General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

whine and bitch session

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ haha yeah I see that all the time

I will disagree on some ls1's not being valuable in the future, esp the firebirds. I do think WS6's and firehawks will be valuable 20 years down the road, assuming they are stock, lower miles, matching number cars. Hell they are pretty saught after now with some collectors.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I just face it....... I'm married to the damn car..

Thats how I feel. I have so much invested in my car I get a headache trying to add it up, so I just stop. I know I would get fucked if I tried to sell it..

As far as selling parts I haven't had much luck. I have a set of ported 243's boxed up sitting under my daughters crib that im scared to sell after some of other parts i've listed.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would swapping the motor, say for a new crate motor really hurt the value? What exactly does 'numbers matching' mean anyway?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Depends on the buyer. These cars aren't worth **** for trade in anyway.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike171562
Would swapping the motor, say for a new crate motor really hurt the value? What exactly does 'numbers matching' mean anyway?

To a collector, yes it would hurt the vaule.

Numbers matching can vary, some people think it means everything orginal down to the bolts. Mostly it's just the big things on the car being orginal.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bah321
^ haha yeah I see that all the time

I will disagree on some ls1's not being valuable in the future, esp the firebirds. I do think WS6's and firehawks will be valuable 20 years down the road, assuming they are stock, lower miles, matching number cars. Hell they are pretty saught after now with some collectors.
This. I think anything pre-02 won't hold value as well as an 02 for it being the last year of the f-body. I might be partial because I have one but I think something like an 02 firehawk (or CETA) with the right options would hold it's value really well to a collector. The 02 FH was rated the highest of any factory f-body @ 345 (not sure on the 02 SS?), so it kinda looks like it was the "best" factory f-body there was. Add in that its the last year of the T/A + firehawk and it should hold value in good condition/low miles.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Nice Frank Rizzo name drop. The only rare F-body I know about that's held decent value is the '89 Turbo Trans Am. I see those things up on ebay selling for 10k+ all the time. Many sellers like the ones you describe are just in denial because they're too deep $$$ into the cars.
Those guys are right up there with the people who list the car like this:

Those ones are the greatest..
Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Rare and collectible has to do with nostalgia and a lot of other things. It's 20-30 years after production and the sense that "they don't build them like that anymore." And the fact that a lot of them aren't around anymore. Talk about f-bodies being collectible now is a joke.

I remember a Superbird that sat on a used car lot seemingly forever in the mid-seventies. Collectible then? They couldn't sell it. Collectible now? I wish I would have bought it. If you have a perfect, pure stock rare color/option Firehawk and want to sit on it, maybe in 2022 it might be worth something. That is, if the dollar is worth anything then.

Otherwise, enjoy the car, do what you want to it and forget about it. We didn't buy these cars for investments ... and if you did, be prepared to hold on to it for the long haul.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

RevGTO, good post. Time will tell. I predict a nice future for our LS1 cars that are kept truly excellent with lower mileage. I also had the opportunity to buy a MINT Superbird in the early to mid 80's for $25,000. It was a 440, not a hemi. The guy could not sell it for months and months. I thought it was a nice example to have but passed on it.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id never buy a car as an investment. theres safer ways to make money. ill still have my SS in twenty years but i dont expect to profit from it.

ill never pay crazy money for any 4th gen.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

History always repeats itself. In 20 years when nothing on the road looks appealing to us, and everything starts looking like mini-flyin saucers the fbody will be highly sought-after. Even now nothing really looks like'em. No one wants to pay top dollar for a 12 y.o car because they need it as a daily driver. But one day When the car is 25 years old and you don't see them much anymore.... We will all say "Hey nice car! I use to have one, or I've always wanted one! And then the prices will drive back up.