General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

my first accident, is my car beyond fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my first accident, is my car beyond fixable?

im too bummed out to really go into alot of details right now cuz it just happened last night. but i went off the road last nite goin pretty fast, took out some mail boxes and spun around a couple times. i think my rear end caught the lip of the ditch cuz my rear coil spring is sitn sideways and i think my pb is sticking out the wheel well.

i just want to know if the bodies on these cars are screwed once theyre tweeked. i havent had a chance to look at it up close yet as it is still at the tow yard. but i do know that its pretty messed up. the hatch was sticking up a little (3/8in) on the passenger side. i also noticed the door was not opening and closing very easy. along with messed up bumper,headlight, fender. none of the glass broke. all i care about is if theres a way to fix a tweeked unibody.

anyway... i was just wondering if anyone on here has had the same thing happen to them. i didnt put full coverage on it cuz i didnt drive it much,(stupid!stupid!stupid!) so if its totaled, im fukt! the car was in exellent shape w/low miles and i would fukn if i have to junk it after just paying 6k cash for it
Old 06-13-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear about the wreck but at least your alright. A picture is worth a 1000 words so pictures would be able to draw a better conclusion. But from what you described it sounds like its totaled. As far as CAN it be fixed, pretty much anything can be fixed its just weighing the cost of fixing it compared to what the cars worth. And body work is expensive, when I wrecked my T/A it needed a new bumper and headlight and thats it no structural damage and it close to 3 grand to fix, so if there is structural damage you would probable be looking at around what you paid for the car to get it fixed, so you might be better off just parting it out and cutting your losses.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the above. Sorry man it sounds totaled. We need pics to really judge it.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

do you have collision coverage? if its totalled just buy another one with your ins. money.

but it does look bad from your description.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Post up some pics, so we can see the damage for ourselves and really give you an idea if the car is totalled or not. However, it doesnt take very much for a car to be considered "totalled" by insurance companies now days.

If it is, do what UltimateOrangeSS suggested and just use whatever money you get towards buying a new one or even upgrading to a GTO or C5 Vette.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can always salvage what you can out of it and swap it into a roller.
no easy/cheap way out of this one though. sorry
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
i went off the road last nite goin pretty fast, took out some mail boxes and spun around a couple times.
You're an idiot. Why were you driving so fast in a residential neighborhood? I see no problem with speeding on the interstate or some other highway when theres no one around but speeding in a friggin neighborhood makes you dense. I hope your prosecuted for destruction of property.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^your an *******

to the op your car sounds totaled too me . lesson learned
Old 06-14-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds totaled but as stated pix would help out alot
Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jsteele90
^^your an *******

to the op your car sounds totaled too me . lesson learned
no way, how can you honestly justify speeding in a neighborhood? you have to have to have no moral values to say that speeding in a neighborhood is ok. However the driver hasnt stated what kind of mailboxes they were, if they were for a business in a industrial complex thats different.

on another note the car sounds like its in rough shape but ive seen a few f-bodies come back from mangled pieces of scrap into cars that look brand new. Now whether they drive straight is another question. I wouldnt be too worried about the trunk lid as i would be about the door being out of line. Also how are the t-tops? are they cracked? can you take them on and off easy?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's more than likely totaled. Sounds like you got frame damage, and any little frame damage + paint + parts + labor is going to cost more than the car. Call your insurance company up, file a claim, wait for your check to come, and buy another one.

Don't get down, **** happens man. You live and you learn. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
You're an idiot. Why were you driving so fast in a residential neighborhood? I see no problem with speeding on the interstate or some other highway when theres no one around but speeding in a friggin neighborhood makes you dense. I hope your prosecuted for destruction of property.
when did i say "residential neighborhood", your post is completely inappropriate!!

i live out in the stix and i was on an old 2 lane hwy that is surrounded by farmers fields. the mail boxes i hit were at the end of a long driveway.

i also called the sheriffs office today and will be paying for the property damage.this is my first wreck ever and i dont appreciate you calling me names.

so anyway............ im guna go pick up the car tomorrow so i'l take some pics and post up when i can. the shittiest thing about all this is that i dont have full coverage. so i cant just "file a claim", otherwise i wouldnt care(as much)
Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

That sux especially without full coverage
Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
when did i say "residential neighborhood", your post is completely inappropriate!!

i live out in the stix and i was on an old 2 lane hwy that is surrounded by farmers fields. the mail boxes i hit were at the end of a long driveway.

i also called the sheriffs office today and will be paying for the property damage.this is my first wreck ever and i dont appreciate you calling me names.

so anyway............ im guna go pick up the car tomorrow so i'l take some pics and post up when i can. the shittiest thing about all this is that i dont have full coverage. so i cant just "file a claim", otherwise i wouldnt care(as much)
My mistake. I shouldn't be so presumtuous and be jumping to conclusions like that. Its rude and inappropriate. On that note, I still hope your prosecuted. Be safe.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

My mistake. I shouldn't be so presumtuous and be jumping to conclusions like that. Its rude and inappropriate. On that note, I still hope your prosecuted. Be safe.
Way to apologize, and cut him down again. He was on a secluded highway, with no one else around for miles.....like any of us havnt punched it or down something stupid in the same circumstances. Yes, he wrecked and learned a valuable lesson, but it could happen to any of us...EVEN YOU. He already stated that hes paying for the damages, and maning up to right his wrong, no need to be an ******* and cut him down even more.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your car man, hope everything works out. Sounds to me like it's probably totalled as well.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

chill out man ... you sound pissed more than any of owners of smashed mailboxes.

He got into a crash in outskirts of town and he seems responsible, since he called local authorities and wants to cover property damage.

Why 'd you want him to get prosecuted so bad?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP sorry if its totaled.

Sounds like its time for a project car, & a new home for that motor in somethin' cooler like a chevelle malibu.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Launching!

I hope you wreck bad then, on the track or off... Honestly. I have no sympathy for people that have no sympathy. mistakes are made and you are not an exception to that - The best of luck to the OP.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thatguy383
I hope you wreck bad then, on the track or off... Honestly. I have no sympathy for people that have no sympathy. mistakes are made and you are not an exception to that - The best of luck to the OP.

Like he would ever admit to us now, if he ever made a mistake.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHY are you even posting in this thread? I can't stand it when a thread gets highjacked by people like you that add nothing of value to the topic of conversation.

To the OP, that sucks but you aren't alone. The same thing happened to my 93' formula back in high school. The difference was my sister was driving it (without my permission) which as you can imagine, made me even more pissed after I found out she was ok. But then I found out she was just taking it to the car wash for me and as she pulled out she spun out due to all the water and also hit a mailbox and went in the ditch. So, it was kinda hard to stay mad at her.

It took a while to get over because I had alot of memories in that car and loved it to death but life goes on I guess. Your best bet is to part it out but keep the engine and trans and swap it into a roller. You'll see those quite often in the classified section.

Quick Reply: my first accident, is my car beyond fixable?