General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

my first accident, is my car beyond fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You would think the thread was full of women with all this bickering.......

OP, sounds totaled to me. Did you have full coverage?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You would think the thread was full of women with all this bickering.......

OP, sounds totaled to me. Did you have full coverage?
he didnt have full coverage if I read right..., I hope that something is covered though
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Teching In

all is not lost but i realize everyone cannot fix a car like i did and if you dont know how to properly do it do it then dont try. I bought a 00 z28 from a "rebuildable" salvage yard and thought new quarters, some rearend cosmetic pieces and some hard work were all it would take. it had 47,xxx miles and $4700 car and parts to fix it was a good price for a project.

i was stupid to think that but when i looked at it closer i saw the subframe in the rear was pushed apart and one side was crushed just a little. i took it to a shop and over 10 grand to make it right without paint so they told me something else to do and i did it.

i already had a good rear section to take quarters from so i used the whole thing.

me and my brother braced it up alot and fully welded everything and subframe connecters all in about 20 hours of one weekend. now its my daily driver and im gonna paint it next month hopefully and you would never know it was cut in half. its 100% safe and passed all inspections, goes straight as an arrow down the road and T-top fit perfect. i know it sounds stupid to do and not everyone can do it im just sayin thats what road worked for me.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

guys it says in his first post that he didnt have full coverage. even if he did he might be in trouble getting the insurance to pay out.

i dont know the circumstances of the accident saying you were going kinda fast to me could mean you were doing 60 in a 55 and lost control for a number of reasons. how ever if your speeding excessively on any road its a stupid thing to do. we all make mistakes the important thing is to learn from them. keep excessive speed for the track. i think any one condoning any thing other is an idiot.

you didnt write in detail what happend. i dont know the law in your state but it seems like from what you described you had the car towed and then called the police today. In a lot of states you can be in a lot of trouble for leaving the scene of an accident. chances are the car is going to be totaled. how ever you can probably get out of it a lot better by buying a roller or a v6 and swapping all your part into the good body.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
WHY are you even posting in this thread? I can't stand it when a thread gets highjacked by people like you that add nothing of value to the topic of conversation.

To the OP, that sucks but you aren't alone. The same thing happened to my 93' formula back in high school. The difference was my sister was driving it (without my permission) which as you can imagine, made me even more pissed after I found out she was ok. But then I found out she was just taking it to the car wash for me and as she pulled out she spun out due to all the water and also hit a mailbox and went in the ditch. So, it was kinda hard to stay mad at her.

It took a while to get over because I had alot of memories in that car and loved it to death but life goes on I guess. Your best bet is to part it out but keep the engine and trans and swap it into a roller. You'll see those quite often in the classified section.

thanks man...and everyone else(besides the jackass)
i cant begin to explain how depressed i feel right now, and can definitely see this taking a long time to get over. i didnt have the car for very long , but it was my baby all the same.it WAS flawless and only had 70k on it. i def learned my lesson (the hard way) as far as insurance goes. i got the car in my garage today and it def got tweaked. but its not too bad. it could still be turned into a track only car i guess. or... my buddy that towed it said he knows a guy that has a rust/dent free 63' nova roller w/ a 4linked narrow 9" and a cage for $1000. i might go check it out, but i have to fix the mail boxes first.

anyway...i'l take pics later 2day and try to post em up,but i tried to post some pics of my ported tb a couple days ago and it didnt work. but i'l try again.

thanks again guys
Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
On that note, I still hope your prosecuted.
The guy is willing to pay for property damage without legal action, and you want the courts involved anyway?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

for some reason i can pull the door skin from the door

these one show how tweaked it is

theres not really any other significant damage, just some dings and scratches
Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss4zach
all is not lost but i realize everyone cannot fix a car like i did and if you dont know how to properly do it do it then dont try. I bought a 00 z28 from a "rebuildable" salvage yard and thought new quarters, some rearend cosmetic pieces and some hard work were all it would take. it had 47,xxx miles and $4700 car and parts to fix it was a good price for a project.

i was stupid to think that but when i looked at it closer i saw the subframe in the rear was pushed apart and one side was crushed just a little. i took it to a shop and over 10 grand to make it right without paint so they told me something else to do and i did it.

i already had a good rear section to take quarters from so i used the whole thing.

me and my brother braced it up alot and fully welded everything and subframe connecters all in about 20 hours of one weekend. now its my daily driver and im gonna paint it next month hopefully and you would never know it was cut in half. its 100% safe and passed all inspections, goes straight as an arrow down the road and T-top fit perfect. i know it sounds stupid to do and not everyone can do it im just sayin thats what road worked for me.

damn! that **** makes mine look like a fender bender! that is hardcore fabbing at its best. you my friend are a badass! i like to think of myself as a fabricator but i dont think i would tackle somthing like that. big props to ya

when my neck feels better(wiplash) im guna jack it up and yank out the rearend to evaluate the damage done to the rear suspension. cuz as you can see, the lca is sticking out.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6

Like he would ever admit to us now, if he ever made a mistake.
I crashed my 6 banger firebird drifting a corner once and hit a solid wood fence resulting in a few scratches on the quarter panel. Never did fix it cause ya really can't tell. I was being cocky and went to big. Yup. It happens to all of us but its where you do it thats the most important.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The guy is willing to pay for property damage without legal action, and you want the courts involved anyway?
I don't want the courts involved. No. Just a great officer to cite him for wreckless driving, driving to endanger, speeding, excessive accelaration, exhibition of speed, damage to property, and leaving the seen of an accident. Its guys like this that is the reason all of these fines exist cause they do things with out fully thinking it through and end up in a "accident". Causing every male under the age of 25 to have excessive insurance rates and giving street racers a bad name.

And no I'm not angry, rather happy my car is a little more rare now
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I crashed my 6 banger firebird drifting a corner once and hit a solid wood fence resulting in a few scratches on the quarter panel. Never did fix it cause ya really can't tell. I was being cocky and went to big. Yup. It happens to all of us but its where you do it thats the most important.

I don't want the courts involved. No. Just a great officer to cite him for wreckless driving, driving to endanger, speeding, excessive accelaration, exhibition of speed, damage to property, and leaving the seen of an accident. Its guys like this that is the reason all of these fines exist cause they do things with out fully thinking it through and end up in a "accident". Causing every male under the age of 25 to have excessive insurance rates and giving street racers a bad name.

douchebaggery at its finest...
Old 06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^
All this is coming from a guy that most likely has his pic in his avatar doing a burnout in front of what looks like a...hmm could it be a... RESIDENTIAL AREA.

Some people are just bitter I suppose or just need to get laid.

OP that sounds like helluvea deal for $1000.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Has anything good ever come from Maine? Besides some ****ing shrimp?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
^
All this is coming from a guy that most likely has his pic in his avatar doing a burnout in front of what looks like a...hmm could it be a... RESIDENTIAL AREA.
I noticed this as well. If that is in fact his car (even if it's not, it still advocates reckless and dangerous behavior), then he qualifies for some sort of hypocrite award. Perhaps it will come in the form of post editing/removal, should he continue to preach.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I noticed this as well. If that is in fact his car (even if it's not, it still advocates reckless and dangerous behavior), then he qualifies for some sort of hypocrite award. Perhaps it will come in the form of post editing/removal, should he continue to preach.

something like this?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Teching In

did you get cited for the fence?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Launching!

^^ lol. Red Foreman award.

OP, sorry about your car. Hope you can get it fixed.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

How do you know he left the scene of the accident? How do you know he was excessively accelerating? IMO if he is man enough to pay/replace the damage he caused days after the accident its because HE wants to and knows its the right thing to do not because the courts are forcing him to (courts would take MUCH longer to do this) And ANY ticket especially the violations that you listed are going to require it to go though the courts. Its simple cause and effect, courts dont issue citations they simply follow through with the citations that law enforcement issues.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I had someone jump out in front of me and in the ensuing aftermath totaled my pristine 54K mile WS6.. I ended up parting it out and making about 6-7K on the parts.. Granted it was a trans am and some of those parts pull a premium.. But i ended up using the money to buy another car. With 70K miles you can get 1500-2000 from your motor alone. Just sayin. Sounds like your car is paid off so you stand to make some recoup money if you part it. Than you can go pick up another F-body or whatever.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news! It sounds from your description above that the car is likely totaled.

As for the other guy, way to be a real DICK! We all make mistakes -- the original poster made one and was pretty clear about that. Sounds like he owned up to it and seeks to do what is required to make things right -- if only more people in this world adopted the same mentality.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah. . . . . . .

I might have missed, but either way. If it is a z, gut it and throw it all into a roller.

****, happens. . . . I know best, I am not even gonna try to explain.

You live and you learn. . . . .

Quick Reply: my first accident, is my car beyond fixable?