General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gen 5 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
you do realize how popular the first gen camaro is right? thats why they styled it after those cars. i honestly think if they just redid the 69 again and put the new motor/technology in it, it would have been the perfect car.
This.

If they wanted to sell A LOT of cars, that is all they needed to do. They wouldnt have been able to produce them fast enough.

They fucked the styling up on the new ones IMO. The side I can handle, the front is not so great, and the back is hideous. The interior can go either way...I do think the gauges in the consol is a neat touch from a '69 though.

I havent driven one so I can comment on that perspective, I would like to though.

The Dodge Challenger has them all beat in looks, without a doubt.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC

I'd have to agree with you on that one.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have to disagree with both of you ^
The new Mustang IMO is far superior to either the Challenger or Camaro. It may lack power in 4.6 form (and i dont want to sound like im on the bandwagon here) but the new 5.0 is a gamechanger. I prefer the mustang on looks as well, the Challenger has no style! Its about as plain as can be. As for the Camaro, it looks like a life size hot wheels car.
Im not trying to offend anyone but the OP wanted opinions and this is my .2 cents
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that the paint job under the hood on the new ones is iffy at best. Ive seen a couple at local car shows and the paint on wheel wells under the hood looks like it was sprayed very lightly.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

There has been threads on this site about poor quality paint jobs on 5th gens...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Dodge Challenger

2. Ford Mustang

3. Chevy Camaro
Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Also in size. When you stand next to it, the thing is friggin' huge. And the SRT8 is 700 lbs heavier than our f-bodies. Wow.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by NitoV
The car is way too big! Feels too big and looks too big.
It does look bigger than a 4th gen, despite being about 3 inches shorter. I think it's the high belt line and super-sized wheels.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
#4 they have a low-budget, mullet, Amurrican image that's incompatible with the image of the car.
Incompatible? In that case, the name "Camaro" was a poor choice for this car, since that name is the very definition of affordable American performance. I doubt that any of that has to do with the lack of a t-top option. I think it's pretty obvious that T-tops just don't fit well with the body lines of a 5th gen, just like they would have looked silly on a 1st gen.

Agreed.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

I've seen a few people have some here in Germany and they are nice cars and look great but they are ginormous when I park next to one. I've never drove one but I'll have to once I'm stateside in about a week.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk the 5th gens as stated before are just too cartoony. its like they took a hotwheel concept or something and built it and is sellin it to the general public. i also think that all the new cars with the exception of the 5.0 (i hate to say it) were more concerenced about styling and making the inside look like a furniture and gadget showroom as opposed to building a real american powerhouse
Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Canbarelygo
i also think that all the new cars with the exception of the 5.0 (i hate to say it) were more concerenced about styling and making the inside look like a furniture and gadget showroom as opposed to building a real american powerhouse
I think the interiors of both the new Camaro and Mustang seem more gimmicky/gagety compared to the Challenger, which is far more down-to-business appearing, IMO.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

GM took a step backwards instead of forward. They could have taken a step forward and made something that was more aerodynamic and light weight, more along the lines of a budget zr1. But instead they made a heavy re-make of what has already been done just so they can have a piece of the market.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

here's my .02

from the moment 4th gen's came out every SS and WS6 i've seen on the road has caught my eye and aroused me sexually.

at first the new camaro's had the same effect, but now when i see them it doesn't even register at all.

I do like the affordable zr1 idea...

looks department challenger definetely wins, its not too plain like someone said....its just clean as hell
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Other than the weight factor, I think it's an excellent car. Other than it's porky stature, my only wish is that they offered it with a straight axle and left the independent rear as an option. While it looks mean, is well appointed and performs well, there's just something missing that previous F-bodies had. It doesn't seem like a Camaro so much as some touring coupe built to look like one.

It's like a well done Fiero based Diablo; it looks the part, but just seems to miss that authenticity. I guess it's also strange to see the Camaro finally sharing a chassis instead of having it's own.

While an overall nicer vehicle, I dig the raw, simplistic nature of previous generations. That is what the 5th generation is missing. The Mustang seems to have somehow kept it alive by never straying too far from it's roots.

I like the car, but I like the SRT-8 and new 5.0 even better. While I'd never consider the Challenger based on it's price, the Mustang can be had for a hair under $30k if you're smart.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Incompatible? I think it's pretty obvious that T-tops just don't fit well with the body lines of a 5th gen, just like they would have looked silly on a 1st gen.
See #2 above.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I guess it's also strange to see the Camaro finally sharing a chassis instead of having it's own.
Camaro/F-body has shared portions of it's chassis structure before, late '60s/early '70s X-body comes to mind specifically.

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I dig the raw, simplistic nature of previous generations. That is what the 5th generation is missing.
This I agree with very much. I prefer less insulation, less "luxury" and less gagets when it comes to a muscle car.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

See #2 above.
I don't disagree with #2. I disagree with #4.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't disagree with #2. I disagree with #4.
Then why bother to repeat what I had already stated in #2 in a attempt to refute #4? As I'm sure you grasp, those observations were numbered in descending order of significance ...
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Then why bother to repeat what I had already stated in #2 in a attempt to refute #4? As I'm sure you grasp, those observations were numbered in descending order of significance ...
My exact post was:

"Incompatible? In that case, the name "Camaro" was a poor choice for this car, since that name is the very definition of affordable American performance. I doubt that any of that has to do with the lack of a t-top option. I think it's pretty obvious that T-tops just don't fit well with the body lines of a 5th gen, just like they would have looked silly on a 1st gen."

I have bolded the part where I've already explained my disagreement with you. Just to be clear, when I said "any of that", I was referring to your summary of T-tops equalling "low-budget, mullet, Amurrican image". I think your reasoning for "#4" has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of a T-top option. On the other hand, I don't disagree with your other reasons, hence I did not include them in my original reply of disagreement. As a matter of fact, I think your other 3 reasons are probably spot-on.

Feel better now?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Well since its all opinion mine is that the 5th gen is a beautiful car, 100x better looking than the new mustang and 1000x better than the challenger period. The big downfall of the camaro is weight. I feel the same way about the challenger as a lot of you feel about the camaro; when it came out and I saw pictures I was blown away, then I starting seeing them in person and now... Meh... I still love the look of the camaro even if I seem to be one of the only ones.