General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gen 5 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like the new 5th gen, hate the interior.

cant stand the mustang or challenger, surprised how many here love the looks of the challenger, it looks bloated and ugly to me
Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rip out the superior solid platform/sound deadening, replace the excellent clutch hydraulics with inferior 4th generations parts, swap the amazing LS3 with a great LS1, and ditch the great interior/seats.....that'll give you that warm & fuzzy 4th generation feel some of you owners (mainly non-owners, go figure) miss with the 5th Gen.

This is solely a nostalgic argument/discussion with a little envoy/jealousy mixed in for good measure.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

5th gen is a tank. buyoed by transformers its a fail of a design inside and out. I nearly bought an 11 5L but couldnt think of it when comparing it to a 4th gen for a 1/5th of the price.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

looks huge next to a 4th gen is an understatement.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Pathetic sourpuss 4th generation owners who can't afford a 5th gen.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I loved my 4th gen but it doesn't even begin to compare to the 5th gen. It's big and heavy but it's a much better car all around.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

lol please. my engine in my vette just cost me more than a loaded 5th gen.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaro-Sutra
I loved my 4th gen but it doesn't even begin to compare to the 5th gen. It's big and heavy but it's a much better car all around.
It may be a better car. but is it a better 'camaro' ?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by cpo
Pathetic sourpuss 4th generation owners who can't afford a 5th gen.
Ignorant statement. Perhaps a reflection of your own weak financial standings?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Ignorant statement. Perhaps a reflection of your own weak financial standings?
A little trollish I must admit, but nearly deserving when used in context.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
It may be a better car. but is it a better 'camaro' ?
To me, yes. I am more happy to have a 5th gen sharing the garage with my 69 than the 99 HOSS anyday.

William
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .02 Its ugly, its too big, and its to retro.

The Srt-8 is huge too.. but the body lines are freaking smooth. Too bad its overpriced by 10k
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Didn't like them at first, but have defiently grown on me, but of course they are to heavy being 3913lb for an ss auto and 3860 for an ss manual. Will be interesting with the 2014 Alpha platform being much smaller and lighter.

Interior is funky but not horrible, all the manufactures are focused on interiors right now because a large portion of the mainstream people think the interiors of U.S automakers is below average (I'm all for a simple interior such as the fourth gen but don't know if we will see it again) Look at what chrysler is doing, revamping the interior of every 2011 model they have including the challenger.

5th gen is a tank. buyoed by transformers its a fail of a design inside and out.
GM didn't fail when making the 5th gen since they have sold 130,000 of them for 2010 and that is a feat for any car in this market and especially a two door coupe. My $.02
Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Camaro, as a name, was brought back as the 5th gen for one reason - retro styling sales popularity. I doubt it would have been brought back as a stand-alone chassis, but since GM had a chassis in development that could be used, had the sales numbers of the retro Mustang to ponder over, and a recently-deceased legacy name to play with, it made sense to bring it back.

It wasn't revived because of enthusiast popularity for the f-body platform - that much should be obvious based on the glaring differences between a 4th gen and a 5th gen. Had the retro Mustang not sold so well, I don't doubt GM would have released the Camaro as a competitor to Euro-styled sports coupes and sedans (a coupe G8, really), it just would have used a different name and slightly different fascia.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have finnaly gotten some seat-time in a 5th Gen and there is one word to describe it: solid. The doors close nicely, there is zero slop in the steering, the chassis doesn't feel like it is flexing and the controls don't feel like a cobbled together kit-car.

However, I would never buy one. Too big and heavy for starters. The outward visibilty is terrible bordering on dangerous. There is more body roll than I ever felt in a base 4thGen Z28. Lastly, they are too freakin' expensive.

I'll stick with Corvettes and 3rd & 4thGen F-bodys...
Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I agree that it's too heavy, but not too big. It's actually shorter than a 4th gen, and I wouldn't want the car to be any smaller (length or width wise). But I would like to see it be lighter.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Launching!

which one handles better? the 4th or the 5th?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpo
Rip out the superior solid platform/sound deadening, replace the excellent clutch hydraulics with inferior 4th generations parts, swap the amazing LS3 with a great LS1, and ditch the great interior/seats.....that'll give you that warm & fuzzy 4th generation feel some of you owners (mainly non-owners, go figure) miss with the 5th Gen.

This is solely a nostalgic argument/discussion with a little envoy/jealousy mixed in for good measure.
Great interior? Are we looking at the same car? Designers who put gauges way down on the console where they're hard to see to capture "that retro feeling" need to be shot. Aside from that, there's nothing special at all about the 5th gen Camaro's interior - it's pretty much what you'd expect GM to put in a mid-priced performance car. "It's better than a 4th gen's interior!" isn't saying much - my base-model commuter Sunfire has a nicer interior build quality than my Trans Am does.

If I want a performance/luxury car, I'll buy a 335ix or M3. If I want a no-frills performance car that I can mod without selling both ********* and a kidney to afford, I'll buy a 4th gen. If I want an expensive performance car, I'll buy a Corvette. The 5th gen is simply a platform I have no use for nor desire to have - not because I can't afford it, but because I just don't like it. It's too fat and disconnected to feel like a true performance car, it's not nice enough to step into the performance/luxury car circle, and it's not inexpensive enough to overlook any of those flaws.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

WTF!? is this mopar tech? there sure is alot of haters in here suckin off the challenger. lol.

anyway...i cant believe everyone hates the new camaro so much. yes its kinda heavy and yes its TOO expensive, but its a better overall car than the new stang and a WAAAYYY better car than the challenger.

styling - EXCEPTIONAL. theres nothin meaner lookin on the streets right now except maybe the z06 (the new stang is pretty mean lookin too)

power - duh

price - sucks. i do agree with SOME of Element's statement. the 5th gen is kinda impractical for the blue collar guy (me) price-wise. i guess its more for the camaro purist. i dont think it would be catching so much hell if its price really was in the low 30k-high 20k range for a standard v8 manual like gm promised.

with all that said, i dont think i will get one anytime soon, but only because of the high price, not the weight or dumb interior. if i want to spend that much $ i will get a c6Z.

BTW. my name is "BOBthe 4d h8r" but i would proudly drive a new stang over that... overpriced, over rated, over weight, poor excuse for american performance... mopar

Last edited by BOBthe4dH8r; 08-18-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BOBthe4dH8r
i guess its more for the camaro purist.
I have to disagree with that. The 5th gen is quite the opposite in fact. The IRS is nice for ride quality, all the insulation is helpful for a more "luxurious" experiance, and the gagets are great for people who measure a car's worth by accessory technology. These things are concessions aimed at "taming" a muscle car. A Camaro purist would sooner appreciate a car without these things, in trade for lesser weight and thus better performance/acceleration. But, GM was looking to appeal to a broader base with this car, maybe try and pull sales away from some entry level imported luxury coupes and the more "driver friendly" Mustang (I say driver friendly because, for the last 3 decades or so many claim that the upright/higher seating position of the Mustang is more favorable for daily driving...I personally don't agree with that though).

Camaro purists don't carry enough sales weight to keep the model line in business, as shown by 4th gen production numbers. So GM introduced a car that would appeal, on some level, to both purists and every-day coupe drivers alike; attempting to entice each camp without totally alienating the other.

In other words, GM is trying to match the aggressive styling and performance of previous F-bodies with the affordable luxury and driver-friendly nature of the ill-received '04-'06 GTO. They are attempting to find the middle ground with this car.