General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 noob..looking to buy a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 noob..looking to buy a 4th gen

Hey guys..just joined the forum and im looking to buy a 4th gen particularly 98-02. I found one on craigslist about an hour from where I live. Its a 2002 Z28 ls1, silver, t-tops, black 17x9.5 Z06 rims all around, 275/40/17 tires all around, has 111,xxx miles, lowered with lowering springs, welded-in subframe connectors, lower control arms, and a panhard bar, built transmission and a 3600 Stall Circle D Converter

Pacesetter Long Tube Headers and Y-Pipe with 2 cutouts and a bullet muffler on the end.

VRX5 236/238 .601/.605 113 LSA Aftermarket Cam with Upgraded Comp Valve Springs and Hardened Pushrods.

SLP Air Lid with K&N Filter and Smooth Bellow.

New NGK TR55 Spark plugs with NEW Spark Plug Wires.

3.42 Gear Rear End out of a manual car.

Went and looked at the car..he let me test drive it and it drove really well I actually liked the auto trans even though I prefer manual. Headers are kinda looking worn out, leather has a tear but not too bad I could live with it, has an aftermarket radio but the rear speakers weren't plugged in for some reason.

Did a carfax report on it and has had 5 previous owners, has been in a couple accidents, a lot of the car is now fiberglass with new paint, something is wrong with the factory alarm system that the previous owner had to bypass the computer so now the car has a push button start along with a killswitch (idk how the guy did it)

I offered the guy $6500 and he was fine with it but i told him I would get back to him with the final answer. I was wondering fellow 4th gen owners opinions and anyone with a lot of experience with these cars/engines, should I buy the car or move on to another one? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy has about 2k to 3k on the camaro! 2002 is i good year compared to the 98!! 111,xxx miles i think is ok for a 8 year old car that's about 14,000 a year!! I didn't like 2 things!! the part were you mention that is has been in a couple accidents!!!!!!!!!!!! and that the computer was bypass to START the car with a kill switch I wonder how they installed the other stuff!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

14 years of F-body ownership here. I'll keep it simple. PASS. Sounds like a potential money pit.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my T/A:
http://lubbock.craigslist.org/cto/1792567397.html
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I wouldn't take it either. 6500 is way too much. If you wait a few months you will find something much better.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Id say pass on it as well for the simple fact that it has been in multiple accidents before. You will have an extremely hard time selling that car if for some reason you need to get rid of it.

I also agree with what NC01TA said, sounds like a money pit. Seems to have quite a few electrical problems already, and who knows what else may pop up soon. And BTW, the rear speakers most likely are blown, or the wiring is messed up as well. I mean, who wouldnt plug in their rear speakers??

One more reason to pass on it is because you said you "prefer a manual". You should never settle when buying a car. Buy what you like the first time around, because soon or a later your always gonna want what you originally did. Expecially in circumstances like this, where the car in question has several "red flags".
Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP
I really like your T/A but all I have saved up to spend on a car is about $7000 and that's way less than what you are asking for.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
14 years of F-body ownership here. I'll keep it simple. PASS. Sounds like a potential money pit.
Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Yeah, I wouldn't take it either. 6500 is way too much. If you wait a few months you will find something much better.
Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
Id say pass on it as well for the simple fact that it has been in multiple accidents before. You will have an extremely hard time selling that car if for some reason you need to get rid of it.

I also agree with what NC01TA said, sounds like a money pit. Seems to have quite a few electrical problems already, and who knows what else may pop up soon. And BTW, the rear speakers most likely are blown, or the wiring is messed up as well. I mean, who wouldnt plug in their rear speakers??

One more reason to pass on it is because you said you "prefer a manual". You should never settle when buying a car. Buy what you like the first time around, because soon or a later your always gonna want what you originally did. Expecially in circumstances like this, where the car in question has several "red flags".
Thanks for all you guys input you all made some really good points and opened my eyes up. I think I'm going to go ahead and pass on the car and hopefully something better comes along. Trying to find something by the first week of July before my summer classes start.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yep i would pass alos. if you prefer a "manual" then buy one don't settle for another car. there are way too many out there. also when it comes to electrical problems I would pass right away just because i hate electrical stuff