General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

For all those that store cars in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all those that store cars in the winter

I've had my car in storage since October. I've got some carpets under my tires to prevent any flat spots but I've also been debating on buying a big piece of carpet to go under the entire car?

She's being stored in a storage facility which is all made of concrete. Our winters here in Canada are dry but I'm still a little concerned about the possible humidity rising and just sitting on my undercarriage.

Another thing I'd be fighting with is finding a piece that's gonna fit my needs, dimension wise.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Water from humidity alone isn't going to hurt your undercarriage.

My suggestion would be to put it on jackstands and take your wheels and tires home and condition the tires while they are not in use
Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just stored mine last night, its parked inside on concrete floors. I dont go through what you do with parking it on carpet. I see other cars in the storage building with car covers, I dont have a cover for mine. Its always just about as clean too when I get it out, suprizingly not much dust on the car. Been storing it for the last 3 years & no problems. Its only in storage for maybe 3 1/2 months, goes in mid-late November, comes out early March weather depending.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't do too much either. Usually swap my old rims and tires on (haven't gotten to that yet) change oil, top off fluids and the gas tank and let 'er sit.
Sad day, my wallet's happy when I cancel the insurance for four months.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by skopers3
I don't do too much either. Usually swap my old rims and tires on (haven't gotten to that yet) change oil, top off fluids and the gas tank and let 'er sit.
Just FYI, talk to your agent about "suspending coverage" as opposed to cancelling it. You keep Comprehensive which is a drop in the bucket, but covers you for theft and don't you pay for Collision or any liability coverages.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just parked mine on a tarp this year to help with humidity rising. Also put desiccant packs in the car that hang from the rearview mirror to pull out the moisture out of the air. Slapped on a battery tender and call it good. I’ll start it up throughout the winter but won’t pull it out till spring.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skopers3
Not really sad when I park it, I am ready for snowmobile season.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will actually get quite a bit of moisture through the concrete. I went to Walmart and picked up 4 mil plastic visquine (sp) for $10. I put that under my car then I have some old carpet I lay on top of that. It cost me a total of 10 dollars so why not?

I also get moth ***** and put them around the car to keep critters away and avoid any unecessary wiring headaches in the spring from critters chewing up wires.

I used to take the wheels off but last year I didn't and they were fine so I didn't do that this year.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Good call on the moth *****
Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just spoke to a friend that works at the local Lowes and he was saying that he could cut me a piece exactly to the width and length of my car for $80.

On a side note, what about big pieces of cardboard, or would moisture just make it's way past it.

Last edited by Striker; 11-17-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Just FYI, talk to your agent about "suspending coverage" as opposed to cancelling it. You keep Comprehensive which is a drop in the bucket, but covers you for theft and don't you pay for Collision or any liability coverages.
I actually never have comprehensice or collision on the car. I only have liability.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also believe that you are not supposed to keep the car are jack stands for long periods of time because of the "sagging" that takes place in the suspension... Don't quote me on that, but something you might want to look in to.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got back from homo depot and bought some outdoor carpet to fit under my car. Outdoor carpet isn't super thick but I think it would be able to prevent any possible condensation that may occur.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

I keep mine in a concrete garage in wet IL winters with no issues. I keep the Ins. all year, but I will soon be swtiching to Hagerty's or something, It is only about $200 a year for a $15,000 agreed upon value, I am just waiting for the holidays to get over because I have to pay the whole year up front.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
My suggestion would be to put it on jackstands and take your wheels and tires home and condition the tires while they are not in use
My suggestion would be to not do this.

After 13+ years of storing cars on steel belted radials, I've never done this, and never had flat-spotting (I do air them up to their highest rated psi for storage though) . If you do want to do this, you must make sure that the suspension is properly loaded on the stands. Letting it "hang" for long periods is a bad idea.

I keep rubber backed carpet under my indoor cars all year. I also keep moisture dry tubs in the interior, Stabil in the gas, and covers over them for the winter.

I do not suspend or otherwise change my insurance. They are covered year round by a collector policy, the rates are extremely affordable.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think outdoor carpet comes rubberized but I think it should do the trick. I got a 17 by 6 feet long piece. Should be perfect.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Striker
I don't think outdoor carpet comes rubberized but I think it should do the trick. I got a 17 by 6 feet long piece. Should be perfect.
Just get some of that visqueen I talked about earlier in this thread. I know they sell it at home depot for like $15 or so for a big roll. Put that over the concrete then put your carpet down. I don't see how any moisture would get through the visqueen let alone visqueen and carpet.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Just get some of that visqueen I talked about earlier in this thread. I know they sell it at home depot for like $15 or so for a big roll. Put that over the concrete then put your carpet down. I don't see how any moisture would get through the visqueen let alone visqueen and carpet.
I think I saw this last night. All it was is some black think plastic sheet, correct?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My suggestion would be to not do this.

After 13+ years of storing cars on steel belted radials, I've never done this, and never had flat-spotting (I do air them up to their highest rated psi for storage though) . If you do want to do this, you must make sure that the suspension is properly loaded on the stands. Letting it "hang" for long periods is a bad idea.

I keep rubber backed carpet under my indoor cars all year. I also keep moisture dry tubs in the interior, Stabil in the gas, and covers over them for the winter.

I do not suspend or otherwise change my insurance. They are covered year round by a collector policy, the rates are extremely affordable.
Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, when using jackstands set them so the suspension remains under load, I don't let them hang.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Launching!

RPM WS6;14135332]
Except for the desiccant this is just what I do too. Then store at 60 degrees for 5 months.