH Junkie

come to az temp is 102 tomorrow on the 109 i will imagine the temp on that aluminum intake compared to the plastic! remember hot air changes everything that's why we have a cold air intake everything works together!! here is a question for you! like you said 2 equally flowing/designed intakes, if there was a way to freeze the aluminum intake example spray it with nos like the turbo charge guys spray there intercooler will the freezing aluminum intake dyno more then the plastic intake in az? i think it will!
I just moved from Phoenix after living there two years with my BBK. I will agree that the metal intake gets hotter. Hell, I could burn my hand on it in the 120 degree heat there in the summers, it's metal, it conducts heat, that is a no brainer. However I can attest to say that there was NO difference in the way the car performed cold start vs. heated up after a day of driving in that horrid weather. Heat soak is a myth and a dead horse... I've also had it dynoed, cold vs. hot... again no difference. If anything I made more power after it was hot, which of course could absolutely be attributed to small changes in the tune. Point is, I didn't lose any power.

I hate these threads... people looking for proper info get mislead falsely by people who have NO clue what they are talking about... Much like the throttle body bypass quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I think this thread is done. Its a thing that gets brought up weekly and beaten down after about 45 posts in the external section. Run what you like. That is really the best way to put it.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Junkie

^^^Werd!

Lock dis biotch! LOL

Quick Reply: What is the better aluminum intake?